V10 stalling - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 stalling

  #31  
Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 PM
jh818's Avatar
jh818
jh818 is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 2,803
jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
You may also check the EVAP canister vent soleniod/valve. Make sure there is no obstruction.
 
  #32  
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 PM
riverratmike's Avatar
riverratmike
riverratmike is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 168
riverratmike is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a bad vacuum hose underneith the throttle body that cause my V10 to stall but it was mostly in the morning when this happened and the engine was cold.
 
  #33  
Old 11-22-2011, 01:15 PM
windyhill's Avatar
windyhill
windyhill is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 182
windyhill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stalling and P0191 code, 2006 V10

oops double post
 
  #34  
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM
windyhill's Avatar
windyhill
windyhill is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 182
windyhill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stalling and P0191 code, 2006 V10

..........
 
  #35  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 PM
svastano
svastano is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 84
svastano is starting off with a positive reputation.
To piggyback on this post my 02 just started doing this. 2 times in a week. Once just pulling out of the garage and once coming into it? Just quits like somebody shut it down. I didn't notice any lights blinking when it happened but I will look for that. It only has 45,000 miles on it. Only thing I can say is that I just oiled it for the winter so could I have gotten oil on the rear end sensor and making it go nuts??? Any help would be appreciated!

Sam
 
  #36  
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 PM
4x4pwr's Avatar
4x4pwr
4x4pwr is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 508
4x4pwr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the exact same issue... Seems like a common enough issue on these trucks. Anyone figure out what the issue was?

I have replaced PCV, IAC, Fuel Filter, checked fuel pressure, checked all vacuum hoses, I do not have an EGR, TPS voltage with key on engine off is .99v. I am at a loss... Will only do it coming to a stop. Doesn't matter if fuel tank is full or empty, does it either way. Almost acting like a bad fuel pump, but pressure is good...

If I blip the throttle I can keep the truck from dying. After it dies I can put it in park and it fires right up.
 
  #37  
Old 05-22-2016, 02:37 PM
wikdwest's Avatar
wikdwest
wikdwest is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 143
wikdwest is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 4x4pwr View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the exact same issue... Seems like a common enough issue on these trucks. Anyone figure out what the issue was?

I have replaced PCV, IAC, Fuel Filter, checked fuel pressure, checked all vacuum hoses, I do not have an EGR, TPS voltage with key on engine off is .99v. I am at a loss... Will only do it coming to a stop. Doesn't matter if fuel tank is full or empty, does it either way. Almost acting like a bad fuel pump, but pressure is good...

If I blip the throttle I can keep the truck from dying. After it dies I can put it in park and it fires right up.
I have been having the stall issue for about a year. 2004 excursion 6.8l 225,000 miles. It is the craziest thing, driving 70 miles an hour on the highway and it just dies. It won't restart in neutral while rolling but if i pull over to the side of the road and put it in park it will start right up. The last time it happened was 5 months ago and then twice yesterday. Nothing common in the different instances and i have no way to replicate it.

From my research on this forum and the great google, it seems that the throttle positioning sensor and crankshaft positioning sensor are two common reasons that this could happen. one post i read was about the crankshaft positioning sensor would fail when it got hot and would work when the temperature dropped.

If anyone has any other ideas or input i would gladly appreciate it.

Thanks
 
  #38  
Old 05-25-2016, 02:45 PM
4x4pwr's Avatar
4x4pwr
4x4pwr is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 508
4x4pwr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I cleaned my motorcraft IAC and adjusted my TPS and all is well now.
 
  #39  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:50 AM
4x4pwr's Avatar
4x4pwr
4x4pwr is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 508
4x4pwr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Grimlin is back... I guess it's time to buy a new TPS and see if that fixes it. I am going out to clean the Throttle body again just for good measure. Fustrating to say the least. Engine runs like a top otherwise.
 
  #40  
Old 04-19-2017, 11:10 AM
rock2610d's Avatar
rock2610d
rock2610d is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,162
rock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to all
Is check engine light on?

IAC is typically an idle device and should not cause a motor to die at 70 mph.

I would look at fuel pump and relays.
Cam position sensor
Crank position sensor
 
  #41  
Old 04-19-2017, 11:51 AM
4x4pwr's Avatar
4x4pwr
4x4pwr is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 508
4x4pwr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by rock2610d View Post
Is check engine light on?

IAC is typically an idle device and should not cause a motor to die at 70 mph.

I would look at fuel pump and relays.
Cam position sensor
Crank position sensor
I assume your responding to the original poster? My stall issue only occurs at idle or when coming to a stop and entering the idle circuit. I have replaced the IAC already.
 
  #42  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 PM
4x4pwr's Avatar
4x4pwr
4x4pwr is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 508
4x4pwr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 4x4pwr View Post
I assume your responding to the original poster? My stall issue only occurs at idle or when coming to a stop and entering the idle circuit. I have replaced the IAC already.
Well I cleaned my throttle body, no one had a ford brands TPS locally and I really didn't believe that was the issue so i held off ordering one.

Driving around in town today, coming to a stop the truck started to die..... 800rpm, 700rpm, 600rpm, 500rpm, 400rpm, I took the shifter from drive to nuetral and engine went up to 1100rpm immediately. My torque converter has never made a sound like it was going out, but that's my suspect at this point.
 
  #43  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 PM
rock2610d's Avatar
rock2610d
rock2610d is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,162
rock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to all
I know you said IAC is new but it sure sounds like a IAC issue.

1100 is too high in park or neutral. 400 is too low in drive with no gas applied.

Try starting motor, than unplug connector from IAC. Motor should die from lack of air. If it does not, suspect IAC.

Than plug IAC back in if motor dies, and restart motor. While idling at 1100, use a set of vice grips and clamp off a big portion of hose going to IAC. If that idles down motor culprit is IAC.

if not it could be the MAF. Take it completely appart and clean it. Don't just spray cleaner from front. Completely remove MAF from vehicle and clean thourally.
 
  #44  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 PM
4x4pwr's Avatar
4x4pwr
4x4pwr is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 508
4x4pwr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by rock2610d View Post
I know you said IAC is new but it sure sounds like a IAC issue.

1100 is too high in park or neutral. 400 is too low in drive with no gas applied.

Try starting motor, than unplug connector from IAC. Motor should die from lack of air. If it does not, suspect IAC.

Than plug IAC back in if motor dies, and restart motor. While idling at 1100, use a set of vice grips and clamp off a big portion of hose going to IAC. If that idles down motor culprit is IAC.

if not it could be the MAF. Take it completely appart and clean it. Don't just spray cleaner from front. Completely remove MAF from vehicle and clean thourally.
I never said it idles at 1100rpm in park. I said when it was about to die I put it in neutral and it went up from 400 rpm to 1100. This makes sense as its fighting the torque converter to stay running, you remove the load and the rpms increase. Unplugging your IAC should not stall your vehicle out. It will lower your rpms, but not stall your truck out unless you have other issues. If you unplugged your IAC while in the park position it "may" stall it out, but even then I'm pretty sure it only drops your rpm's by a few hundred.

It's nothing mechanical with the engine at this point.

Engine idles at 650rpm just fine when parked.
 
  #45  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:59 AM
R&T Babich
R&T Babich is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,259
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Here's an interesting article on the IAC valves - http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...ol-valve-work/
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V10 stalling


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.