Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know this has been beat to death, but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know this has been beat to death, but...

My next project is to fix the sway problem that I have read quite a bit about in this forum. Ran into it for the first time towing the boat back from the lake down a long steep hill last weekend. Made things a little interesting. Other than that really like the X. Does exactly what I wanted it to do, pulls the boat up steep grades without slowing down, only shifted down to third a couple times, and even accelerated up the hill! The 318 in the Grand Cherokee that I traded in on this would always lose at least 10 mph on this grade, and the engine temp would start to climb by the time I would get to the top. Have a 7.3 in my 2003, what a difference. Anyway, it seems a majority of people use the Hellwig anti-sway bar for this problem. However I also shoot prairie dogs, and there is just no way to aviod all the craters. What would your opinions be as to the best way to take care of the problem?

thanks,
Trent

Old 04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Trent Fliginger
However I also shoot prairie dogs, and there is just no way to aviod all the craters. What would your opinions be as to the best way to take care of the problem?
I have no problem with hitting all those "critters" using my .22-250 varmint rifle, but what are these "craters" of which you speak?

Old 04-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Those varmits tend to leave rather large holes in the ground, and I some times drive through the fields to make carcasses out of them. There is no way to avoid all the holes so I'll wondering which way to go on dealing with the sway problem mentioned earlier.

thanks

Old 04-12-2006, 05:51 PM
kd5fyx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your 03 came with the factory swaybar just go to the dealer or one of the online ford parts places and order the bar (just the bar) for a superduty. It's bolt on to the factory links and brackets but is a 32mm instead of a 28mm and has quite a bit higher torque figure. If you have no swaybar at all you can pick between the Hellwig and the Ford. The Ford mounts a little neater with less total parts but you have to get a parts guy at the dealer or the online places to gather all the part numbers from the exploded drawing. And since you don't have instuctions you want to take your digital camera and get some shots from under a superduty or late model Ex that has the bar. Should make the install much faster. The Hellwig comes complete and is very strong. I have the Hellwig but I ordered it before some guys figured out the superduty was a bolt on. The bar and high grade shocks will make you very happy. I have Bilsteins but the Rancho 9000's (adjustable) have been almost equally praised by 4wd Ex owners. If you want the absolute best ride replace the springs too. The Ex comes with rears that are too low in capacity but have a very high rate (compression per in.) Some have been very happy with an addaleaf, some (like me) have installed the B codes from an F250/350 2001-2005. Some add air bags if they tow big trailers. But all this said: the sway bar and premium shocks will make you think you have a whole new truck. I can sympathize with your prairie driving; been there done that. Until you get the sway bar and shocks, dropping a rear wheel in a hole will make the EX pitch like a horse with a tight bucking sprap on. If your not belted in you can hit your head on something.

Best of luck,

Jeff