Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Some Very Good Tranny Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:35 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Very Good Tranny Info

With all the heat that these Powerstrokes create I thought THIS was some very good info and had to share with the brothers..

Old 04-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts
It's pretty surprising how quickly an automatic will give up if it gets too hot.
Nothing wrong with having an automatic equipped with the proper protection, but I love my six speed. Absolutly none of those concerns exist.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a very good chart if you are using fluids and materials from the 60's. It's totally useless if you have a modern trans with modern ATF.

That chart is also very useful if you are selling transmission coolers.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes Mr Bass, heat kills, and there should be little arguement the factory trans cooling is marginal at best.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:50 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Casey
That's a very good chart if you are using fluids and materials from the 60's. It's totally useless if you have a modern trans with modern ATF.
Can you expand on the difference in OIL technology, I have yet to see any synthetics that are rated for high temperatures with out affecting oil life. heat breaks the oil down no matter how good or advanced technology has become. It is still oil.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts
I thought it was the clutch packs that get toasted and fall apart, not the deterioration of the ATF due to the excess heat.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I thought it was the clutch packs that get toasted and fall apart, not the deterioration of the ATF due to the excess heat.
accelerated by the loss of the friction modifiers in the burnt fluid

Old 04-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Craven
Senior User
Originally Posted by cangim
Can you expand on the difference in OIL technology, I have yet to see any synthetics that are rated for high temperatures with out affecting oil life. heat breaks the oil down no matter how good or advanced technology has become. It is still oil.
Yes, Casey I would like to know what YOU THINK the optimum tranny temp should be for a modern AT with modern ATF fluid should be.
Here is another chart, not from a cooler dealer.

http://www.niehoff.com/techtips/trans.html

Glenn

Last edited by Craven; 04-08-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:33 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
tranny fluid deteriates extrememly fast at high heat and looses it's lubricating, and friction modifier qualities then shortly there after takes out the clutches, not hte other way around. Once the clutches are engaged they don't slip just like the clutch on your 6 speed but if the oil isn't any good they will get torn up in a hurry on shifts. But an automatic tranny that is shift hunting will put a lot of wear on those clutches in a hurry expecially if it doesn't have any type of shift kit installed so that they slide into gears instead of just engaging.
But on a side note if you have fried your ATF and it's black and smells burnt the fastest way to finish off the tranny is change the fluid. Had a guy come in with a van when I was still working at the chebbie dealer that had towed a boat with the 700R4 tranny, fluid was toast and I at first refused to change it, he insisted and my service manager get him to sign a waiver somehow. I wrote on the back of the ticket that with the fluid that bad I didn't think the tranny would live 50 miles after a fluid and filter change-----it made it 47 miles before it went clear out and had to be towed back to the shop for a new tranny.
BTW that chart looks very similar to what we were taught in tranny class, for every 10deg F. above 175 deg the ATF looses 25,000 miles of service life. And that wasn't some cooler company pushing it but rather a actual school on automatics in the early 90s so guess that throws out the early stone age fluid issue.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 04-08-2006 at 11:36 AM.