Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Overdrive Cancel switch not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:56 PM
ggirten
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive Cancel switch not working

I just replaced my flexplate and reinstalled my tranny. The overdrive cancel switch will not work. I believe the overdrive is working, just can't kick it out. I checked the fuse and replaced the button. All wires checked to the tranny. Anyone know which set of wires to the tranny contain the overdive? I am going to check them from point to point, but would like to narrow the search.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
The two shift solenoids in the 4R100 are the OG/YE and VT/YE (tranny pins 3 and 2).

Old 01-17-2006, 07:27 PM
ggirten
Senior User
Thanks for the info. Is that on the main plug? There are 5 plugs I think, although 1 or 2 go to the transfer case.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can check the wires on the trans all you want and you won't fix this problem. The OD switch and light are not connected to the transmission. They connect to the PCM. The PCM then decides when the shift the transmission.

Most likely the wires are broken where the steering column tilts, which is right where the wires exit the end of the shifter. Take the plastic cover off the steering column and you can get to it.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:45 AM
ggirten
Senior User
I will check that this weekend. When I swapped my flexplate, I noticed the wires in the main plug on the tranny's right side had the bare wires showing. Looked like someone had pulled on the wires instead of the plug. I seperated them and then sealed them with silicone to protect them from the weather. Could have one of them broken at the plug.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Ambmech8
New User
It si possible the wires were pulled out but I must aggree about the wire in the shifter. They are very small and break easy after time and usage.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
ggirten
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to look into it this weekend.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:21 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ambmech8
It si possible the wires were pulled out but I must aggree about the wire in the shifter. They are very small and break easy after time and usage.
I would agree with the shifter wires but since ggirten just had the tranny out, I have to believe the problem lies in the plugs/wires/connections at the tranny. Sorry ggirten, I can't tell you which plug comes from the pcm.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Ambmech8
New User
The wiring harness your looking for is on the right rear near the tail shaft, it goes into the main plug for the shift solenoids and such. the overdrive switch goes into the PCM then the PCM tells the trans what to do. The wires to the PCM from the switch are Tan/white and white/light green.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 AM
rafman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Casey
You can check the wires on the trans all you want and you won't fix this problem. The OD switch and light are not connected to the transmission. They connect to the PCM. The PCM then decides when the shift the transmission.

Most likely the wires are broken where the steering column tilts, which is right where the wires exit the end of the shifter. Take the plastic cover off the steering column and you can get to it.
I've got a similiar problem that seems to be more intermittent. If it's in Park, the OD lite turns on and off. But once I put it in D the OD lite stays off although every once in awhile it might work in D.

So I removed the 3 screws on the steering column housing but it looks like the igition switch is in the way. Is it just the 3 screws that need to be removed?
Oh yea, it's a 2001 F250.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Ambmech8
New User
yes, the cover is in 2 pieces top and bottom, the harness runs along the bottom of the column.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:06 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Rafman,

Read this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=421538

Maybe it will help.

Pop

Old 01-24-2006, 02:18 PM
ggirten
Senior User
Opened my column up this past weekend. Everything looks good there. I guess the next step is to remove the suspect plug from the tranny and go through the wiring there. I suppose if this needs to be replaced, it is a dealer item and the whole harness would have to be replaced..

Old 01-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by ggirten
Opened my column up this past weekend. Everything looks good there. I guess the next step is to remove the suspect plug from the tranny and go through the wiring there. I suppose if this needs to be replaced, it is a dealer item and the whole harness would have to be replaced..
Were you able to establish that the pushbutton is actually sending a signal with a multimeter?

Old 01-24-2006, 02:21 PM
ggirten
Senior User
BTW, I checked the plug at the end of the shifter for the OD cancel switch. According to the manual, it seems to be gettiing power in the right places.

Quick Reply: Overdrive Cancel switch not working