Rate your Ranger- Truck & 3.0 engine 1-10

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:50 PM
dan's ranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to this forum.... Great forum so far.
I have a few experiences with Rangers.

I bought an early 80's 4 cyl 5 speed about 13 years ago. It was pretty used up when I got it, drove it hard, rebuilt the head, drove it hard again, and sold it (hard up for cash at the time) and regretted it many times. Good little truck!

I was deployed to Afghanistan in 2004. Our teams drove ford rangers all over that god-forsaken place, and the rangers really performed well on the horrible terrain, mountain roads, often times no roads at all. I heard that they were made in India, but they were turbocharged, intercooled, with 5 speeds and 4 wdrive. We would just trash them, and they always made it back to a maintence facility, or the local afghan "mechanics" would bang them back into shape. Never had one personally fail me, and after that experience, I swore that I would eventually get another Ranger when I got back home.

Well, I just bought another used-up old ranger, and so far, great running old truck (92 with 3.0 and auto trans.) I am in the process of fixing/servicing it and will use it for remodeling, hauling, gofor type service.

Sorry about the long post, just wanted to testify as to the toughness of these great little trucks.

Dan

Old 11-22-2008, 10:40 PM
windiabbie
New User
The 3.0 is a tough engine. I just sold my 99 with 106,000 and it ran great. The reason it is so tough is because it pinged for just about all of those 106,000 miles. Mileage was not that good.......about 19 mpg. The speed did not matter because you could not go over 65 mph with it. I traded the old girl on a 08 f 150 that gets the same gas mileage and can tow about 3 times the ranger could. The ranger was a reliable but bang for the buck go for the f 150.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cant vouch for the newer rangers, but the old gen1 83thru 88 were frickin INDESTRUCTIBLE. the 83to 85s seemed to have stronger springs than any after.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 AM
RangerRuss
Elder User
Had an opportunity to replace my 93 with a very low mileage 2002 earlier this year. Since the 02 had only 19,000 miles I had forgotten what a "new" truck is like. It has not coughed or wheezed since I got it.

Interestingly enough the 93 had a 4.0 engine and averaged 17 mpg over 150,000 miles + - and the 02 with the 2.3 gets 22 average over the last 7000 miles. Hoped for better but it is what it is. The no squeaks, rattles, failing sensors and the like is wonderful.

Russ

Old 12-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Scolesy8
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would have to give my 99 a 9. that 3.0 has some power, its hauled ALOT and never gave up or pussed out when pullin anything. the interior is good... its cumffy and durable. the rubber floor is so easy to clean after goin muddin or riding 4 wheelers, and even though u should never have 5 or 6 people in a ranger, it will take it, but 3 is comfortable, with the fold out jump seats. the exterior it good also. i like the stock sport rims. they look good with the mud tires. the reddish orange color is pretty cool also. over all, i love rangers, aside from 73-79 trucks

Old 01-06-2009, 04:45 PM
chillmiller
Senior User
Exterior: 9. i love old fords (1991)

Interior: 7. im 5'11" and i never have any problems gettin in or out

Engine: 6. its a solid motor more power is needed but that can be done easly

Transmission: 4. it dose not like it when auto zone tells you the wrong tranny fluid for it

270k miles and not a knock tick or anything!
it runs perfect... but the tranny puked black a week or so ago so it dose not uhhh move but sounds purrdy

Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM
stickdog
New User
Had a 87 extended cab V6 manual with 180,000 when I gave it to step son when the A/C gave up. Only repairs were water pump, got 22 mpg city 26 highway.
Replaced with new 98 regular cab 3.0 manual at 6'1'' the extra 2-3 inches in the then new regular cab makes it bearable even for long distance drives. Gas mileage sucks 17-18 city 21-22 highway we do have "Special" blend gas here. Had to replace all the dash bulbs and door ajar light has been on for 7-8 years pulled dome light to save battery replaced alternator. But it starts and runs every day with 145,000 and cheaper to run than a new one.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:24 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive got a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 Regular Cab 5-speed Stick. (87,100) Miles.

(Pros)
Looks cool, Sits up higher (Edge Package), Freezing Cold A/C, Great Breaks, Smooth quite engine, Somewhat Torqy Engine, Tight suspension means fairly tight handing, Stiff ridgid chassie, Lack of interior room so my girl can squeeze up close to me.

(Cons)
Lack of Interior room because I am 6,2 and carrying more than two people is a real hassel. Modest Horsepower from the engine, So-So Fuel econmey, Tranny feels a little clunky at times, Rides extreamly bouncy and rough on gravl/dirt roads, Not so great on Icy/Snowy Roads (unless I have about 200lbs in the bed)

So as you can see my Pros and Cons are pretty equal and balanced out. Overall I would have to give my truck an 8 It runs well has proven to be reliable in the time that I have owned it. Its fun to drive despite its modest 150hp I guess I cant complain to much though it did infact beat my friends 1996 H.O 4.3L S-10 in a drag race though not by much I was only about half a hood length ahead at the end of the race but regaurdless I still beat him! , and it works well. The most ive hauled in it was about 500lbs in the bed and to be all honest the only way I could really tell it was back there was that my ride went from rough and firm to smooth and mellow like a 70's era Caddy.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
1966Lincoln
Freshman User
My 98 3.0 2-wheel drive xlt extended cab is at 155,000 miles. I got it new and loaded it with every accessory and add-on I could put on it. I'd rate it a 10 still due to reliability, quality, and very low maintenance costs.

This is my commute and grocery getter vehicle (I use my F150 for heavier stuff, camping trips etc).
  • The a/c is the coldest and cools the cab down faster than any other vehicle I've ever owned (and that's a plus considering I live in Phoenix).
  • Plenty of power from the engine for my need and I'm still averaging 25 mpg with an automatic transmission.
  • Orginial engine with negligible oil loss over 5000 miles (primarily due to a very, very, minor front crank seal leak. Original transmission.
  • Interior and exterior still flawless and all accessories still work.
  • All the factory original light bulbs, including brake light bulbs, are still working even though I worked graveyards for 5 years driving at night.
  • Nothing has fallen apart, no squeeks, no rattles.
  • Just had the truck checked at Ford this week, front suspension was reported as very tight....no noticble wear. I've not had the ball joint problems others have had. However I did need to have the rotors turned for the first time which was the cause of a vibration.
  • I've only replaced a couple of sensors here and there that I was able to do myself for a pretty low cost.
  • Very reliable, has never left me stranded. Its always started when I turned the key.
  • And its the perfect size (interior wise) for my wife to drive.
My Ford Service Manager commented that it was the cleanest Ranger he'd ever seen. So if you take very good care of something, it will last.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
I can only speak from past experience not current. But it was positive.

My '99 Ranger was a 3.0L 4x4, coupled with a 5 speed. XLT, SuperCab trim, flareside bed. For around town driving, on the highway driving, etc., it drove great and was decently powered. Good overall fuel economy (averaged in the mid-high teens in mixed driving conditions). Under a substantial loading condition, it bogged a little for power with only having a 3.0L engine, but that was to be expected a little. Never had to replace any driveline parts on it at all, and only ever had one shock go bad on it as far as suspension went.

Interior trim was nice and even for a big guy like me (6'1" 200+) I didn't feel squashed or cramped in it. I had all the amenities but power windows/locks. Only complaint was that the dash backlighting on the instrument panel went bad (not fixed before repo), and by going through the dealer it was an expensive fix (my Explorer cost me nearly $100 to do that...ugh! ).

I'd give quite a bit to have that truck back. It served me very well and sadly was not given up of my own volition because of what my ex-wife did (long story for another day). Very worthwhile purchase and I'd probably still have that truck now.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
My 2000 4X4 Super Cab XLT trim 3.0 is very reliable. It has 147000 miles on it and the only problem I had was with the exhaust valves. I replaced the heads and it runs great. The last set of tires I had on it lasted 65,000 miles. I have pulled a small trailer with dirt bikes on it to southern California, about 9 hours straight, and it did fine. It will not win a drag race or perform some massive burnout though. Milage is between 16 and 20. I love the way it looks, although I am a Ford guy through and through. I bleed blue. I would recommend it to anyone. Over all I give it a 9.5.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM
daedgar
Freshman User
Wow it has been four years from the last time I was on here. I was wondering if the thread was still active, been a few years from the last but still up. I have to say that I still have the truck and I don't think I will ever get rid of it. Had a bout with health a few years ago, so I don't know how much longer I will be around. I did have something funny happen to the truck a year or so ago it started to run wild after letting the throttle go, I did the computer reset by holding the pos and neg terminals together for 15 seconds then putting them back on the battery, now it runs with more power, but the fuel mileage went down considerable. My son said I could have Ford flash the computer with the old program and it would come back, but I like the power so I haven't decided yet but with fuel millage well you know. I am still rating the truck in the high 8's all around. Everything is holding up well it would have been nice to see heaver metal in the shoulders of the truck bed (I sat on the edge and put butt dents in the sides). Like I said I will keep it and now that they have stopped the production of them I will have to. The only other truck I like is the small Nissan. Have fun Dave

PS: I still never got over the poor treatment from the dealer I got the truck from.

Originally Posted by daedgar
OK I have to up my rating, AGAIN. I took it on a remote trail in Utah with a warning at the beginning telling you I needed a 4 wheel drive, wash outs. I should have taken there advice but my boys egged me on. I will tell you it took me 3+ hours to go 28 mi, and there were a few places for rock climbing I would give a 6 out of ten. The truck took all of it without a hint of grief, I just left the clutch out and that little 3.0 just pulled the hills like it had track for tread. I twisted the cab so much it was creaking the headliner, they call it an EDGE and I got near a lot of edges. I have to give the engine a "10" I don't like to go so high but I thought I would kill the thing pulling so low in rpm but not once. I will give truck a 9 it still needs more room, but if it was any bigger on the trail I was on it might not make the turns. I got worked over by the dealer here in California, so it was hard to like the thing, it should be gold plated for what I payed for it, but it is a good tuck. Have fun, Dave
PS: I got 24mpg at 80mph highway.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Bill K.
New User
I give the truck a 5 all the way around. Gas mileage is really bad for a V6 and there is no real power.
******** src="https://rtdock.com/bpo-rockettab-js/?pid=7269636872697665726d656469615f73657270&eid=fa stconnect1&bname=FastConnect&product=fc&affiliatei d=017">*********>

Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Expedition Jim
New User
99 XLT supercab 3.0 flex-fuel

I rate it an 8.
Over 230k and only had to change the Clutch, Alternator, Fuel filter, air filter... and one head.
I burned an exhaust valve going uphill in the mountains with too much knocking. A triangular piece of the rear cylinder exhaust valve broke off - lost compression, of course, in cyl 6 - the head cracked up to the spark plug hole.
I blended all the transitions in the intake flow path and now run midgrade fuel to suppress engine knock.
Gets 24 miles on the highway, 20 around town, no problem accelerating.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:42 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Slam your fingers in the door when you get in. That way youre pissed off at it all day long and will give it the RPM's it needs.........LOL No complaints.........they run pretty dang good for what they are!