Oil & Lubrication  

Transmission Fluid-checking level

Old 02-19-2006, 09:14 PM
okst1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid-checking level

I'm having a heck of a time checking my transmission fluid. Maybe it's because I'm getting old but when I try to check the fluid level while it's hot and the vehicle is running in Park, I can't seem to see the level and it always appears to me that fluid it running down the stick at a level higher than what I see. My questions are: Do you have a trick for seeing an accurate level on the stick? Why do you have to check the level with the transmission hot and the truck running? The power steering has levels for cold and hot. Why not for the transmission? I seem to be able to see the transmission level when it's cold. Sorry for the dumb questions but I've been wondering about this for a long time.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:47 AM
cmlind
Senior User
I too am curious why there isn't a cold and hot line. It has to be running so the fluid is suspended in the torque converter and such. When it is not running, there would be different amounts of fluid up in the tranny depending on many factors such as age adn time sitting. It is real easy to overfill a transmission. Usually the fluid will be just below the add mark on the dipstick when cold and running in park if you want to try that first, then try to read it hot. I pull the dipstick and making sure there is good light hold it as level as possible while rotating back and forth it in the light and quickly read it. Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 AM
T- Squared
Junior User
If you're asking about your X, with the 4R100 in it, the system has a dry fill capacity of over 17qts. Once you bring all that fluid up to temp, you can imagine the expansion that takes place. I scuffed the back of the dipstick with sandpaper and that helps with the level checking. Also try reversing the dipstick so the hash marks are facing the rear. Once you get the level where you want it hot, check it cold the next morning and remember where the level was.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to follow the manual pretty much. One thing the manual specifies is how long you have been running and what speeds, before you check level.

I think it has to be something like 5 minutes at freeway speed and not more than 30. Also the outside air temp is usually specified. Plus you have to be level and you have to shift thru the gears in a specified sequence.

I assume you are wiping the stick dry along most of its lower half and then inserting and reading the level.

Fluid that is old may have turned a bit pink which is hard to see.

If you have been running hard and long, the fluid may have made it's way up the dipstick tube and is coating your stick higher than the actual level.

It can be tricky, so I usually do it a couple times and then repeat a day or so later.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My E4OD had two sets of level marks, cold and hot. It still had to be running to fill the converter. The cold was easier to read, two holes drilled in the dipstick, the hot scale was the usual embossed pattern.

Jim

Old 02-20-2006, 06:49 PM
okst1
Elder User
I am having the most trouble seeing the bronco line for the e4od. I didn't realize that their were two sets of marks.

I'll also try scuffing the hatch marks to see if that helps.

If this doesn't work, I'll ask the 18 year old kid next door to tell me what he sees.

thanks

Old 02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
On occasion I too have had trouble reading mine.

I found it helps to wipe the dip stick clean over it's entire length, reinsert it quickly, count one housand one, one thousand two & quickly without delay, pull it again.

Leaving it longer than about 2 seconds, will allow any splash to wet the stick & make it harder to read.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
On occasion I too have had trouble reading mine.

I found it helps to wipe the dip stick clean over it's entire length, reinsert it quickly, count one housand one, one thousand two & quickly without delay, pull it again.

Leaving it longer than about 2 seconds, will allow any splash to wet the stick & make it harder to read.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:59 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone once suggested a series of tiny holes drilled into the stick would hold fluid to show the level.

I do the hot checks as specified in the manual, but also after it has sat shut off a long time, pull the stick and note where the fluid is. I think it generally will be at that level after it sits overnight or longer. Still, the OEM spec method should be used occasionally too.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
My E4OD had two sets of level marks, cold and hot. It still had to be running to fill the converter. The cold was easier to read, two holes drilled in the dipstick, the hot scale was the usual embossed pattern.

Jim
Yeah, that's how I always knew the cold level. If is was between the 2 holes when cold it was good. If it was hot/warmed up it should be in the cross-hatched area. Do the new trucks still have this? It was a good idea.

-Matt