General Automotive Discussion

A bad idea to begin with

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Joe fix it
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bad idea to begin with

Thought I would tell you guys about the couple of days I had last week. It all started with me adjusting my carb on my 70 F100. Get it running great go and take it for a spin, come upon a dirt road seems pretty dry from where I am so I go on it, go through a couple of puddles no big deal, then there comes a very big puddle I decide it would be better to take the grass beside the road rather than the mud, not a good idea sink down the the axle, keep in mind this is a two wheel drive truck. After about 2 hours of digging and tryin to rock out I over heat the dang truck and after walk home. I tell Pop and he has a good laugh about it and decides he is gonna pull me out with his semi, we go out there and he realises how muddy it is and we almost don't make it back to the road, the semi with dual air lockers was spinnin the whole way back. So I leave my truck over night. The next day my uncle and cousin see my truck out there in the road and decide that they want to pull me out, For some reason they decide to turn around in a field and they burry my cousins 99 F250 powerstroke in mud up to the frame, so my uncle decides he is gonna put his Peterbuilt water truck out there and pull us out, he is going along and slowly backs into the grass and gets stuck. So now there are 3 vehicles stuck in the same spot. A few days go by and me and my brother decide that we should go get my truck out, we refill my radiator with water and he pushes me out. I told everybody there all I needed was a push, but they didn't believe me, anyway that was my excitment for the week. If you guys have some stories about getting stuck or trying to get people unstuck post them up too.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:46 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Funny! Wish you had taken some pics.

Old 05-01-2005, 01:39 AM
christaylor
Posting Guru
I had bought a Toyota 4x4 cheap about 15 years ago and went to pull a guy at work out of the mud. When I got to him I realized why I got such a good deal... The 4x did not engage. so another guy in a F250 hooked up to both of us and we were out. Spent all winter sliding with out the use of 4x. In the spring some one suggested that I just regrease the bearing and see if that works. Well It did and boy did I feel stupid.

Old 05-01-2005, 03:31 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
wow,,, Ive gotten 2 vehicles stuck at once, but never 3. got any pics?

Old 05-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Joe fix it
Senior User
No, sorry no pics to show you guys, but glad to see some other people don't mind showin what happens to them too, kinda makes me feel better.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I was loaading hay for a guy one day on a goosneck when the ground was frozen, HARD too.

Anyway the truck was fine just outside the barn and didn't even mark the ground when unloaded, after the sun popped out a bit I guess it thawed the crust enough, though still frozen, and when the truck went to move it went a little ways and started spinning, no problem, the driver locked it in and all four tires just plain sunk on first movement.
No problem, got a 190 Allis Chalmers to pull it out of the barn lot, it had a bale on the back of it as it was used to feed alot, well it sunk after it started to pull.
So we got a 4020 JD, hooked it too the AC (we didn't have much choice since the chain between the truck and first tractor was tight. Long story short we then had two tractors, and a 3/4 ton truck stuck.
So now there is a 4020 JD (about 95 hp) stuck with a tight chain to a 190 AC (about 80-90 hp) that is stuck with a tight chain to a 3/4 ton truck with a 35' gooseneck loaded with about 200 bales of hay (trailer has yet to sink). Pulled them all out with a 1486 IH that a farmer was driving by with.

I once saw a truck stuck that eventually took two steigers to get everything out. The kid was out 4-wheeling in the winter time after the river had gone down and DUH, he got stuck, bad! Needless to say the farmer was not happy about it after it was all said and done. Of course if you had your field rutted up by some kid in a 4wd truck and he got your JD 4440 stuck without your knowledge you'd probably be mad too. Note, I was not involved in this matter at all, I did watch the last of it though.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:26 AM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one and only time i had gotten stuck, my dad was going down to check out this property near our house, his is a 94 ranger 4x4, he pulls down there and gets stuck. He calls me at the house and is like, i'm stuck, bring ur truck down here to pull me out, we found out his 4x4 didn't work, what a bummer, but I go down in my 94 ranger 2wd and pull him out, I go down a little bit and try to turn around, and quickly realize, thats not going to work, so i try and back all the way out, not a good idea either, i get stuck. My dad manuevers his way out and sees that i got stuck, so he trys to back his truck down to get me, but in the process slides his truck off the ditch embankment and sinks it to the front axle, it's pouring down rain, we are trying to rock mine out, wasn't a big hole, rocking didn't work, tried pushing, that didn't work, we walked to my dads and decided his was a lost cause, so we call our neighbor who is about 1.5 miles down the road, tell him our troubles, and he brings his tractor up to get us, pulled us both out, my truck was brown as it could be from all the mud we slung, left it that way for a week and dripped all over my parking spot at school, told everyone how i went mudding in my 2wd................and got stuck trying to pull my dad out, lol.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:47 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2:45 am went to get beer at the bar that closed at 3 am, 5 miles away. put the rattletrap (88 superduty 4X4 diesel with banks turbo) in 4 wheel and off across the 50 acre field i go. hit the road, pop it in 2wheel, speed to the bar, and get 10 cases before they close . back to the field,and 3/4 across the field i come to the same wet spot i went through 15 min before, and sank to the front bumper. forgot to put the tcase back in 4X4. DOH !!! called the house, and out comes a 4 cylinder jeep, with 200 ft of 1/4 inch case hardened chain. pulls me 3 ft backwards and i step on the brakes and stop him. wrap the chain up, and now with the 4X4 engaged, go rite through the spot where i was just stuck. made it back to the house before the beer got warm, and drank it all .

Old 05-03-2005, 01:05 PM
woogs
Elder User
had a bon fire at a buddy's a few months back. we were usin' my truck to ferry people back and for tween the pasture and the house. (2wd F-150 Sport, 5sp. 4.2 V6) there was a muddy spot I knew I couldn't get through so we just hit it fast every time and let momentum get us through. no big deal. after everybody had left we just needed to run down and clean up where we'd had the fire. well on the way back it being uphill and having been through it about 7 times already it was pretty slick. he being the backseat driver he is, says go to the right and miss that spot this time, this is his land I figure he knows what he's talking about. RIGHT, turned out to be more muddy and about twice the distace to cover. almost made it before we ran out of momentum. we dug for a while, pushed, pulled, rocked. nothing. He happened to be gettin' a new roof at the time, so we treked back over there and grabed some shingles. Didn't do anything sept give me a flat tire from a nail we missed.(slow leak didn't notice it till the next day). 3am we finally give up, gotta be up in 3 hours for church, lets walk back git cleaned up and go to bed. next morning talked his roofer into pulling me out with his truck. he gets down there, and tie the trucks together. he starts to pull forward to get the rope tight before I get in and he's just sliding everywhere. so I yanked off the rope real fast and hollered for him to keep going and get out of the mud. ended up gettin' a 50' 1" rope and pullin' me out from dry ground

Old 05-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Jdslacy
Junior User
I was 16 and mom let me take dads 2wd chevy suburban to deliver my papers(dads gas!). Being young and stupid I decided to take the shortcut through the woods to my next stop. I was straddling some ruts when I slipped in the rut and bottomed out on the center high spot. Both of the back wheels were off the ground. I piled rocks under the wheels using the jack on each side to get it higher to install them. I got in the truck and tried to go but it wouldn't move. Panicking I walked to the local farmers house for help. He drove a big flatbed dually. He came to help me, looked over the situation and started pulling the truck down the hill to level ground. As he pulled it the back wheels just slide and did not roll. We figured I must of damaged the tranny. He offered to drive me home the six miles so I could tell mom and dad but I told him I would walk (Because I was afraid to go home!). I walked about a half mile then I ran back to the suburban, released the park brake and drove on!!! I never did tell my dad. He passed away 13 years ago and I am now 41. I wish I had told him now, we could have shared a laugh

Old 05-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Went onna first date with a girl. tried to get to the river. I have a 84 2wd fi50 I hit the mud, spun the tires like crazy and stayed on top of it, then I saw the water puddles.... nuff said...... dodge durango got me out 4 hours later.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:14 PM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
I got a good one. Neghbors semi gets stuck in some real bad mud/snow during a storm. I try to pull him out with parents 2002 F-350 4WD PowerStroke, slides into ditch as Im backing up too it, dont even get a chance to chain it up, its spinning up to the axle. I then walk up to the house and get our 73 Ford Loader, I too gets stuck in the ditch. I then get 50 year old small farm tractor, it does not make it to the other vechiles. I then make a stupid desion and get my 66 F-100 2WD limited slip with chains. I have most luck with it and manage to move the Semi truck 5 ft before the 66 slides into the ditch and hits the loader.

So know we have 5 vechiles stuck on the road, its a mess. It took us a week to get em unstuck.
That sucked bad, the trucker payed me $100 for trying but failing to get him unstuck.