General Automotive Discussion

Performance SUV's

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:13 PM
JerNla
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Performance SUV's

I was just reading at MotorTrend.com and saw where they were introducing 2 new performance SUV at the New York auto show. They had the Chevy TrailBlazer SS, it has a LS2 6.0L V8 with 400 HP and 395 Tq. and predicts a 0-60 time of under 6 seconds. The other one was the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, it has a 6.1L HEMI V8 with 415 HP and 410 Tq. and a 0-60 time of under 5 seconds, which would put it ahead of the Porsche Chayenne Turbo and give it the title of "Fastest SUV on the Planet"! I think it would be neat if they let SVT get ahold of an Explorer, lower it a couple inches and give it some new suspension componets and drop in a supercharged 5.4L like the one in the new GT500, and it would prolly out accelerate both the Jeep and the Chevy as well as definately out hadle them both with the benifets of IRS. What do ya'll think of that??

Old 03-27-2005, 09:19 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think anything larger than a SMALL V6 in an SUV is just stupid. It's a people machine not a race car. If I want to go fast I have a malibu for that, or I can buy a mustang or 'vette.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Smaug
Posting Guru
Old 03-27-2005, 09:27 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why?

If you want to go fast, buy a sports car. Or at least, put a big engine in an old truck like I did.

I drive a '92 explorer. 160hp. I'm happy with it. I wouldn't want it to go any faster. They're not supposed to go fast. They're supposed to haul you, your friends, and your junk, where ever you're going. Glorified 4 wheel drive station wagon. Good off-road with extra ground clearance. Today's SUV's are losing ground clearance quick. If you dont need 4 wheel drive or care about ground clearance, get a minivan.

What's next, the SVT Windstar? I can hear it now, "My daddy's minivan goes faster than your daddy's minivan!" Give me a break.

I fail to see the point. In my opinion, SUV's simply lack the "cool" factor. I do respect them for their offroad abilities (limited in newer models) but it is not, and was never meant to be, a performance vehcile.

Edit: So I dont want 'em to make a high performance Explorer. A 4.0L V6 should be the base, and ONLY engine option. I'd even like 'em to bring back the pushrod V6.

Last edited by rusty70f100; 03-27-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:36 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
The only issue I have with the Trailblazer SS is the 2WD part of it. There's always something, ya know?

Old 03-27-2005, 09:41 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to mention the bowtie on the front of it.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:30 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I don't have a problem with that- there's a bowtie and a blue oval out front within a few hundred feet of my office.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:44 AM
BigGreen'77
Senior User
I'd like to throw in an .02 here...

Ive got an '00 Mountaineer with the 302. I refused to buy one with the 4.0. Fine motor, but thats just not me.

I'd love to find an old Saleen Explorer, or for an Hi-Po SUV ot SUT to be introduced, and heres why...

I tow a boat, a waverunner, and sometimes a car trailer, along with lots of cargo on road trips, so I need something that can tow, which could be a truck, BUT, I also carry passengers on a regular basis, so I could narrow it down to a SuperCrew Harley Davidson F-150, which I have seriously considered, BUT, since I find myself pulling either of our watercraft up slippery, slimey boat ramps, and I like something safe for the girl to be able to jump into and go no matter what the weather (snow), 4x4/AWD is a must, or at least I would sure like to have it.

So, if somebody (particularly Ford) would come out with something that can tow, carry 4-5 people, be 4x4/AWD, and be a sporty/fast ride all in one, Im buying.

Not saying they are for everyone, but at least think about that aspect of it.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:10 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
How much of an increase in rollovers do you think we'll see from these? They may put a better suspension in them, but they can't change the laws of physics.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:31 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's just market segmentation at work, they're just trying to make a product that appeals to a market which hasn't been tapped yet. You will find many of these types of vehicles now, and even more in the future.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:35 AM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
Originally Posted by pfogle
I think anything larger than a SMALL V6 in an SUV is just stupid. It's a people machine not a race car. If I want to go fast I have a malibu for that, or I can buy a mustang or 'vette.
The Excursion is considered an SUV, at almost 8,000 pounds I dont think a v6 would move it very well, if at all. You load a SUV up with a family and then hitch it up to the boat and you will need somthing bigger than a v6 and thats what people buy SUV's for (not the people that get them for a status thing) Haul people and stuff when needed and and still be able to tow if they need that also. Whats wrong with trying to get more power from what you have? I wouldnt buy a vette or Stang because the insurance and cost of the extra vehicle would not be good.
These performance SUV's are not really new, remember the mid 80's Typhoon from GMC? I drove one once and it was a blast. AWD, turbo V6, great handleing, lots of fun.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:45 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
The 2wd SUV doesn't bother me a bit. I had an 82 GMC Jimmy (full size) in a 2wd. That was a fun vehicle in the summer. Don't bother using it in the winter time as it was useless with the 3.73 rear end and the beefed up 350.

One of the neetest vehicles I saw was a 87 S10 Blazer. It had a blown 350, lowered and would smoke all 4 tires when put in 4wd. I don't think I would be interested in either the jeep or the trailblazer, but somebody will.