Are heads Right and Left Specific?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 11:30 PM
OldSchoolRodz
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Are heads Right and Left Specific?

First Question: Trying to locate a big valve head to complete a pair. One of the heads I got in a pair is shot. Are they right and left side specific?

Second Question: I heard they were different and the drivers side head had a threaded hole for the oil pressure sending unit?

Third Question: I checked my heads. The only threaded hole that is asymmetrical (which there is only one of), is at one end of the exhaust side of the head, on a flat casting bump out adjacent to the bottom surface.

It's about a 3/8" threaded hole that is perpendicular to the length of the head and penetrates what I suppose could be an oil journal that intersects thru the head from top to bottom. However there are one of these holes on each of my heads.

What do you think is this hole I'm trying to describe the hole for the Oil Pressure Sensor? If not can anyone post a Pic. or direct me to the hole for the oil pressure sender?

Thx for any clarification you can offer.

Keep on Truckin, David

Last edited by OldSchoolRodz; 08-27-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:50 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For practical purposes, I'd have to say that yes, they are side specific. The actual fact is that they're not side specific from the foundry. Once they're put into service, parts (sensors) are installed in the water ports that are specific to a side, and the opposite side with no sensor in the water port get corroded by the hot water and becomes unusable for that sensor.

A competent machine shop should be able to fix a corroded water port, but if you have a choice, try to get the other side head. What heads do you have? ECZ-G? 113?

I have a set of ECZ-G heads and one of them is cracked in its exhaust seat.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:03 PM
OldSchoolRodz
Senior User
Wow!

Holly mysterious sensor Batman, I'm never surprised at how little I know.

So PC (that stands for Politically Correct right?) How can I figure out which of my heads are left and right.

I tried to articulate the struggle I've had with identification in my Thread. Can you educate me any further?

I've got 113's, I found a single if I can determine how to differentiate them.

Thx. David

Last edited by OldSchoolRodz; 08-28-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:13 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
On one head I find a threaded fitting on the left side and an open water port on the right. On the other head I find a plug blocking off the water port on the right side and the left water port is open. The water ports do show some corrosion on their insides but these heads I looked at (ECZ-C) but they look like you could probably swap them if you really had to.

Short answer; check the condition of the water port. If it's not badly corroded, then you could use the head on either side. Is that clear?

BTW, that has to be a water temperature fitting; it's in the water port.

PC is Paul Christopher, but it could have meant Personal Computer. I used to be really good with PC's.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:24 PM
MARC
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
which head do you have?
Marc

Old 08-28-2005, 11:33 PM
OldSchoolRodz
Senior User
Question Confounded Still

P.C. "On one head I find a threaded fitting on the left side and an open water port on the right. On the other head I find a plug blocking off the water port on the right side and the left water port is open. The water ports do show some corrosion on their insides but these heads I looked at (ECZ-C) but they look like you could probably swap them if you really had to."

O.K. I had my heads on the bench trying to follow your lead, but I gotta admit, I'm not that familiar with heads so I'm flying blind.

Here goes: Heads block surface down, intake surface facing me, there are water ports at both ends of the intake mating surface. One water port is plugged on opposite ends on each head. None of the two open ports are threaded, so I feel sure I'm not even looking at the right feature?

Now I still don't know how to tell the right from the left?

Sorry to be so unfamiliar, could you pic. me?

Thx. David

Last edited by OldSchoolRodz; 08-28-2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Burt280
Junior User
Head Shot

Check the picts in my gallery...down near the bottom are some pictures of the engine that might help you. The one called rockers shows a shot of the heads with the passenger side near and the driver side far. Just above and to the right of the distributor is the heat sensor on the rear of the head next to the intake ports. On the other end of the head is a hole that mates with the intake to flow coolant through to the rear hole in the right (passenger side) head. The hole in the front of the passenger side is plugged with a short bolt. Hope this helps... BTW the heads can be swapped but you have to have a machine shop modify the sensor hole with an insert.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:56 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Looking at the intake side, I have a threaded bung in one of my heads. The other head has a cup plug in the other end. Sounds like the boss on the exhaust side of one of your heads is drilled for a sensor. It's the intake side of the heads that might give you trouble. The water hole can get corroded to the point where it's hard to put a cup plug in it.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Burt280
Junior User
plug

Where the cup plug you are describing is I have a short bolt in a threaded hole. Probably because in the past it was corroded and would not hold the plug..that was probably a fix for it.

Old 09-10-2005, 12:49 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
head swapping

OK, I'm quoting this from the repair manual. All Y-blocks are bassically the same, and this info should pertain to you. " The left and right hand cylinder heads are interchangable provided a water outlet plug and engine temperature gauge unit insert are removed from one and a new plug or insert is installed in the other end. Cylinder heads serviced in the field will not have water outlet plug or insert installed so they can be used for either right or left hand installations."
This was quoted form a service manual, and the old books are the all knowing readers digests for the Ford truck parts and repairs (lol).