Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 11:40 PM
mightypan42
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust questions

I was poking around my truck this evening, paying particular attention to the exhaust, and came up with some questions that I wasn't able to find through searching. (btw, I've got an '05 3.0L Ranger) Be ye forewarned... I don't know what I'm talking about, and I sometimes ask questions where the answer is obvious. I try to learn from my mistakes... and get a lot of oppotunities.

1) First off, I want to get my terminology right... I think I've figured out what's what, but I want to be sure. From my engine back, it goes: exhaust manifolds -> headers -> downpipes -> pre-cats -> cat -> muffler -> out

2) I keep hearing about resonators, and can't help but think I've got at least one. Perhaps what I IDed as pre-cats are actaully resonators?

3) I'm not sure about the pre-cats & cat in #1, because the "cat" I have brings the pipes from either side of the engine together double-in/single-out style. To my way of thinking, if what I IDed as the "cat" was just supposed to Y the pipes together, it wouldn't be so engineered... the pipes would just Y together, and continue on to the muffler. The terminology in #1 is mainly coming from putting a name to the parts that aren't plain old exhaust pipe.

4) Stock 3.0L Ranger exhaust is 2.25", correct?

5) Previously, I'd been considering getting a Gibson exhaust, JBA headers, and high-flow cat, but the more I think about it, I don't think a full header-back exhaust system is what I should have. I live in a fairly quiet neighborhood, so loud isn't exactly a good thing. What I came up with tonight (I haven't really thought this through too much, so don't be too harsh ) is: exhaust cut-out before the stock muffler, with headers and high-flow (or even removed) cat coming later. In theory, it'd be fairly quiet for daily driving, and I could open it up whenever I'm looking for the extra power.

5a) If I do go this way, what would the difference be between stock and headers/high-flow cat/cut-out closed as far as noise and power? I imagine there'd be an increase in both, but hopefully the noise increase would be minimal (I can hope, can't I?).

5b) Do the JBA headers bolt on directly to the stock downpipe? To my untrained and unexperienced eye, it looks like they do, but the answer to this question could change a lot of things later on. Whatever I end up doing with my exhaust, it won't be any time soon (income tax return will get things rolling), and my plans will end up changing at least half a dozen times.

I think there was one or two more questions I came up with, but I can't remember what they were... Thanks in advance for your answers and constructive criticism

Old 11-29-2005, 07:16 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
1. You have manifolds or headers, but not both. Headers are better flowing parts that replace the stock manifolds. The rest sounds about right.

2. A resonator will look a lot like a regular muffler, and is usually placed right after the Y pipe. If you dont see something like that, you dont have one. A resonator does not muffle, rather it allows certain frequencies to pass through, giving a slightly better sound or reducing in-cab resonation. Stock resonators usually flow very poorly.

3. Precats are usually mounted as close to the manifolds as possible, sometimes in the manifolds themselves, The main cat will be at the junction of the Y pipe.

4. Your guess is as good as mine Im not too certain about the later model V6 Rangers.

5. An improperly designed cutout will actually hurt flow when it is closed. IMO, a Magnaflow resonator and muffler will flow very well and keep the noise down at the same time. You can make good power and still not annoy the neighbors.

5a. 7-15 HP at the wheels would be a good bet on power increases, with almost the same in torque with the above system using good muflers. Definately enough to make a difference in how the truck performs. Expect a nice increase in fuel mileage also. Dont expect any more with good mufflers and cutouts. IMO, ditch the cutouts and build a system you can enjoy all the time, without having to uncork the cutouts.

5b. If they are meant to be stock replacements, they should fit fine.

HTH.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:30 PM
mightypan42
Senior User
Thanks for straightening me out on my manifolds/headers mistake Ken.

Anybody else have a couple pennies to throw in on this subject?

Old 12-02-2005, 10:16 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can go with a true dual exhaust, or a modified version of your original. True duals will keep both pipes separate from the engine all the way out.
I recommend, with your 3.0 engine, that you find a 'cat-back' exhaust system. Magnaflow and Flowmaster come to mind as suppliers of these kits. They keep pretty current on newer models.
http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04trucks.asp
This is a Magnaflow link to the sound files. You can hear your truck by clicking the appropriate link (98-05 Ranger 3.0/4.0)
Kit is between $560-$700 depending on whether dual or not. Sounds great! Not too loud, either. Kits for Flowmaster seem to be limited for trucks, unless you want a muffler. (I just had a look)
Mark