straight six

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
The 200 and possibly 250 were used in the early econoline vans/pickups. It was pretty rare to find one of those with a V8 under the center console.........
I think you could get the 240 sometime in the middle 60s in the Econoline. Buddy years back swapped a 289 (from a 170), he had to stick the cherry picker through the interior to pull it !

Old 05-01-2010, 03:11 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sounds like the 170 wuz in the econoline n instead of jackin it up, pullin it out underneath, he used some kinda crane thru the door? Wow, my long wheel base chebbie van went from blown 6 to hopped up 350 n dat wuz behind the frnt axle too. Pulled the trani w/it, went below, NOT thru.

I'm surprised bout this 170. It is strong (even compaired to the 2 slant 6 170s I had). I have not had it apart but some nat experts claim being '68 it has the extra main bearings of the last 3 or 4 yrs. of manafacture (7 not 5). Also I could swap out the feed back carb and go breaker-less ign as well. Always the $ issue 4 me (27 yrs of ownership)...

Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM
demonic_assassin_91
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pickup with the 300 I6 and must agree with the majority that the engine is both one of the most durable and can be made into a powerhouse when properly modified, I have another ford with a 302 EFI and it comes nowhere close to my 300 I6 in any area. My truck has had issues in the past with electrical where the starter would lock up and stay turning (solenoid malfunction) and even through that the engine did not require any repairs nor was anything damaged. ive had it over ice, in the mud, over the rocks, towing large loads and all sorts of other things and it continues to run like it did when i first had it running good (say that cause i bought it in poor condition). Of coarse some of it leads back to the fact that 1, the engine was modified during a recent overhaul 2, it only has near 70k miles on it 12k being my doing, and 3, this truck was one of the few in great condition without any modification other than the engine (truck body was aligned and everything which I havent seen much for this type of truck, even my 302 is of axis.) so again my opinion is the 300 I6 is ONE of the best engines ever built.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
d_a_91
Welcome to the forum/site. There's a a more appropriate forum for you (lots of action to) lets see..."200,250I6 and 4.9/300" I think it's called. Look @ the forum list on home page. Lots of greaT HELPFUL GUYS THWERE (o0OPPs).

(Day Later)
What was I thinkin? On 6 sites, 10 forums - a little confused chad?
Yes apparently so...

Last edited by chrlsful; 08-03-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: head's spinnin
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Keith A.
New User
Hi new to this. Would you guys know approximate hp on a 300 six with a mid-range cam, 500 holly 2 barrel, clifford intake and clifford headers.The truck is a 66. Head is from a newer early 90's. Head had valves touched up and was resurfaced. Thanks Keith

Old 08-08-2010, 12:42 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Would you guys know

Welcome and enjoy your stay! Lots of knowledgeable AND helpful people. Saved me mucho $ AND X.
Have U tried the search function? It's @ the top of the page you're viewing, in the blue horizontal stripe, just below all the adds.
I got the below vehicle & No that better. Some 1 will B along soon w/answer. (I'd say 120 hp, wild guess. But it depends on @ what rpm. All a moot point cuz these rigs were built for tq, and man do they have it. Like a frigin diesel!)

Old 08-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
deleted by its author.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 PM
young rodder
New User
my 240 straight six can yank out trees without breaking a sweat but with the stock intake and carb can't go more than 50 mph and thats with not hauling anything.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:45 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
stock intake and carb
Sure it's not the drive line ratio? Could B low (ie big tires, 4.11 or hi 3s in rear, NP435 tranny, it's not full X 4 wd is it? No wouldn't).
What yr n model?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Sounds like you're geared really, really low, like Chad says. I bet someone put a 4.10 gear in place of your 2.73.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
"In place of ur..."
That's a good un Mr Bil. I can't BELIEVE how low u guys go on ur gears (2.75, that's like... the ratio 4 my transfer case, not rear end, gotta love the 300!).

Went down to Springfield, 45 min ride (the big city) for a job interview today. 1st 1 in 7 yrs (job lost a yr ago this May - I had 5 yrs there). Just so happens trucking co bringing my motor from TN in which the 'broker' chose (Estes) has a depot there. I stopped by on the way home, had called to be sure they didn't deliver, (cuz I was @ da interview) as rescheduled, after the reschedule, due to no p/u on Wends @ the TN buddy's place...Anyway, had the address from that call, it wuz on my way... I C what's up...
@ the wearhouse wuz da big trucks - didn't look like a people place, just transfers. Still I found an office (after 2 missteps). They found the BOL, after a few missteps, said "no more charges", I stupidly said "OK" when he said "you want it?" "Good we can't go to Amherst my lill' town) just for that 1." I went down the dock, signed for it as it hung on the forks n they tried to stuff it in my lill' focus wagon! Wouldn't go. I had just measured it, 4" too tall! They ran in and got a sawsall - cut 4" off the top of the bud's beautiful shippin job's top 4 2x4s. Crammed it in n I took off. Hey, tires weren't flat, nothing scrapin...I thought this dog had no power B 4, man it was weezin now! Get up here, back it onto the cement so the tiny tinny wheels of the walk B hind ele. forks could drag it out n went home for the bronk. Came back. Threw it on there and just finished (looks like the 1st stage) of a degreasin proceedure. Need to find a real mo chine to do it right. May B we got STEAM round here somewhere?

Wow, long story to get to the punch (no, not my bud & not in the face) line. I saw the block casting numbers. Looks like a < 1975 250 I6 > alright. "D5XX". Isn't D for the 70s? I got a C, I think on my '68 (C8XX). How duz DAT make sense 2 ya?? It does have the 5 freeze plugs so it looks like a 250 like U said... gotta ck the H2o bolts find a bell w/a starter (U don't have a coupla spares around do U?) take a few measurements to confirm the 250 vs 200. It's not a '69 way I figure it. The mysteries go on...

Well, wish me luck on the 3rd of 3 (yeah had me back 3 X, a good sign) interviews.
TTYS
Type to you soon
cf

Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
careful what U wish 4

Originally Posted by chrlsful
Well, wish me luck on the 3rd of 3 (yeah had me back 3 X, a good sign) interviews.
TTYS
Type to you soon
cf
After 1 mo of interviews, dinner engagements and "visit us for a few hrs" - da odder guy got it. At least I was a finalist as one of two...Now I got the 260 I6 whadda i gunna do w/ something needs $1,000 prts to rebuild? Hang on to it till.... yepers.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
I feel your pain, brother. I have been considering scrapping mine out....but I just HATE too

Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
thefordlane
Senior User
Is it the best engin ever? id say its as close as your gonna get to it. The 300 in my 78 has been ran out of water twice. Both time it was from a radiator hose that busted. It was my falt though it had sat for 5 years and the hoses rotted away and blew apart. Still runs like a champ for bein 32 years old. But it is probally one of the most tempermental engins to start when its cold out(below 20 f) that iv ever had, but then again no one like to run when its that cold out. haha

Another great thing bout this engin is that it was probally one of the only engins used in pickups and in agriculture equipment. We had 2 hay swathers that have had the ol' sixes in them(the new one now has a cummins).

It is great that this engin has dominated in both the veichal market and the ag market. Now thats quality!

Thanks for readin,

Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Darrel, Lane:
It (the 170) will not B scrapped. I'll swap some prts onto the 4.1, use it as a sculpture in my livin room, have it as a brick-a-brack in the bed rm (no wifie HERE [anymore]).

And yes, NO Thing wants 2 get outta bed in a ND winter! May B a carb rebuild? After 27 yrs Iwuz havin ~ 10 yrs of trouble. After rebuild...new vehicle! Totally different. Now the H2O in the radiator...glad I got the 250 'core'. Wish I had some $. But U no what U can do w/a wish ("chit in 1 hand, wish in da odder...").

Thanks 4 the support.

Quick Reply: straight six