Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford's future . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 03:29 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Anyhow, back on topic, what do you guys think can be done to stop Ford's market share spiraling into a heap?"

Well, lets start by resolving some key product shortages. 500's, Freestyles, Mustangs, Hybrid Escapes....let's throw in SD's too, while we're at it.

Focus/Ranger: there are three criterion in these market sectors: price, price, and price. Ford's trying to take 'em upscale, but that's not where the entry-level market is.

500/Freestyle: boring sells in this segment- but so does power. Chryslers got a Hemi, the Impala's getting a 5.3 V8 next year. It's pretty obvious what has to happen (to me, anyway).

Expedition: needs to be much more car-like. GM owns this segment for a reason- you'd be stunned at how many F150's have a Suburban/Tahoe/ Yukon as a garage-mate in our area. they're fine trucks- but need to appeal more to the affluent soccer-mom market that actually buys them (or at least makes the decision on what get's bought).

Lincoln: they're nice cars- but they need to be special. More power, high-zoot styling, restrict the rental car sales (it cheapens the brand).

Old 02-20-2005, 11:34 PM
cjstang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2c

As a long time Ford owner, and a longer-time car enthusiast, I'll add my 2c.
1st, I have no blind loyalty to any company (just plain silly IMHO), nor do I wish any of them ill.

But for the 'full-size', non-commercial truck market, one that nearly single-handedly keeps Ford from going into the scrap heap, forget about GM and Dodge. They've been the only players in this market and as long as that continues, Ford will do fine here. BUT, they ain't the only players anymore, and more will be joining. I can see all of the Big3 getting overtaken by the likes of Toyota, Nissan, and (soon to join the fray) Honda (I don't long for that day!). Laugh if you want, but that's just what the Big3 faithful did 30,35 years ago - laugh - before foreign competion spanked them - and BAD.

Has any of the Big3 ever recovered their market share? Do you think they could? All the Big3 are in relatively tough shape financially, and they have commits that will hold them back for decades. From my vantage point, I'd round up every spare dollar, stretch design cycles (even more than they are now if necessary), and give up some new development and invest in the dealerships and service departments - train and keep good techs & managers and toss out the bad; offer the absolute best dependability (none of the Big3 can claim that), with fair and honest service (don't think they could make a strong case here either). Believe me, I'd love to see Ford continue their sales leadership, but if I were a bettin' man. . .

Last edited by IB Tim; 02-21-2005 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Space