Sponsored by: DP Tuner

shackle reversal??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 08:57 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shackle reversal??

ok i was lookin at the shackle reversal kit from oru. i dont like most of the kit, i like a strait sided shackle. who has built there shackle reversal? which bilstien shock are you using? im wondering if my bilstiens will work right now. with the front springs sagged out theres only like 2 inches of shaft out of the body right now. i wanna start building the reversal kit so when my axle gets here im ready to go.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
1995Ford250
Junior User
Bump, I was wondering the same thing

Old 03-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I went with the ORU kit, and haven't had any trouble with it whatsoever.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:40 AM
69cruiser
Senior User
buddy was looking to buy one but oru said they where so back ordered they were going to pull it from their catalog

Old 03-12-2005, 02:56 AM
BigRed350
Senior User
Abybody know how the ORU kit compares with the SKY Manufacturing kit? Other than the ORU being more expensive, do they both contain the same parts?

Old 03-12-2005, 08:31 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i think there the same for the most part. the sky has more lift to it. i just built mine. i was having a hard time shelling out $500 for something that only tooke me 3 hours to build. ORU backordered??? hmmm sounds like off shore manufacturing to me......

Old 03-13-2005, 03:16 PM
69cruiser
Senior User
ya i agree oru is way over priced we did a shackle reversal search on goggle you'll find other companies that sell it for cheaper then oru hey barebackjake got any pics on the one you fabbed up would love to look at it for some inspiration how much lift did you make it with

Old 03-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Rowdyone
Senior User
I am in the process of doing one on the GWE, going to raise mine about 3" I think. Will figure exactly what I will do once I take her down. Going to move the axle forward 1 & 1/2" also. Space the front bumper out and then hang my 12K warn winch on the front also. Then do some rework on the cheap a$$ Ranch Hand brush guard I have. Just finished building me a greaseable roller fairlead for the winch also. This sucker is not going to fold up like those cheap things they sale either LOL...

I am going to be curious just how much difference the ride will be with the shackle on the back side of the axle. I don't see this as much a challenge really, not going to bolt to the frame though as I like things welded up nicely. Will shoot PIC's of this when I start it as I am gathering up new spring bolts and material for everything.

I do thing the kit these places have is a little over priced, as I have mine figured right now with enough material to build mine like I am use to which is over built with thicker plate steel and grade eight bolts for the springs and shackles I have mine at less than 75 bucks for materials.

Guess they have to pay someone to do all this, but there is not 300 + bucks labor in this and mine is not made from 1/4" steel. PIC's will be added to my gallery soon as I start this all up getting the wheelbase stretched out and lift the front up. Then once I get the lift all done, soon after that plan on mounting 35" ProComp Xterrain's under the GWE and ditch the 305's. Think the 35's will help just a little more with the 4.10's for better MPG.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:20 PM
69cruiser
Senior User
hey rowdy very interested in seeing some pics of your ride that link to the other fab shop that offers the reversal is crawltech looks just *** good and it is a 3 1/2 lift instead of orus 3 i think their out by you too

Old 03-13-2005, 07:23 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowdyone

I do thing the kit these places have is a little over priced, as I have mine figured right now with enough material to build mine like I am use to which is over built with thicker plate steel and grade eight bolts for the springs and shackles I have mine at less than 75 bucks for materials.

I built mine 2 years ago. Cost me $60 in materials and about 4 hours to build. Built it one weekend and put it on the next. I'm still using it and 18 inches of lift later, it's still holding up. I did however have to use longer shackles with the high-arch springs I've got (3 inch center to center weren't long enough and they would overextend). Now I'm running 5.5" c to c shackles.

Cody

Old 03-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Rowdyone
Senior User
Not seen this crawltech stuff, do they have a web site? The 60 bucks does sound about right actually, I have included a little extra in my budget for this project cause after building things like this for way many years, I have found that I get half way into something sometimes and see something else that I want to do and add it on LOL... Just like my winch that I am going to hang on at the same time.

This all started as a project for me as messing around with tire size again to see if I can get the 20 MPG or better. Have enough power to haul anything I get on now pretty much. Then I saw that the mods I made to get the 305's under the GWE will have to be modified again somewhat. So I figured what better time to fit the reverse shackles to the GWE at the same time.

While figure on what material I needed and length of bolts for the springs, I saw the chance to go ahead and mount the 12K winch I have. So built the roller fairlead for that last week with some stuff I already had, and will just add this on with the rest of the lift and shackle reverse.

I have looked at several company's kits for this and see that most use basically the same stuff and all, and want way more money than I need to spend on this when I can make something better than they sale. Money always gets in the way of things around my house anyway, so its no big deal and nothing I am a stranger with. Besides I like making things like this and I don't mind saying I am good at it. I have had lots of experience and can thank of no better teacher anyway.

I do look forward to seeing what everyone does with theirs as well. That is what I have always loved about this site, guys do alot of things on here and then share what they have done and how it has worked out, that way everyone else can do the same or if there is something that needs to be done different everyone talks about it here and we all benefit from this together. Great topic here and one that I have been messing around with for about a week or two already myself. Was kind of cool to see others thinging about the same things and getting things in order for theirs and talking about this all here.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:10 PM
69cruiser
Senior User
as long as you have the right dimmensions fabbing it shouldnt he a problem as starting projects i'm the king of that have a 69 cruiser and a 69 bronco still awaiting some tlc got my 7.3 350 lost interest in all others

Old 03-14-2005, 09:11 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i got 3" out of mine i was trying to keep it as minimal as possible. tow gooseneck horse trailer with the truck. i will get pics as soon as i get my digital camera back. it only took me 2 hours to build everything. havent got it on the truck yet though. now i just gotta finish my new fromt bumper and nerf bars.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:36 PM
1995Ford250
Junior User
Bumb, I was just wondering about pics. I'd like to start mine soon, thanks