Front suspension for '35 Ford

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Draft_Horse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front suspension for '35 Ford

I'm in the process of restoring a '35 Ford 1/2 T but would like some input.
I bought this truck with the box, diff & front suspension missing. I acquired (free) an '88 Ford Ranger & was planning on using the Ranger chassi for my '35 Ford. Both chassis are the same width but 1" difference in wheel base.
What I'm wondering is, is it a good idea to put the 35 on this '88 Ranger chassis or am I better off using the original frame and mount a mustang / pinto suspension??
What do you guys think? Please don't suggest installing any chevy parts as I find that totally insulting. yuk ... hehehe

Ford Truck man forever!!!!
Hoss

Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Is the ranger an inch longer or shorter? If shorter i'd say take a look at it. Also, make make the frames where things like the cab, bed etc, sit, are in the same plane.

Always tough to swap to a different frame, if it were me, I'd be think Mustang 2 conversion and fniding a rear I'd like.

Flip side of that is the '35's frame probably needs boxnig to get it into order...either way you have a bit of work cut out for you.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Draft_Horse
Senior User
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
Is the ranger an inch longer or shorter? If shorter i'd say take a look at it. Also, make make the frames where things like the cab, bed etc, sit, are in the same plane.

Always tough to swap to a different frame, if it were me, I'd be think Mustang 2 conversion and fniding a rear I'd like.

Flip side of that is the '35's frame probably needs boxnig to get it into order...either way you have a bit of work cut out for you.
Been a few years since I measured the wheel base so, I'm not sure. Project has been on hold for years now, it's time to get at it again. I agree about the cab & bed fitting properly on the Ranger frame. I haven't checked yet but have a feeling there might be some problems.
As far as boxing the old frame, what section should be boxed.... back section where the diff & leaf springs are located? As far as mustangII, '74 to what years?
Thanks
Hoss,
Manitoba

Old 06-08-2005, 11:34 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well if using a mustang II front susp. you will need to box the front frame horns.
usually the aftermarket suspension manufacturer will provide the boxing plates or you can make your own .The rear area is also boxed for strength and a new rear crossmember is installed for newer shocks to be mounted to.

Rich

Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Draft_Horse
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FortyFords
Well if using a mustang II front susp. you will need to box the front frame horns.
usually the aftermarket suspension manufacturer will provide the boxing plates or you can make your own .The rear area is also boxed for strength and a new rear crossmember is installed for newer shocks to be mounted to.

Rich
Rich,
Do you have a link for one of these aftermarket suspension manufacturer that provides the boxing plates?
Much appreciated
Hoss

Old 07-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Jim Langan
New User
I would keep the oringinal chassis. Try Chassis engineering for upgrades. Do you have any extra parts? I am building a 36 and want to make it a 35. I will be useing the stock front sus but spliting the wishbones and droping the axel 4". May use buggy spring in rear if I can get it low enought.
Most people think 35-41 truck frames are good without boxing...Jim

Old 07-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Draft_Horse
Senior User
Thanks for the input Jim.
Unfortunately, I don't have any extra parts. I'm going to have to buy lots of it myself. I've bought many parts from Sacramento Vintage Ford many years ago for a 50 Ford 1/2T and their parts & service are top notch.... highly recommand. Of course, you pay lots for it. I think I'll keep the original frame and put a mustang II front suspension.
Is the Mustang front suspension fit nicely on the frame or is there lots of modifications to do?
Thanks
Hoss

Old 07-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Jim Langan
New User
Thanks for looking
Fat Man Mfg and Chassis Engineering seam to be the best for Mustang 11 and 35-41 chassis kits. Good luck Jim