Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Flip Chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 03:17 PM
fhartell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flip Chip

Just wondering who makes the best flip chip for the 7.3L? I'm running the SuperChips programmer now & I want to change to a chip. Thanks to all who reply.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:31 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fhartell
Just wondering who makes the best flip chip for the 7.3L? I'm running the SuperChips programmer now & I want to change to a chip. Thanks to all who reply.
Jody Tipton of DP Tuner...hands down!

Old 03-19-2006, 03:33 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Can't repeat all here - but do a search for "Jody Tipton" or "DP Tuner". Jody is one of the two best 7.3 tuners around (well, most people think so, anyway) and DP Tuner is his company.

Also, do a search for "Tony Wildman". He is the OTHER highly respected 7.3 tuner, and he is even a sponsor of this forum. I just don't know what he has to offer.

I have a DP Tuner 6-position chip - and, like my highly customized Ruger Bisley .44 revolver, they'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get it away from me.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:36 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a TS performance chip and i like it, but i am basing off of the guys here, who have DPtuner chips, that i would recommend him. i am waiting for Catman963 to change from TS to DP, and see what he says.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
I have one from Diesel Innovations in Houston. It seems ok. I have nothing to compare it to. The only thing I don't like about it is that on the upper two settings it slams into overdrive pretty hard. I usually run it on one of the lower two settings as they shift a little better. Mine has settings of - stock, tow (40 hp), 70 hp, 100 hp, 140 hp, idle only (may not be exact settings, but close). I have seen no improvement in mpg with any or all of my "upgrades". It will get up and go though.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:51 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
That is one of the best things about Jody Tipton's chips - he sets the tuning parameters based on <b>your</b> PCM - he won't send you your chip until you provide him with the exact code number from the side of the PCM. The tuning parameters include tranny shift tuning.

I love the power of Jody's tunes - but I love the improvement in shifting even more. I would be happier with my truck with stock power output but shifting as it now does, rather than high power and shifting the way it used to.

What is different? All shifts are crisp and clean - and RARELY do I get a harsh shift. The 3rd to 4th shift and the torque converter lockup are now separate, so I no longer get that dreaded 1200rpm drop when it stupidly shifts into 4th and locks the TC at the same time - as it usually did with the stock tune AND with the Edge Evo.

Also, TC lockup works much better. Stock, my TC would UNLOCK if I touched the brakes. Why? That is a STUPID idea. I'm on a mountain road, I touch the brakes, and now the engine isn't helping to slow me down. Just dumb. Even worse - with the EVO, the TC would unlock when I backed off the throttle, leaving my 6400 pound vehicle COASTING down mountain roads with nothing but the brakes to slow me down. Yuck.

Anyway, now - once the TC locks, at 35 to 38 mph under light throttle (most of the time), it STAYS locked even if the brakes are pressed - as long as the speed is above 38. If OD is locked out, then the TC stays locked down to 28mph. If I have the OD locked out and the TC is locked, and I start down a REALLY steep grade, I can downshift to 2nd and the TC will remain locked down to 28.

The power is nice (actually, the power is really great!), but the changes in shifting and TC lockup behavior have transformed the truck - it is easier to drive, more predictable, and MUCH better on winding mountain roads, because I can now count on a little help from the engine when going downhill.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Wow, sounds like I got screwed. I was sold on the idea that DI custom tunes their chip to your make and model. That they were the only ones that did that. Mine doesn't act anything like you described. My 3rd and OD engage at the same time. Not sure about the TC lock up. Anybody know if Jody can take my 6 pos chip and burn in his programming?

Old 03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
They HAVE to tune to your make and model, as tuning for a Duramax or Cummins won't work on a PSD. But but if they didn't require your PCM code, they can't tune as precisely as someone who works with the exact PCM that is in your truck.

To get the PCM code, <i>you have to remove the PCM from the truck and look at the code on the side of it.</i> You can't get it by looking at the VIN. If they didn't require you to remove the PCM, they can't 'custom' tune for the particular PCM you have.

OD <i><b>is</i></b> 4th gear, so you aren't getting 3rd plus overdrive. What is happening is exactly what mine was doing - 4th + TC lockup.

The way the 4R100 trans works stock - you start in 1st, it shifts to 2nd, then 3rd, then TC lockup and 4th (OD) come at about the same time. I don't know why, but the engine bogs as it drops about 1200rpms.

With the Jody Tipton tune, start in 1st, shift to 2nd, shift to 3rd, TC lockup at 38 (feels like another shift), then 4th (OD) at about 45. Unless you know about the TC lockup, it now feels like it is a 5 speed.

PS - I dont' know if he can burn your 6-pos chip with his tunes. You'd have to contact him and ask. Look on DP-tuner.com for contact info.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:05 PM
TXsnyper
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have contacted Jody about reburn before. He says that he will no longer reburn someone elses chip IF it has there name on it. Don't know why, but thats what he told me. I say scratch off DI from the chip and send it his way. Or maybe stop by DI (if your in Houston) and tell them you are not too happy with it.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:24 AM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Arninetyes, Yes, that sounds more like it od + tc lock at the same time. Your shifting sequence sounds a whole lot better. I will contact DI to see if they can change it. They may have read the PCM before they burned the chip, don't really remember, but it sure doesn't act like the DP chip.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:25 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DP chip is the hands down winner!!

None of the companies should be re-burning each other's chips anymore. They made an agreement some time ago, that they will only re-burn their own chips.

See this thread for some more info about Tony and Jody:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s....php?p=3520435