1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

ranger guages

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:55 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ranger guages

anyone have a guage pod in their ranger? im looking to get a guage for my tanny temp, and exact alt output, and what else should i do? what are some good brands that are easy to install?

Matt

Old 04-13-2006, 01:07 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have installed a voltmeter which was a very simple job, and an oil pressure gauge which was a bitch. The oil pressure sender is at the right rear of the engine and accessible through the fender well. A T connector to retain the idiot light would not turn until I ground about 1/8 of an inch away, then I had to extend 1" to get clearance for the new sender. Finally all is in and working.
Dono

Old 04-13-2006, 04:43 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll reccommend Autometer gauges, good for the price. Good looks and selection, too. Check eBay for the best prices, especially on pods.

RP
Zach

Voltmeter on the alt, mechanical oil pressure if you want, water temp if you want exact, tranny temp is good, you'll have to find a good spot to mount the sender though, I don't recall there being a pre-tapped hole in the tranny for a temp sender.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:35 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
I'll reccommend Autometer gauges, good for the price. Good looks and selection, too. Check eBay for the best prices, especially on pods.

RP
Zach

Voltmeter on the alt, mechanical oil pressure if you want, water temp if you want exact, tranny temp is good, you'll have to find a good spot to mount the sender though, I don't recall there being a pre-tapped hole in the tranny for a temp sender.
Or if you prefer not to run an oil line through your firewall and dash wiring, you could use an electric oil pressure gauge. The trans oil is available so it is not a problem to plumb up a sender.
Dono

Old 04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you mean the trans oil is available? Enligten me.

I guess I shoulda restated my statement. Not a mechanical oil pressure as in line run into the dash (that's a disaster waiting to happen), but rather a REAL sender with an electric oil pressure gauge. Sorry...not been a good day for me.

RP
Zach

Old 04-14-2006, 06:18 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fordboy, like pilot said. autometer has a nice dual a-pilar pod, it's listed up to 2002 model, but I found it would work on my 04, I just had to take my grab handle off. They also have some universal pods, to mount gauges in various places. I can't help you much on hooking gauges up, I let the shop have all that fun ha ha, good luck.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:20 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
yea, do they all come in black or can i find one to match my factory silver

Matt

Old 04-14-2006, 05:48 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
They come in black, but they sell the vht paint, that is specific to interior colors. On mine, I did alittle light sanding, primer, vht paint (light grey), and then clear coat. turned out really well, you don't need the clear coat, I used it for an extra coat, now it's kinda shinney, wish I hadn't put it on. I may redo it sometime, I hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:25 PM
tekrsq
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ditto what's already been said. I have a dual pillar pod on mine. A few pics are on my cardomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782281

Old 04-15-2006, 12:49 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
wow tekrsq i love ur guages. i have basically the same color interior. how did u paint them? also, does anyone know where i can get green colord guages?

Matt

Old 04-15-2006, 12:56 PM
tekrsq
Mountain Pass
I primed the pod, then used VHT charcoal gray satin (SP-954) color dye. Several THIN coats until I got the color I wanted. It's not a dead match, but it's damn close.

The autometer gauges come with several color filters for the bulbs (green included). You choose your color. Mine are green to match the dash lights.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:18 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
What do you mean the trans oil is available? Enligten me.
RP
Zach
I am referring to an automatic transmission since that is where oil temp problems occur. The oil is fed through lines to the oil cooler and tapping into the line is not difficult.
Dono

Old 04-15-2006, 03:12 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tekrsq
I primed the pod, then used VHT charcoal gray satin (SP-954) color dye. Several THIN coats until I got the color I wanted. It's not a dead match, but it's damn close.

The autometer gauges come with several color filters for the bulbs (green included). You choose your color. Mine are green to match the dash lights.
this is exactly what i want, can you link me?

Matt

Old 04-15-2006, 04:54 PM
tekrsq
Mountain Pass
The VHT dye can be had at just about anywhere.....Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc.

Autometer's home page is www.autometer.com if you want to view everything available. My gauges are the 2 1/16" Phantom series, short sweep, electric gauges. I like the white face with red needle, because I'm going to put in a Sport Trac gauge cluster (as soon as I find one I can afford, lol), and they will match that cluster.

There are tons of places on the net to order from if you choose that route. My local speed shop ordered everything for me, for about $30 cheaper than I could find it online.

Good Luck, and HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2006, 06:31 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Summit racing .com carries the complete line of autometer, and they are resonably priced, a long with the vht dye.

Quick Reply: ranger guages