1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New to the forums...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 12:31 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is always one!

Old 11-19-2005, 02:37 AM
mtskibum16
New User
6.0 Power Stroke Diesel - 2003 through 2006 F-250's, F-350's through at least F-550. Very fast and enough torque to pull a freight train. For less than $500.00, an aftermarket chip will make it even hotter. You could check out the 6.0 liter diesel forum for more information on the enigne. I have one in my 03 F-250 and I love it.

At 42, I'm doing my first serious rebuild of a truck and I'm starting with a basketcase. Truck was too rough to spend the money on PSD (Power Stroke Diesel) for this build. I have a 49 F2 that is in too good of shape to do anything but go back with a flathead, so the diesel idea will have to wait until truck #3. By the time I get to it, the price on those things will have come down to an afforadble level and everyting should work out just fine - I hope.

I was kinda kidding when I suggested it to you but if you are open to other ideas and want to be different, it would be an attention getter and it would be fast. Others have done diesels, I just don't know of anyone who's done one with this diesel. It would require substantial suspension mods to make it work safely.

In 03, the Engine was rated at 325HP at 3300 rpm and 560 lb-ft of Torque at 2000 RPM - bone stock. The chips will add significantly to these numbers without turning a wrench. And oh-yea, it will get about 20MPG on the highway - if of course, one is able to keep their foot out of the pedal. Maybe more since it would be a much lighter truck.

If you go with the 6.0 PSD, ***** will be your friend again and let you talk about it all you want on here.

And it would make a one heck of a senior design project. Much better than a Mini Baja or Mini Formula Car
Oh ok. I didn't know what PSD was. I guess I'm not up on the lingo. My aunt has a 2004 F-450 tow truck with the 6.0. They do have crazy torque and I have considered going with a diesel before but it wasn't really whatI was after. I want to keep it as light as possible anf that is one big A** engine! lol The black56 with the Lightning motor looks great. Wouldn't be my first choice for wheels but they look good with the setup. MAN! I have considered doing the frame red if I did a dark grey but it looks like there will be plenty of others with colored frames too. So is that a complete aftermarket frame or custom built? It looks great. I wonder if there is any way to do a plexiglass floor in the bed. It would scrarch really easy but if it was just a show truck than that would be really cool! That way you could still see the beautiful frame back there. Where can I go (online) to look at some complete frame/suspension packages?

Old 11-19-2005, 05:44 PM
mtskibum16
New User
Is anyone here using the Dakota front IFS? I was looking into it last night and it seems like a good setup but there doesn't seem to be tons of info on it here. Anyone? What is the best IFS in your opinion?

Old 11-19-2005, 06:09 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I talked to a local guy this past summer who had the Dakota suspension underneath his 48. He said he liked it a lot and it drove like a new truck. He recommended it to me. I can't remember for sure or not, but I believe one or two guys here have done this swap.

hotrod48

Old 11-19-2005, 06:26 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mtskibum16
Where can I go (online) to look at some complete frame/suspension packages?
Since I am rapidly aproaching the point where I need to make a decision on this, I am very interested in information on this subject as well. The tech article gives a great overview of what is available and what others have done. I would be interested in knowing "exactly" what is involved with each option, photos of installs, etc. and where to go for kits and if kits are truly necessary. I supect tht they are not since someone had to do each of the the first time without a kit.

Do these kits come with installation instructions (I'm assuming they must) and if they do, are they copyrighted, and can they be shared for informational purposes.

Please help us darksiders.

Last edited by texan2004; 11-19-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:23 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt,

Welcome to FTE, you've got lot's of company with non-ford drivetrain so don't let anone push you around.

Bruce
1955 F100
to be Mopar powered!

Old 11-22-2005, 12:32 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by brucewolff
Matt,

Welcome to FTE, you've got lot's of company with non-ford drivetrain so don't let anone push you around.

Bruce
1955 F100
to be Mopar powered!
I've only seen a handful of Mopar powered effies. Somehow, I find this easier to accept than a Chevy, however.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:17 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Texan,

"Since I am rapidly aproaching the point where I need to make a decision on this, I am very interested in information on this subject as well. The tech article gives a great overview of what is available and what others have done. I would be interested in knowing "exactly" what is involved with each option, photos of installs, etc. and where to go for kits and if kits are truly necessary. I supect tht they are not since someone had to do each of the the first time without a kit.

Do these kits come with installation instructions (I'm assuming they must) and if they do, are they copyrighted, and can they be shared for informational purposes."

The MIIs of course are kits, the "Cordoba" alternative is a kit plus donor parts (very minor drilling involved) (do a search on a user named "blueovalrage" for pics of his install), The "volare" is not a kit though No Limit's video is invaluable as far as understanding what needs to be done and getting you through it. For the "Vette", there are kits or do it yourself. Aerostar is do it yourself. Pacer, Jag, Corvair (don't go there) are do it yourself. Grafting clips are do it yourself and not for the faint of heart.

Best thing is to check the orignal "pros and cons" threads in this forum first for more details. Some of the alternatives had lengthy discussions. (The tech articles were only summaries of the specific threads.) The original threads will also identify who is using what. Some folks were/are quite willing to discuss their choice in detail.

This feels like Deja Vu. I think we went through this a week ago....must have been for someone else......