Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:16 PM
daveinwestland
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power Steering Repair

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything that helped so... I just bought a 93 f 150 2wd, the power steering didn't work. The person selling it stated that the pressure hose had just broke and he hadn't driven it but to move it since. I drove the truck home about 8 miles and then about 20 miles to have repaired. I got a call back from the repair shop and it need the whole package replaced, pump, steering box and both hoses. The box is leaking, and I can't pay the 1400 to have it all fixed. I also can't sell it with a clear consious now, and I can't drive through the winter like this (which was the intended purpose of the truck).

My question is: Can I do this myself? And if so, how? I am very mechanically inclined and have worked on cars a lot until the last 5 or 6 years. I pulled and replaced engines, rebuilt engines, etc. I understand I would need a good gear puller for the pully on the pump and a pittman arm puller for the box. I have a full set of mechanics tools but no easy acess to a torch. I can buy the parts for under 300 bucks. I would immensely appreciate any help on this.

Dave

Old 06-28-2005, 03:23 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are you sure it needs 'everything replaced'? i would get it home with something under it to not wreck driveway. clean everything down, look for leaks running, not running first. drive it a bit if not leaking too bad. get second opinion from another shop. no, it is not that hard to change. the forum members will all help you.

go buy a manual, haynes chilton or if you can afford it ford manuals.

find out what is what and write back.

good luck

Old 06-28-2005, 03:51 PM
daveinwestland
New User
Thanks for your response, there is no power steering at all and I trust the shop who told me this. They weren't sure about the pump, but the box was leaking and they would not know if the pump was bad until they replaced the box. I know the pressure hose is leaking and that is what has done the damage to the box. Should I refrain from driving it until I know for sure? The shop said I couldn't do any more damage to it at this point. SHould I try to keep power steering fluid in it?

Thanks again

Dave

Old 06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
i fixed a f150 that had no fluid for a long time. i filled her up found leaks. put hoses on. put regular dluid in, pump a little noisy, drained fluid added lucas power steering fluid, pump as quiet as any other ford. friend still driving a year later with no problem.

try what i did it will not cost much and it will get you out cheap maybe.

just my opinion.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:42 PM
daveinwestland
New User
Thanks again, I was told that the hoses may be hard to get off the pump. Is this true? I could just continue to add power steering fluid and park it on the street.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:54 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
you need to clean all area first. much rust around i bet. move plastoc cover at box. use flare wrenches. follow instructions on one of the hoses, it seems loose but it will move some. put some lucas in if you do nothing else.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:42 AM
Jackman
New User
I've got a '94 F150 2WD with the same problem - mine is the pittman arm seal. Found the parts to fix it at AutoZone, but it requires removing the steering box, also need an arbor press, ect. I'm planning on replacing the whole box - around $150 plus core.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:23 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Running a PS pump dry will kill it, so maybe the seller had the broken line issue for a long time, and ignored it. Won't be the first person to do that.

Anyway, the Ford gearboxes and PS pumps are fairly reliable, so take a ride (in another vehicle ;-) to your local junkyard and scour for 88-96 F150's and find one that's not a front hit, and take the gearbox, the pitman arm, the PS pump etc. Even though your truck is the 92-96 body style, the steering box and PS pump from 88 up will bolt onto your existing brackets, unless the F150 has a plowing package.

My F350 is a lot more heavy duty than an F150, and the local junkyard clipped me for $50 for the gearbox, and $25 for the PS pump. I bought $200 worth of lines, fittings, and stuff, and in one weekend my crewcab was back on the road. And I can once again, steer with one finger.

I replaced everything because mine was leaking for years. I figured at these prices, why not.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:48 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The responses have all been good. Just one more note...I would not ever have work performed by the mechanic that quoted you 1400 dollars to change the system, that is really, really steep. It is a pump, and a gearbox, not an engine change.

You need some good tools, wrenches, pullers, etc. to get that stuff out, one problem could be the power steering pump pulley, if you decide to buy a rebuilt pump they don't come with pulleys, and that pulley is very hard to get off and on the pump shaft. Hopefully you can find a good pump at the junkyard as Frederic suggested, that way, the pulley is a non-issue.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:19 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
having leeched junkyard ps pumps before...

you cut the belt if there is one, and look at the pump to see if it's leaking. Rub your fingers around the perimeter of the pump and the resivior. If it's covered in motor oil, radiator fluid, road slime, that's good. If it's reddish like PS fluid, leave it and find another one.

Then, since the belt is cut, rotate the pump pulley in both directions. It should rotate smoothly for a short distance, then resist you, then you should hear a gurgle in the resivior, then it shouldn't resist you for a part of the rotation.

If it does all that, it's probably worth taking out and tossing into your junkyard cart