Sponsored by: Moser

ZF 5 speed conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 08:15 PM
redmuddy76
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZF 5 speed conversion

I have a ZF 5 speed from a '90 460. I am putting it in a 77 F-250 with a 460. The NP-205 bolts to the 5 speed and the 5 speed bolts to the engine fine. The problem is that the input shaft on the 5 speed is a 1/2 inch shorter then the input shaft on the 4 speed. I can resolve the pilot bushing problem, but the clutch disc will not reach the splines on the input shaft on the transmission. Should I have a machine shop made a 1/2 inch spacer to go between the crankshaft and fly wheel or is there a flywheel that will compensate for the 1/2 inch differance? My only concern is with a different fly wheel is motor balace. I would appreciate some advice on what will make this work. Thank you very much.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:46 PM
79 ford lil boy
New User
cant you just bolt the flywheel from the 90 460 and clutch and all to your old motor but as far as balance on the motor with the different flywheel im not so sure i dont think that the flywheels are matched to motors but i pretty sure that flywheels are balanced them selfs when they were made hope i could help

Old 11-30-2005, 09:08 PM
highway90
Senior User
1) How are you hooking up the clutch linkage?
2) Did you have to move any crossmembers / brackets ?
3) I assume that the 460/ZF-5/NP205 are all "married together"?

Sounds like a cool transplant. Make sure to upload some pics. I am thinking about doing the same kind of swap myself..

Old 11-30-2005, 09:46 PM
redmuddy76
New User
To answer answer 79 lil boy first. I have not looked at a '90 fly wheel yet, that is going to be the next thing to do. My understanding is that with a motor built more then stock that the flywheel is part of the whole balance of the motor.
highway 90, I am going to use my linkage with the '90 clutch fork. In these year 5 speeds the hydraulic slave cylinder mounted to the side of the bell housing. That bracket has to be cut off so that the linkage bracket can bolt there. There is no drilling required. Best that I can measure, the 5 speed is only 3/4 inch longer and only requires redrilling holes in the mounting plate that goes on the cross member. Also it is a married transfer case. I will send pictures when I complete the install and the information needed to do the complete install, once I get it all completely figured out. I am new to the site and do not know how to send or post pictures. Please tell me how.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:31 PM
DeanG
Junior User
I did that swap a couple years ago (see my gallery). Since you are bolting it up to a 460 you shouldn't have any problems with input shaft length. The problem should have been with your 4 speed requiring and extra spacer on your bellhousing to block setup. What year is your 460? Older ones were internal balanced and then they switched to external in 79 it think. I got my flywheel from L & L. Spendy but worth it cause they are hard to come by since ford didn't make 460/4spd combos in trucks.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:45 PM
DeanG
Junior User
Almost forgot...I also did away with the external slave cylinder and used my mechanical linkage with the 89 throwout fork. I had to cut and weld a chunk into the fork though because the leverage just wasnt there with the stock length. A real left leg killer until I extended it. Also be aware that the ZF throwout bearing always rides on the clutch diaphram fingers..because there are no clips for the throwout bearing there is no way for the clutch fork to pull it back away from the fingers. Next you will have to cut a notch in the rear tranny flange in order for the transfer case shift rod to clear it. I used a tranny to tcase gasket for a template. You should be able to use your old tcase shifter with a little cutting/welding/grinding to make the stick angle correct where it goes up through the floor and use one the ZF lugs to bolt it to. Then there is the rear mount. Although the tranny is only 3/4 in longer than the old setup, if memory serves me correct, the holes are a little more off than that. I welded a plate to the back of my crossmember for new rear mounting holes and used a stock 89 rear tranny mount.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:49 PM
redmuddy76
New User
DeanG. The 460 is suppost to be a '72 out of a Linclon. The 4 speed is a T-18 Borg Warner from a '79. The bell housing does not have a spacer and I thought it was of a 351M. I am measuring the 1/2 inch difference from the face of the bell housing, is that not correct? What was the flywheel for, the year of the truck or the year of the transmission? Thank you for the information.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:57 PM
DeanG
Junior User
The flywheel was for an early, internal balance 460. L & L provided the center bushing made to fit the ZF input shaft. My original tranny was a NP435 and so I'm not certain about the T-18 length. What kind of flywheel were you running on your 77's 460?

Old 12-01-2005, 12:38 AM
redmuddy76
New User
DeanG, I am not certain of the year of the flywheel, because I bought the motor from a friend who had somebody else build it. However I have just thought of some thing. When I installed the 460 in my truck, the clutch would not disengage. Not till after removing the motor, did I realize that the thoughout bearing retainer was pushing against the clutch disc. So I removed the bearing retainer, and cut it back so that it would not be in the way. Now it all makes sense. What I really needed was a bellhousing spacer. If I remmeber correctly, I had to cut about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch on the bearing retainer. So also what it comes down to is that when I was measuring the input shaft on the transmission, I was not taking into consideration how far the input shaft on the 4 speed went into the pilot bushing and how close the splines are to the flywheel. So I think that you are correct, there is no problem. What I was doing was trying to measure everything before I put it together. I will have to find out more about what flywheel I have, but because of the year of the motor, it should be an internal balance. The friend that I bought the motor from thinks also that it is an internal balance. Again, I thank you for the information. Let me know if all this sounds correct. Sorry if I do not respond till tomorrow.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 AM
DeanG
Junior User
Redmuddy:
Everything you said in your last post sounds correct. Just remember, the ZF was originally made to mount to a 460 (old or new the bellhousing part of the block hasn't changed) and the T-18 wasn't. So it stands to reason that the shaft length would be correct. As far as your current flywheel goes, your guess is as good as mine. You might even have an old 390 FE flywheel, I heard of several people doing that but I wasn't willing to risk it. You should do a search on these topics in this and the transmission forums..there's lots of info in here. Oh and welcome to FTE. Best forum on the web IMO.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Ian F
Elder User
Great info Dean!

Btw, your truck looks great! EXACTLY what I want to build some day. If you ever decide to sell it let me know! (although I'm sure there is a line of "buyers" already ahead of me... )

Old 12-01-2005, 08:45 AM
redmuddy76
New User
DeanG. Thank you for all the information. I knew that I was not the only one putting a ZF 5 speed in this year truck. The information will greatly help.