Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Flame Thrower

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:38 PM
daveee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only hope you realize soon how stupid this idea is.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Hooker Bob
Senior User
When I was a kid we would just pull the choke on load the engine with lots of fuel then turn the ign switch off let engine drag down a bit then turn the switch back on.
Lots of flames and noise. Dont try this if you don't have glass packs or straights. Unless you want to blow your mufflers to hell and gone.

Pat

Old 01-18-2006, 01:51 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stupid no, crazy yes, legal no, fun yes, boring no, entertaining yes, so if it's not harming you in any way it shouldn't concern you. Were all different, call it a forum of expression or maybe the little man inside crying out for help, who knows?
.....=o&o>.....

Old 01-18-2006, 02:05 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Ivan, I was thinking on the idea of a timer with switches that can be programed 1/10 second and longer to control a DP relay for left right alternation. Run a small propane tank like the VW camper vans have, 6 1/2" x 23" long, easy to hide in the frame. Adjust pressure and jet size for flame size. I just want a blue/white flash inside the 4 1/2" tips on deceleration only which will be controlled by a app 24" vacuum switch on the intake manifold.
No ignition cut out, gasoline or engine damage. JMO's.
.....=o&o>.....

Old 01-18-2006, 03:18 PM
BIG-BAD-794X4
Freshman User
Well I do not think it is stupid at all, unless I do it when there is a cop right behind me.
I do like the sound of seperate fuel lines to both pipes, but where does the fuel come from? A smaller tank or the mane fuel tank?
would i get bigger flames with gas or propane?

Old 01-18-2006, 10:11 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by daveee
I only hope you realize soon how stupid this idea is.
Uh, yeah, I realized how stupid it was long ago . . . why else do you think I'd be doing it?

Yes, my plan is for a small fuel cell (1-5 gallon) which I'll mount in the bed of the truck. If you didn't want to use space in your truck bed there's plenty of room under the truck to mount it so long as you keep it easy to refill. You could quite possibly put another fitting on your regular fuel tank and use that too.

I've heard of people using propane and I suppose it would work but you'd want to shut the valve off when you weren't using it. If the valve isn't mounted in the cab (and I don't think you'd want a propane tank in cab) then you have to hassle with that. You'll still need 12v solenoids to actually release it into the exhaust too. With gasoline it's available anytime you want with just the push of a button. Then if you want to be a fancy pants . . . and I do, then you can use a seperate solenoid for each side. So you have a main switch to turn on your pump, then momentary buttons for each solenoid. This would allow you to be able to throw flames from one side or the other or both if your exhaust is a side exit.

Bonus tip of the day: If you're good with chemistry and you use an indepentant fuel cell for the flame thrower you can use additives that will allow you to color your flames, blue, green, RED . . . you can do some pretty unique things with it.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:13 AM
jimlj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I read this thread, I'm thinking how I grumble every time I fill the tanks on my truck. I can't immagine adding more cost to the fill up so I can throw flames. It would look cool though. To each his own...

Old 01-19-2006, 10:25 AM
74 F100 351m
Elder User
Ivan why couldn't you use a 12 voit air valve like one in an air ride truck for the propane. Then you wouldn't have the propane in the cab.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:09 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 74 F100 351m
Ivan why couldn't you use a 12 voit air valve like one in an air ride truck for the propane. Then you wouldn't have the propane in the cab.
I think you could use them to actually release the propane when needed, I just don't know that they seal up well enough to keep it from slowly leaking out over a period of time. But I could be wrong, I'm not terribly familiar with those valves.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:39 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Use a electric propane shutoff valve rated for propane motors like on aux generators on motorhomes, propane powered floor polishers and vehicles. Look into Grainger's. Ivan, add 3 tanks so you can have flames go out at Red, White and Blue, but officer i'm just a "Patriotic American" showing my colors.
.....=o&o>.....

Old 01-19-2006, 12:30 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
add 3 tanks so you can have flames go out at Red, White and Blue, but officer i'm just a "Patriotic American" showing my colors.
I think you may have just come up with the most elaborate and most expensive project of my life.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:50 PM
countryF150
Senior User
Ivan, what size pump would you use to pump it and for how long would you need to leave it on before igniting them? Thanks

Old 01-19-2006, 02:05 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
don't need a big pump and not for too long. Things to keep in mind with flamethrowers.

The spark has to be as close to the tip as possible whilst keping it out of view. As this is flagrantly illegal to do to your truck, the fuzz can nail you if he sees the plugs, coils, or anything else. (Stacy on trucks did kinda clock his to the wrong position IMO)

Use a seperate fuel source, it's the least headache way of doing this. Even if you have cats, as long as they aren't resrictive, you can plumb the nozzles past the cats and still have flames.

I like propane because it is a gas, Gasoline on the other hand has to be put through some sort of injector so that you can get it as atomized as possible. I'm probably paranoid but I always worry about the stuff pooling in the pipes and causing a masive backfire.

For propane, you can get your nozzles from the friendly folks making nitrous kits. They will also sell you a motorized bottle opener that I think will work for a propane tank. The rest of the plumbing you can make yourself, and I suspect that you could make a cheaper nozzle as well.

Keep the engine spooling while you let it fly, or you will get in the record books for backfire of the century.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:49 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
I have the bungs welded near the tips, plugs installed with high tension leads that go into the frame not hooked up to anything just for ha, ha's. Show me where this is illegal and the code violation number for a non functioning item please. So if I have some ssspent brass on the floor of the truck that means I have a loaded firearm stuffed in the glove box, crushed beer cans in the bed means i'm DUI?
......=&o>.....

Old 01-19-2006, 03:55 PM
n9lhm
Senior User
Does this sound to anyone else like a Darwin Award waiting to happen ?

Quick Reply: Flame Thrower