General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I have a computer/internet tech question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 01:41 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a computer/internet tech question

I have contacted my computer supplier, they couldn't help. I contacted my internet provider (netscape) they wanted $10 to tell me, that just didn't sound right but then what do I know? Not to mention, the support persons accent was pretty thick and I had trouble understanding the lady, at the end of the call I asked if she would tell me where they were located, she said india, that explains that huh? I am sure she had trouble with my country/hillbilly accent as well, haha.

The problem is for the past couple weeks when I log onto the internet, click on the address arrow to bring up my history of recently visited sites, they will be deleted or gone. I have the internet options set up to hold my history for 7 days so I am lost. Sometimes I may have 4-5 sites that I visited that day listed, after I go back and type them in individually, then go back to say the first one a few hours later, and they all will be gone or deleted again. Would this be a virus or another problem? Any input appreciated

Old 07-15-2004, 01:49 PM
iskybantilus
Elder User
holding your history is different then your recent activity bar i believe. try going to tools, internet options, content, then click the autocomplete button. then click the box for web addresses. i believe this is what you are refering too. if not let us know if that helps. ( i am using 6.0.2800. .....) if yours is different, the path to the setting may be slightly different.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:41 PM
kermit
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like it is set to automatically delete content when explorer is closed, but i might be off, i had a computer running win 98 that did the same thing. i just tweeked the internet options and never had the problem again. i dont think you have a virus though.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:30 PM
fn250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depending on the browser you are using, your browser may be clearing your history folder. even though your history is set to clear every 7 days, your browser may have settings that override IE's settings.

I use Maxthon as my browser, and Maxthon allows me to clear my cookies, forms, history, temp internet files, and so on, when the browser closes, and it overrides IE's settings.

Tell us what browser, OS, and a little more info if you can, and we'll try to help you out.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Get Firefox. I just checked my history and it is all there.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:26 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
fn250

I am using microsoft internet explorer.

kermit

The odd thing is, I have had this internet provider for 6 months now I believe, previously aol and I had no problems and I haven't altered any settings. So I am not sure why it is doing it. Its not even consistent, I may go 1 day or maybe 2-3 days and all will be fine, then all of a sudden they disappear from one hour to the next.

iskybantilus

I tried what you recommended, all I could do is delete all previous addresses or check what I wanted the computer to remember for future reference.

MikeW

What is firefox? Internet provider or some form of virus protection?

Thanks fellas

Old 07-15-2004, 06:33 PM
fn250
Elder User
you're index.dat file may be corrupted, try this:

Logoff of your current account
Logon with an Administrator account

Find the C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\History Folder
C:\ being your system root
UserName being the user account you were previously logged on with (the one have problems)

Find the History Folder delete the IE folder inside

close windows and reboot

Next time you login with that UserName and launch IE it will recreate the index.dat file, and the directory that was deleted.

Good Luck

Old 07-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
It could be that the history is set not to show but to autocomplete, just a wild guess tho since I haven't used IE for a couple of years.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:32 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Firefox is a browser that so far is working great.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Old 07-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Sidelt
Junior User
Ok, remember guys, the easiest answer is almost alwys the correct one. Rather than changing browsers, managing accounts, and resetting setting that he says he never switched to begin with, see what else it could be.

A browser window will only remember the adresses that are typed intot he adress bar and opened. If you have a second browser window open, the first window will not know what the second one had done. If you have three or four windows open, only the information processed in each window will be saved (locally).

Perhaps while you are browsing, you click on a link and it opens in a new window. Then you want to look somewhere else, so in the new window, you type in an address. If this is the second, third, or whatever number of the browser window you open, that website you types in will only be remembered in that same location.

I am guessing, just as everyone else, but i would bet that if you open a few more windows and check the pull down adress bar, you will find your missing adresses.

If not, the other ideas are good to check, but I wouldn't change browsers just because of a small glitch. You wouldn't go buy a Chevy because your Ford had a bad tire, right?

Old 07-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I wouldn't call the problems with IE just a bad tire... -A blown engine, leaking transmission, rollover damage, 75 mph frontal collision damage, pluss 20 years of KC road salt maybe.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:17 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Side Lt

If I am browseing and another window pops up, I usually click out of it, before going any further.

Torque1st

Well that may be the case but I don't understand why after almost a year of no problems, since the new computer purchase and having changed nothing as far as settings go. I don't know why all of a sudden it just started acting up.

fn250

Not sure what your asking me to do. I will attempt it as a last resort.

After the mention of going to the internet tools and seeing what the setting were for the web browser, I deleted all history, so far the addresses I punched in last night are still there.

Here is a thought, lets say I would go to retreive past addresses that I've viewed, if they were gone, once I began to punch in the address it would show up under the address bar as a possible match, the computer remembers them but they are deleted from the immediate list. Did that make any sense?

Old 07-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Sidelt
Junior User
I wasn't speaking of pop up windows. I was speaking of when you click on a link. Most of the time when you click a link, it opens a new window because the builder of the site you are currently on, doesn't want you to leave.

Like I said, this is brainstorming. some will be way off and some wil be real close.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:38 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,538 Likes on 1,436 Posts
In the last 2 weeks I received 2 or 3 Microsoft Updates and these were security updates for IE. If you have installed these updates it may have changed some settings.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:25 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Sidelt

We are on the same page, I wasn't talking about pop up windows either. If I am inside an address and there is a link or I decide to go to another address, I usually go back to the main page, just because. It doesn't really matter the addresses are ones I frequent daily, so they should still be there IMO. I dunno.

5_labsownus

I recently received an update as well and ignored it but went ahead and updated today, maybe that has something to do with it.

So far so good, the addresses that I put in last night are still there. I ran a virus search using mcaffee, it went up to 10,000 files searched (who would have thought there were that many) and I lost interest and ended the search, nothing up to that point was found, I will do it again later when I have more time.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: I have a computer/internet tech question