Sponsored by:

shorty question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:58 PM
turbo69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shorty question

I got a cracked exhaust mani, too, but mine is the drivers side. A guy I know has got a set of shorties from an 88-89 5.0 Mustang. Will these fit my 90 Eddie Bauer? I think they are Bassanis, but I don't remember for sure...

When I put the headers on and get the engine back in, I would like to go to a true dual setup. I'd like to put on dual high flow cats and an H-pipe. But, I have got an o2 sensor pre-cat in a small h-pipe on the passenger side. can this o2 sensor be relocated to the new pre cat h-pipe, or should I stick with the stock y-pipe/cat setup and go from there (with the shorties of course)?

Also, is there an advantage to duals after a single cat? I would think yes, but don't know for sure. If I stay with the stock cat setup, I may just do a 3 inch single, but I sure do like the look of duals.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:14 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are going with Bassani's shorties, might as well finish it off with the rest of the system they make for your truck. Its a 3" high-flow single that simply swaps in place of the stock system. No drilling, cutting, or fabricating required.

True duals won't gain anything over a well tuned 3' single anyway. Running true duals around the T-case on the driver's side can be a PITA too. No one makes this setup...it will have to be fabricated.

The Bassani setup is being run by more than one of the folks here on this forum and I think its safe to say we think very highly of it. I know I do. Even the O2 sensor and air injection locations are right where they need to be. Keep in mind too, that Bassani engineered this system to work with the 5.0 and the 5.8. Anything else will be a mix and match of "close enough" components. 3" single with a 4" tip in the stock location looks pretty good too considering its ALL stainless. No worries about this system rusting out in two years.

A word of caution too, I was behind someone the other day and couldn't believe my eyes. DON'T, under ANY circumstances, run Bronco exhaust out the rear of the truck. Dual or single, exhaust MUST side exit.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo-The headers will bolt to your engine-BUT will not line up with stock y pipe.They are very retrictive as they are welded on inside of each port flange giving more room for 8 bolts that bolt header to head , ever install headers-the bolts are a real pain to get to much less tighten- Ford headers are assembly line simple.Bassani-million mile warranty are the best if you got the $$$$. Running exhaust straight out the back is common in my area on Broncos--- A good sealing rear window and not letting it down when you are moving is required as fumes(that will put you to sleep,and kill you)are drawn into vehicle.No laws in Va. prevent us from running this out the back- don,t know about other states!!!

Old 01-23-2005, 11:53 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Trublu,

I meant that exhaust out the back is dangerous to say the least for the fume situation...consider for just a minute that the rear window isn't the only location fumes can enter the cabin through the rear. The tailgate has drain holes that are even closer to the source of the exhaust. And I have yet to see an airtight tailgate on ANY Bronco especially between the inner and outer skin which is where the fumes will draw through. No we have no laws making it an illegal practice here either...still doesn't make it a good idea.

Don't know about the Bassani Mustang headers but the ones made for the F-series and Bronco are not at all difficult to install and they WILL bolt right up to the factory Y-pipe. I HAVE this setup and I've installed it TWICE on different trucks.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grey , Turbo was asking about 88-89 MUSTANG headers wasn' t he- BUT I mis read them as Factory as they are what I described SORRYAlso they ( Mustang )will not fit factory Bronco Ys.Have found 77 and down Broncos as a no no rear exit exhaust- even with new window seals. I was agreeing with you on the fumes But there are a lot of 78s and up with rear exit exhaust out there.I have run quite afew whether you or I like it or not-- But at my Exhaust shop( in house at my Ford dealership) the cust. with the money in his hand is always right- even after I have explaned it is dangerous!!!! Have even had probs. with fumes on old Camaros and Mustangs with strat. out back tps!!

Old 01-25-2005, 01:31 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Trublu,

No harm, no foul. Seems we we're argueing the same point from different angles. And yes, I re-read the post it was the Mustang headers...my mistake.