Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Exhaust Recommendations

Little Red needs your advice...or rather I do.

I have been researching my options on the best exhaust for my 7.3 liter and I have been getting a wide array of answers. Since I know you guys actually have personal experience with the products, I would like to get your opinion.

I have it on good authority that the Monster Exhaust from Banks might be the best possible option. I would like to stick to a 4", stainless would be nice.

Currently it has a gutted cat, no muffler, and 4" exhaust pipe all the way back. The truck runs extremely cool, even under load, and given this lack of restriction, I am worried about doing anything to change this. Of course, Red has no muffler so she is obnoxiously loud (which I really don't mind at all)...but there's nothing like the sound of a nice exhaust system, so I really want it to sound good.

I know a nice exhaust will increase performance...I just want to make sure I do it the right way and weight all of my options.

So?? Any golden nuggets?

Thanks!!!

Lisa (AKA Smokin')

Old 06-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Love my MBRP!!! Quiet in the cab, enough noise outside.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Nice trick pocket!!! Where do you live, I think we might be neighbors. I'm usually smokin up the Englewood side of town.

Yeah Red is loud...and to make matters worse she is piped out the side. My passengers can't stand to have their window open because all you can hear is STROKE!..that and it makes my passenger rear tire really dirty and I hate that.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm leaning towards 4" stainless turbo back. Just follow the factory path. Is this the right thing to do? I don't really care about a 5" system, and even though I am half deaf I don't want a lot of noise. The last thing I need is to attract the attention of the law. How loud can I expect a system like this to be. Has anyone reading FTE ever been stopped by the locals finest for noise?

Old 06-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
I have some cop buddies up on the other side of the hill up around Grand Junction..and they've admitted that they stop vehicles for noise violations, but it's usually because the vehicle itself looks suspect. I don't believe any of them have actually given tickets for such.

I actually got stopped for speeding recently and the cop definitely heard the exhaust (its obvious it has no muffler)...and he didn't say a word.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I can speak for one local, and tell you that a straight piped 4 or 5 inch system is nowhere near as annoying or loud as a gasser w/out cats and mufflers. Those gassers are almost as bad as those fartcan riceburners that make a ton of noise and revs but really aren't going anywhere. I almost think I could outrun half of them on my riding mower.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Those gassers are almost as bad as those fartcan riceburners that make a ton of noise and revs but really aren't going anywhere. I almost think I could outrun half of them on my riding mower.
I think i'd pay money to see that!

Old 06-17-2006, 02:02 AM
NavyPowerstroker
More Turbo
The Banks Monster Exhaust is a great system. I have one on my 6.0 and my bro in law has one on his 7.3 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:43 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokin'
I know a nice exhaust will increase performance...I just want to make sure I do it the right way and weight all of my options.
It's not too likely that you will see any change in the performance going to a more expensive exhaust system.

Actually....adding a muffler and lengthening the pipe all the way out back might cost you a tiny bit. Sounds to me like you've got it set up right the way it is. Who cares what the passengers think

Old 06-17-2006, 04:21 AM
ponch37300
Elder User
I have a 5" on my 2003 7.3 and love it. It is quite in the cab and have never been pulled over. Which was a concern of mine when i first heard it. It is extremly loud when you are next to a building or under an overpass and stick it to the floor. I love the whistle of the turbo from the exhaust.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Where do you live, I think we might be neighbors. I'm usually smokin up the Englewood side of town.
I'm in the Parker area, just moved here not quite 2 months ago. If you get a new exhaust system, let me know and I can help you put it in.

BTW, you going to any of the festivities at Bandimire this summer? I think next Sunday is Ford Truck Fest, and next month is Truck Fest.

Woot, off to go camping this weekend! Gonna test my truck on some of the Jeep trails. It's been forever since I've taken her offroad.

Last edited by Pocket; 06-17-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
You just moved to Parker, or to Colorado? This state rocks, with a few places that take exception to that. If you are interested in real backwoods, I am a native and I know all the good places.

My brother happens to be one of the best performance exhaust men in the state...so I don't believe I need help in the installation area. He's incredible and has done most of the high performance and muscle cars in the metro because he does such clean work. I know..yall are thinkin...if your bro is that good, why are you on here askin us about exhaust? Well...I already know what he thinks...but he's a chevy man...so really, I needed to get YOU GUY'S opinion!!!

You know we usually go to Truck Fest...never been to Ford Truck fest...I might have to check that out. Maybe we can hook up next Sunday. My email is dryerlisa@comcast.net.

Have fun campin n wheelin. BTW those trails can get pretty narrow...don't scratch that pretty truck.

;-) Lisa

Old 06-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Thanks for the tips guys!

So no increase in performance ehh? Cost is not really my main concern here .. money is marginal.

I've been reading that the straight back system it has on it now might be the best thing for the stroke. True..it runs fabulously. Should i make the change? I definitely wouldn't mind extending a little to run a pipe out the back. I crawled underneath there a few days ago and noticed room is a little tight with that 35" spare wedged under there...but no doubt we can get that one figured out.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:15 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Happy with my 4in MBRP which is 409 stainless. After all, why payfor 304 stainess when all you see is the stainless tip?

Old 06-17-2006, 10:40 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
With a 35-inch spare, you won't have room for a 5-inch exhaust! Just extending the 4-incher to the stock location might make it quieter inside, but I'm not so sure.

Since you already have an exhaust, have you considered just putting a good (high flow) muffler on it? People who have tried the Aeroturbine swear by it. I haven't tried it because, at well over $200, it seems a bit pricey for me. But you said money was no object. Check it out. It might be just what you need.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Recommendations