Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

ABS and Rear Differential Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 AM
the_merlin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS and Rear Differential Fluid

I have a '99 Explorer 4x4 v6 XLT. My abs light came on and I am seeing that I should change out the speed sensor on the driver's front side of the rear differential. I'd like to change the differential fluid at the same time. However, I have never done such a thing before and I'm not very savy with maintenance. Can someone please provide me with very detailed instructions on how to change the differential fluid? I'm hoping I can do this without jacking or putting it up on blocks. Trust me, you can't provide enough details, even how to remove the cover. Do I need special tools?

Old 12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
the_merlin
New User
Come on. All these views and no one willing to help a fellow ford owner?

Old 12-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Maybe because you question is autoshop 101 material. If you know enough to know there is a speed sensor in the diff to control the ABS system that's relatively advanced over changing diff fluid. But here you go.

I usually start by getting a 6 pack on ice. Leave it right next to the truck so I don't have to go to far for a new one.

If your car is stock, you'll need to jack it up a few inches, unless you're really skinny. Then place a drain pan under the diff. Remove the rear cover and watch the fluid por into the pan. You'l get a couple quarts out. Then start cleaning the cover with degreaser. When I get all the oil off, I wash it with soap and water to get all the oil residue off. This way, the RTV is sure to stick when I reinstall it.

Now before you started all this you first verified wether you have a locking diff right? Is it limited slip or not? If so you went to the auto parts store and got 5 oz of friction modifier when you picked up the 80/90 gear oil and a new FelPro brand rear diff cover gasket. Don't worry that it didn't have a gasket when you took it off. You want to use one this time since the stamp metal has bent under the original torque of the bolts.

You have now cleaned the diff cover and the outside housing of the axel where the RTV sealant will go. Place a bead of RTV around the axel housing and make a circle around each bolt hole. do the same on the diff cover and place the gasket on the cover then the cover on the axel and torque the bolts down in an even pattern.

To fill, the fill plug is on the driver's side top, next to the gas tank. This is kind of tough to get to but use a hose or something to gain access. Add the friction modifier if you need it. Then the gear oil until it starts spilling out the level check port - I guess on the front, side of the diff. Butten it back up and you're done.

Your speed sensor can probably be cleaned and still work so try that first before you buy a new one.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:59 AM
oshoguno
Senior User
Maybe you should also wait more than 7 daytime hours for a response. Most of us work during the day and do our responses at night. You might try waiting at least a day before complaining about a lack of response.