1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Hey all, Bunch of Expedition questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 01:22 PM
NorCalRider14
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all, Bunch of Expedition questions!

Hi there, I'm new to the boards, and I did a quick search of them, but I thought I'd post my questions anyway

First off, I'm 17, and will be 18 in the fall. I'll be purchasing a 99-00 Expedition sometime following my 18th birthday. I was looking into a 98 at first, but was told that in 99 they made a few engine upgrades to the 5.4, is this true? I'm not too worried about power, my Blazer I drive right now has a 4.3, and it's not too peppy, lol.
My first mods will be Exhaust (50 series Flowmaster or 18" Magnaflow), Intake, and a Chip following in the future after the exhaust/intake. My questions are, have any of you installed the Volant or K&N systems on your Expedition? I've heard of some behicles having trouble fitment wise with an aftermarket intake system, and I want to make sure I get one that will fit. I'm ab big fan of K&N's products, mainly since I come from a family of Dirt track racing, so I'm fond of K&N's design, so it's either that or a volant system.
Next question is programmers and performance chips. I've currently got a JET in my 4.3, and I'm pleased with the results as far as mileage, but performance wasn't really increased much. I knowit's only a 4.3 so I won't expect much, but I thought I'd get more than just smoother acceleration, lol. So what would you guys reccomend as far as programmers or chips?

Stereo mods: I think I saw that the Expeditions are able to hold 6.5" compnents, right? I'm looking at MB Quart Reference components, Infinity Kappa's, and Polk Audio. Rear speakers, I'm not sure what fits, but I'm mainly a fan of Infinity, Polk, MB Quart, and some Alpine speakers. I've got Polk Audio db 6x9's in my Blazer, and I LOVE the sound they produce, especially for the price. My Infinity Reference 4" plates in the dash sound great, but the highs they produce are really high pitched, so I'm trying to stray from the Reference series if I can... Once agai lol, what would you all reccomend, mainly for rear speakers. I know I'll have a sub, but it will be a single 10, most like an Alpine Type R w/ a 6-800 watt amp. I don't need a lot of bass, but it's nice to have it when you want it.

And last but not least, TIRES! I'm a big off roading fan, and I love trampling through mud whenever possible. I'll stick w/ the stock 16" or 17" Rims (E.B trim comes w/ 17" rims, right?), and I'm looking at 275-285's, 285's prefferably if they'll fit. I'm leaning towards the BFG Mud Terrains, Wild Country TXR's, or General M/T's. the only disadvantage is that it's going to be a daily driver, and although I'm only 17, I put 15-20k on my car in the short year I've had it, so I'm thinking a nice All Terrain would be nice. What works good on the Expeditions? My sister has the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, and she said she's had no trouble in Tahoe snow or in sloppy mud, and w/ approx. 8,000 miles or so on them, there's hardly any tread wear. So even a decent all terrain will be fine.

sorry for such a long post, I just want to do everything right the first time, and I want to make sure that I will like what I get. If you took the time to read this whole thing, and are willing to write a response, thank you!

Take Care,
Dolan

Old 02-13-2005, 04:01 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Dolan, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.

We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:28 PM
NorCalRider14
New User
Thank you for the Welcome, Tim

And it looks like this is a great place for information!

Dolan

Old 02-13-2005, 04:44 PM
2000expie
New User
I have a Gibson catback exhaust that works well. Not too noisy in the cabin and just enough rumble, although it could be a bit louder. I have an air raid intake that fit just fine. As for tires, I have 295's on mine, however, I also have a 3" Fabtech lift. My tires are BF Goodrige all terrain. They work well and are quiet on the highway. The thread wear is also good. I go up to Mammoth a lot and have no problems considering I have a 2WD. In the summer I do light off roading to launch my Sea Doo and the same, no problems. They grip good in soft sand and work well in all terrain, just like the brand states. Hope this helps. Oh, I have a 2000 expie 5.4 triton, just in case your wondering.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:29 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
As for your other mods..... If your looking at a chip I would suggest a programmer instead. They have a little more flexibility. Diablo has a good programmer and hypertech has a good programmer.
As for your speakers.... I installed a set of Infinity Reference components in my front doors. The sound quality is awesome and it has an adjustable crossover so you can tune down your highs. I installed a set of Infinity 5x7 in the rear doors and since I have the MACH sound system I replaced the stock sub with an 8" sony. I didn't replace anything else in the stereo system at all! Stock head, cd changer, and amps.
Tires.... 285's will fit with no lift. Yes the Eddie bauer comes through with 17" wheels, some of the XLT's had 17's also. Bridgestone Dueller Revos got rave reviews here. I personally needed an 8 ply tire so I dropped down to a 16" wheel and went with a Uniroyal Laredo AWP. They are good in the rain and snow and they are quiet on the road. I couldn't find a decent load range tire in 17" without spending an arm and a leg. Good luck... I hope this information helps a bit!

Old 02-13-2005, 06:07 PM
NorCalRider14
New User
Thanks guys. I haven't heard much about the Diablo programmer, but everything I have heard is positive.
I'm not worried about load range, since for the first year or two I shouldn;t be towing anything heavy. A good 6 ply give a great ride and durability, right? My dad had BFG Land Terrain 245/75R16's installed on his Ram, and they came w/ a 4 ply sidewall. He said the ride is a lot spongier than his previous tires, but then again he also hauls around quite a load of tools in it every day.
I like the BFG A/T's, but IMO they're too cmoon. I know they're a damn good tire, I just want something a bit different, but will still be able to perform. That's why I'm starting to lean towards All Terrains, and also since it will be a daily driver. I think you made up my mind about running 285's, so I'll start looking around for a set I like.
I doubt a lift or anything will come in the near future after purchase, and at the max a 3". I may be a kid, but I know what's practical and such, unlike numerous numnutz kids I go to school with. All they care about is 12" of lift with 44's, YUCK!

Again, thanks for the information, and keep it coming!

Old 02-14-2005, 04:37 AM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
When you're looking at prospective 99's, make sure you check for any signs of oil leakage from the right head - many of them had a "mis-machined" head and developed leaks.

Regards,
Scott

Old 02-14-2005, 07:39 AM
mack6820
Junior User
I have a 98 Expy 4x4. Ive installed a cat-back dual exhaust with NO mufflers. I love the sound and horsepower it gives me. Ive also installed a K&N GEN2 cold air intake, throttlebody spacer. 3" body lift with 33x12.5x17 procomp MTs. Oh, its the 5.4L. I didnt have any problems installing the intake or spacer. I boght the Hypertech programmer and its junk. The only thing it does is change your shift points. I would install what you want, install a set of headers, then have someone flash your computer to read exactly what the engine is trying to do. Chips and programmers only readjust the computer to certain perimiters. Having the computer flashed will force the computer to understand exactly what mods you have installed.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:45 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A programmer flashes the computer. A chip accomplishes the same thing. It doesn't matter how the program is delivered to the computer, be it directly flashing the computer, using a programmer to flash it or a chip to override the on-board ROM.

If you want great results go with a DiabloSport chip, Superchips programmer or if you have custom needs use an SCT XCalibrator, 9100 Microtuner or chip. All can be found here: www.motorhaven.com

Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 AM
18fan
Senior User
Dolan, I have a 99 EB, I have got a WMS Velocity Tube which lets you keep the stock filter box and gives you a larger tube into the fenderwell opening. I also have a K & N filter, this was a simple change. I also have a 3" catback with 50 series flowmasters, it can be a little loud at times for anyone riding in the back. Another good option is replacing the rear sway bar, I have a helwig. I have also put in a Trans-go shiftkit. Mine did have the leaking headgasket so you need to check that before you buy, mine started around 63k. Good luck

Old 02-14-2005, 02:08 PM
NorCalRider14
New User
Originally Posted by 18fan
Dolan, I have a 99 EB, I have got a WMS Velocity Tube which lets you keep the stock filter box and gives you a larger tube into the fenderwell opening. I also have a K & N filter, this was a simple change. I also have a 3" catback with 50 series flowmasters, it can be a little loud at times for anyone riding in the back. Another good option is replacing the rear sway bar, I have a helwig. I have also put in a Trans-go shiftkit. Mine did have the leaking headgasket so you need to check that before you buy, mine started around 63k. Good luck
Cool, great info! I'm not too worried about the 50 series being too loud inside, I don't mind rumble but drone is what kills me. I'm one of the few 17 year olds I know that would rather have a sweet sounding, not-so-loud exhaust system than ablls out loud and having it sound horrible. Sometimes you have to sacrifice sound levels for sound quality

That's one thing I will really look into, the head gasket thing. I would have never known if it wasn't for you guys mentioning it. You've all been extremely helpful, and I thank you! In about an hour I'll be down test drving a 99 at the dealership, so I can finally get the feel of these beasts. I've ridden in many, never driven one. I know its a ways before I finally buy one (Sept.-Oct.), but it doesn't hurt to start early!

Thanks again
Dolan

Old 02-14-2005, 02:47 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Dolan,

Best of luck and look them over GOOD!

Scott

Old 02-14-2005, 04:38 PM
NorCalRider14
New User
Thanks, Scott. I just got back about 20 minutes ago, and i'm fairly impressed with the vehicle.
I test drove an 01 Eddie Bauer 4wd, Black w/ Tan interior. NICE vehicle! The seat felt a bit big at first, but after driving it for a couple minutes I felt right at home. There's more than enough room for me personally being I'm only 5'3, so interior space isn't an issue for me. I was actually suprised, the 5.4 was peppier than I thought it would be. Like I said, I've ridden in a lot of Expeditions, but I've never driven one. I was suprised at how quick it responds off the line, and it seems to have a decent amount of torque too. The steering is fairly light on these too, which I was very suprised for the weight of these things. The turning radius is great too. The only disadvantages to this one were that it was black and a 2001. Although I could afford an 01, it wouldn't be the smartest move right out of high school to buy an exspencive vehicle. A 99-00 is plenty fine for me.

I was dissapointed though, the guy I talked with a couple days ago went home earlier since he was sick, so I got paired up with another guy. Nice, fun to talk with, but he pressured me from the start. I told him what I was looking for, how much I was willing to spend, and that I'd be back in 608 months most likely, before I went ahead and bought one.
After the test drive he took me inside and asked me questions about what I liked/disliked, and he kept talking with the manager. finally, after about 15 minutes he realizes that I'm 17, I'm not ready to buy yet, and that I was looking at certain things I want if I get an Expy, so he slowed down and just offered me a box of chocolates (dealer gives chocolates to everyone who test drives???), but I declined, not a huge choco fan...

So yeah. I'm really impressed with these vehicles thus far. I've got a while longer before I make my finaly desicion, but there's another point on the board for the Expy!