new 61 eco, lottsa questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:48 AM
erock805
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new 61 eco, lottsa questions

So I picked up a 61 eco with a 170 6. steering seems to drift a bit, a little trouble idling, Brakes are good, shifts sloppy but doesnt slip. Could anyone point me to a company that makes headers (header) for these things?

I was told that the steering play is adjustable from a locking screw on the steering box...any one tried that one?

The turn signals dont cancel, is that as easy as replacing the turn signal cam?

Any advise on sealing the cab up? I am getting some fumes.

I appreciate any help and advise...thanks so much.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:57 AM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not know anything about an adjusting screw to tighten the steering. My 64 has worn kingpins that cause the truck to be loose in the steering and wander on the road. Also the stabilizer bolts and bushings cause the truck to sway if worn out also. I replaced them on mine and it helped. I would take it in and have the front end checked, then go from there as to what needs to be done. The kingpins will be the biggest expense.
The signal switches sound like they are broken and need to be replaced. You can get thoses through Macs Econoline or Dennis Carpenter Products they make replacement parts of these.
Fumes coming in are from the doghouse not sealing. They originally had a insulating mat on the lid of the engine compartment. Over time they get torn or removed. If you can replace it great. The other is the rubber seal could also be all torn up or gone. These trucks always were not that quiet. The other thing is how good of shape is the doghouse. Did someone drill a bunch of holes into it like my 64 had when I got it. They did this to mount a 2nd heat and radios and speakers. So I had to get another front peice of the doghouse. If so you can only use the doghouse parts of econos up to 64. 65's have a larger doghouse and mount a bit differently. The heaters are on the floor up to 64 and in 65 they were mounted on the front cab wall.
Anyways whatever you do and have questions post them here someone will usually get back to you.
Heres one to look for. The shifter tends to wear at the linkage at the bottom of the column. This is because people forget to grease the zircon fitting there. It wears the shaft and bushings. I took mine and had it built up and reground down and new bushings put on it, It now shifts nicer and does not bind trying to get in gear. Just check to see if it binds or not shift nice into gear. If it has trouble have someone do the shifting and you watch from outside through the grill at the linkage. You would see the shift levers flopping a bit sideways instead of just sliding nicely. This is just something else to look for.
But I will tell you one thing once you have it up and going. It is one fun truck to drive.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:21 PM
erock805
New User
awesome...thanks so much..

Old 12-28-2005, 09:35 PM
j-md
Senior User
Pick up a service manual on e-bay ... Bought one for ten bucks plus shipping for my '66 Falcon Van. It has saved me thousands in frustration and sorting through mechanics and parts counter Poo Poo. It's great to show up with the exact picture and make the parts "gurus" eat their words and catalogues.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:07 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your welcome I will e-mail the v8 install later or try to e-mail it in your user mail. If not I would need your e-mail which you have to privately mail me in the user. Just click on my 66gpw and there you can e-mail me. I'm on dial up so it takes a while to send.