Notices

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 05:23 PM
spidk43
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Window Tint

I'm looking to tint my windows on my supercab F-150. It's white and I think tint would make it look nicer/better. and I'm looking to spend money.

What color tint should I go with? The truck is white with red pinstripe and 4x4 logo.

How much would it cost me to purchase the tint and do it myself?

Does a DIY job look clean and is it easy to perform, or should I go to somebody else? I want to spend money, but not money that I don't have to spend.

Does anybody know the legal stuff about tinting in Michigan or where i can find it (as far as tinting front windows)?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 12-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Dark Nemesis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't recommend anyone in Michigan, if Maryland I've got a great place.

As for doing it yourself...I don't know anyone who has tried, but I'm sure you've seen as many bad tinting jobs driving around as me over the years. Fair bet a bunch of those were DIY jobs gone wrong

I guess a non-professional could get a really high quality result, but in the best interest of your vehicle and your sanity I'd say get a tinting shop with a good reputation to do it.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Ranger_113
New User
Me and all my buddies do it ourselfs it takes a lot of practice and a couple of screw ups but we got al our trucks looking pretty good. If you dont have someone to help you and dont have a lot of patience I personally woulnt go through the hassle and would just take it in.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:46 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
I'd go with black.

As for DIY, i purchased 5% and tried to do it...The extended cab windows came out great, but the two front ones arent good. haha, I'd take it to a pro.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:53 PM
spidk43
Senior User
I have a friend who's black (politically correct, african american) and asked him about it and he said that if I went too dark (around here anyway) I would get pulled over lol

How did the back window turn out?

How much did it cost to purchase the tint?

Where did you buy it?

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2005, 06:54 PM
kontai69
Senior User
Here is a list of what is legal where...
http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

I personally have 20% tint on a white truck and it looks great. I used to have 5% (limo) tint. It looked really awesome during the day, but at night I just couldn't see out the windows! Also, the factory window glass already has some tint, which will make the windows darker than the tint "shade" alone.

As for doing it yourself, this site has good tips...
http://www.tintdude.com

I personally would let a reputable shop do it. You could spend hours trying to make it look good, *uck it up, and wind up taking to a shop in the end anyway. :-)

Tint shops have plenty of practice, use high grade tint, and warranty their work for life. Llumar and SunGard are too quality brands of tint to look for.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 PM
spidk43
Senior User
that site was pretty helpful, sweet

Anybody have an idea what it would co$t??

Know any good places around Central Michigan?

Old 12-21-2005, 07:40 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
I bought two rolls for $10-12 a roll.

Getting it pro done including 2 Front, 2 extended, and Rear would probly run like $120 or so here where I live.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:38 PM
DannoNY
Senior User
I had a shop do mine to match the rear of my supercab - check out pics in my gallery. I've tinted in the past, the pros definitely know all the important tricks so it stays nice.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:09 AM
hearing8
New User
There is dyed films and metal films....dyed films will fade quickly and turn purple...any colored film is dyed.

Metal films will not fade and cost more $$$

To apply tint grap a hairdryer and cut the film to fit the outside of the window, then use the hairdryer to "shrink" the film to fit. Remember that the film has two different sides...one with glue and one side with out....when cutting the film make sure you have the glue side facing the right way. Obviously make sure everything is clean. when applying film use a very little amount of dish soap in a spraybottle of water....test fit the cut film, spray the window with a good amount of water from your spray bottle, then pull the clear sheet off the adhesive side...making sure the window is still good and wet (apply more soapy water if needed), use a squeege to apply the film to the window....tahhhhh daaaaaa...your done.

Do not roll the windows down for 24 hours so the film has time to dry out.

In truth it is a lot harder than it sounds to do it right. A tint shop can do most cars in about an hour....first timers may take you all day....and with our trucks a normal cost is about $140 with a metal film...$99 for a dyed film....

If anyone wants to know how to get old tint off (there is easy tricks) just ask.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:20 PM
spidk43
Senior User
Good info about the metal and dye films. I did not know that.

I'm slightly confused. You cut the film to fit and then shrink it to fit?

I met a guy who works a lot on cars (he's currently restoring a 1946 Chevy truck, which is totally cooleven if it is a chevy, all he has left is to put the engine back together) He said he's done it a few times and it looked good, and is going to help me out.

It being colder (especially to you texans) here in michigan, should I wait until it warms up to get it done?

I'm sure you've already been welcomed, but welcome again hearing8, and dark nemesis as well. And a Happy Holiday to all.

Thanks for all your suggestions/tips/info. I'll update when I get it done assuming it can be done during winter. Please stop me if I'm wrong

Matt

Old 12-26-2005, 09:47 AM
hearing8
New User
Thanks for the welcome....

Just cut a piece of film off that will more than cover the window...then use a razor blade to trim it to fit the outside of the window....then use the hairdryer to shrink it....be careful to not apply too much heat as it will mess up the film...

As far as temperature...I'm from San Diego and now live in Scottsdale...so I have no idea what its like tinting near the artic circle...LOL

Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
HavingDoubts
New User
What is an easy way to get window tint off? I have a white F-150 with the purple tinting, and I would much rather get black put on. The local tint shop said that it would cost more to take off the old tint than it would to put new tint on, so I want to take it off myself and let them put on black tint.Thanks for any help.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:39 PM
hearing8
New User
To get window tint off of a rear window with defroster lines:

Get some Black garbage bags. trim the garbage bags on the outside like I described above for the tint. Get out your spray bottle of soapy water and wait for a a sunny Hot day. Not cloudy...no kinda of sunny....a sunny day. Park the car so the window that needs to be stripped is facing the sun. Soak the inside of the window with the soapy water and place the garbage bag on the inside of the window....now here is the key....just wait! Normally in a couple of hours the garbage bag and soapy water combo will "steam" the tint and glue off....but sometimes it won't get it all off. In that case get a "white" scrubbing pad that is designed for non-stick pans and use that...just try to be carefull. There is no need for caustic chemicals.

removing window tint from non defroster windows....
Soapy water and razor blades...and a bunch of elbow grease!

Just take your time and make sure you have all the old tint and glue off...if you miss any you are screwed when you apply the new tint.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:03 PM
HavingDoubts
New User
Thanks hearing8. I will try that once it warms up.

Quick Reply: Window Tint