1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Concerned that Ford has had 4 PSD engines in 10 yrs,how about the future of PSD?
Ford has done nothing wrong, future will be great
24.75%
Ford has done nothing wrong, future will be bad
0.99%
Not Concerned, future will be good
29.70%
Not Concerned, future will be bad
0%
Concerned, however future will be good
20.79%
Concerned, also future will be bad
1.98%
Very Concerned, however future will be good
3.96%
Very Concerned, also future will be bad
3.96%
Dont Care
9.90%
Not sure how I feel, never thought about it much
3.96%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Still trust FORD diesel engines???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:53 PM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Still trust FORD diesel engines???????

Does anybody else find it alarming that FORD has released four different diesel engines, 7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L, 6.7L, in less than 10 years? It just seems like they rushed away from the 7.3L and are now working their way back.What do you think the future will hold for FORD diesels. Share your thoughts and vote.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM
84deisel
here sometimes
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emmisions are what caused the engine changes. Thank a tree hugger or a beauracrat ,if it wasent for them the 7.3 would still be produced today.BTW the 7.3 was produced for over 15 years so I dont think they rushed away from it.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
umm yea considering every engine change was due to factors outside of Fords control..

and for that matter so was the issue history with the early 6.0's...

keep in mind until this new motor, every deisel engine in the past was outsourced from some other company..

in my mind whateva the history of problems/solutions doesnt fall on Fords lap. but the manufactorer of the motor in question..

now starting with this all new and all Ford motor if problems arise then i'd be willing to start blaming Ford directly obviously..

Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
jstnromero
Postmaster
i agree the Navistar suits are the reasons for change along with the EPA. I do not believe that it is a bad thing that ford has put 4 different diesels in their trucks in the last 10 years. Time will tell how ford does on the new 6.7L in house diesel. I certainly believe that they have put a lot of time and effort into this as well as profusely testing. Hopefully the EPA will not change anything for a while, so that no more changes will have to be made and we can see how the new engine performs.

Just my .10

~jstnromero

Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
tn_viper
Freshman User
EPA, politics, bottom line. hard to predict the future with the MPG limitations coming.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
02mudbug
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as the other fellas have said, its all about the epa regs, the big trucks have had more changes to the motors than the pickups have, just look at the changes to the big cats, detroits, and cummins in the last decade. And if i recall correctly, you could still buy a 7.3 powered truck in foreign markets until a few years ago, like 07'? I think in Austrailia, and Africa anyway.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regardless of what was good or bad in the past, I think Ford now has as good an engine as anybody else with all the emissions junk on it. I have a 7.3L diesel now, but my next truck probably won't have a diesel from any of the Big 3. I'm just a hobby truck owner and I can't afford the cost of these new diesel trucks. They are priced out of my market, new or used.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Bryan966
Junior User
Loaded Question!

Ford chose every engine and owns every problem BUT nothing is that simple.

If Ford was able to keep the 7.3 and refine it we would all be pretty happy. Heck Dodge would have a refined 5.9 and the Duramax would all be excellent choices. We could then go back to arguing payload, suspension, stereo angles, and mirror sizes amongst other things.

Problem is every truck is getting bigger and better. Sure the 7.3 was a great engine but I like the creature features, ergonomics, and handling in my 09'.

Problem is the 7.3 had to go and Ford needed a new engine. The Navistar is a long story and it didn't work out so well, but it got better in later production trucks

The 6.4 is a great block but pushed into extinction for several reasons. Especially if trying to make it compliant for harsher standerds by Uncle EPA in the future. I wish they would have added a 6 speed sooner than 2011 though.

The 6.7........run Forrest run! Rather sit on the sidelines and see what happens. Even if the block is good (Ford has a lot of first in there) the emission control devices are becoming so restrictive that soon diesel trucks will come with their own "self contained plastic bubble". These "SCPB's" will include a full air purification system and carbon credit meter. We will all be hamsters at this point FYI.

Some day we might have a good diesel truck engine that can breath and get real world gas mileage........and be reliable again.......but only if.....excuse me......IF Uncle EPA let's technology catch up with his rules and regulations if it is at all possible.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan966
Ford chose every engine and owns every problem BUT nothing is that simple
No, they don't. Power Stroke engines prior to this new one were made by International Harvester (or Navistar, as they are also known) and not Ford. For that matter, the Duramax is from Isuzu and the 5.9L and 6.7L Dodge engines are made by Cummins.

If Ford was able to keep the 7.3 and refine it we would all be pretty happy. Heck Dodge would have a refined 5.9 and the Duramax would all be excellent choices.
The 5.9L Cummins (Not Dodge) was refined. It is a 6,7L now. The Duramax is an excellent engine, but it comes with a Chevy wrapped around it.

Problem is every truck is getting bigger and better. Sure the 7.3 was a great engine but I like the creature features, ergonomics, and handling in my 09'.
Actually they are getting lighter. The Super Duty trucks have kept the same relative dimensions since the very first 99 model. Not sure what you mean "getting bigger". Nothing is getting bigger except for my waistline.

Problem is the 7.3 had to go and Ford needed a new engine.
Do tell, why did the 7.3L have to go?

The 6.4 is a great block but pushed into extinction for several reasons. Especially if trying to make it compliant for harsher standerds by Uncle EPA in the future. I wish they would have added a 6 speed sooner than 2011 though.
You do realize the 6.4L Power Stroke block is based on the 6.0L engine block, right? Ford dropping the engine had nothing to do with the engines performance, longevity or ability to meet EPA standards. It is the result of the relationship between Navistar (IH) and Ford ending.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Bryan966
Junior User
Originally Posted by redford
You do realize that the 6.9L, 7.3L, 6.0: and 6.4L Power Stroke engines were all International engines, not Ford engines?

For that matter, you do know the 5.9L and 6.7L Ram engines are Cummins, not Dodge....and the Duramax engines really are not Chevrolet/GMC engines, but Isuzu engines?
Well, h ck e gee wizzz. Cummins isn't made by Dodge. Wow, an I taght the Dodge made all them there Cummings for them box trucks as well. Too bad Dodge can't mak dat truck in da US! (Sterling Heights)

Duramax Isuzu.....as in FRR or FTR technology? Isuzu is the reason for the reliability and mpg. They also have some of the most advanced ceramic engine technology patents. Man my 08' 2500 Duramax got good mpg. 17mpg @ 75mph!

Yes, I am aware. The point is that these companies choose their engines. They own any problems as well.

Now if we want to talk about the best Diesel power plant we can't forget the Mitsubishi. Specifically out of the "FM" series. Before the govermant got a hold of it one could expect 550,000 before an overhaul. Now it's down into the 300,000 mile range.

A few side notes:
When I say Dodge Diesel.....I think it is clear we are talking Cummings. Also the 6.7 was a joint venture between Dodge and Cummings! It started in 04' or 05' I believe. It is the most EPA compliant diesel engine to date in it's class.

Yes, new trucks are bigger. (not heavier) Beds are longer, wider, and taller. Payloads are getting extreme especially for 2011......ect

Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
need more choices in poll

Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
02mudbug
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind the ford Scorpian engine program was started in 05' I believe, after the flood of 6.0 problems. The 6.4 will continue to live on as a Maxxforce engine that International uses in class 3-5 trucks. Ford moved on because of bad blood between ford and navistar. Hopefully, the 6.7 does well

Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Bryan966
Junior User
I hope so!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:57 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
I've got a 7.3 and 2 6.0s and I've never had any real trouble out of any of them. I just wish the Fuel mileage would have been better on the 6.0s being smaller.

And trust them compared to what GM. I've had all the GM products I'll ever have. I use trucks that make me money, not sit in a service bay.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Bryan966
Junior User
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
I've got a 7.3 and 2 6.0s and I've never had any real trouble out of any of them. I just wish the Fuel mileage would have been better on the 6.0s being smaller.

And trust them compared to what GM. I've had all the GM products I'll ever have. I use trucks that make me money, not sit in a service bay.
I have a love hate relationship with trucks. To me none of them are perfect.
I fall in the same camp is you. I use my trucks to make money. My 08 Silverado 2500/Duramax was never in the shop except of a door actuator at 43,000 miles . It drove like a car which was good empty. The engine pulled fine but the car like suspension and lighter frame were felt under load. Awesome mpg's that I really miss. Especially if we drive over 1000 miles in a day!

I love my Ford 09' 350/DRW/LWB/PSD. It was born to haul. The cost has been mpg. Also it has been in the shop since March 2, 2010....yes today is the 10th. We are dealing with an electrical problem and every time they think they have found the little electrical gremlin, they order some out of stock part and well the truck is still in the shop. Maybe today or tomorrow. A hair over 11,000 on the odometer.

I have had a new truck just about every 2 years since 1995 and this is my first first Ford. I love it more than any of the others but this is the longest I have had a truck in the shop in 15 years as well. I'm sure it is a fluke but......

Quick Reply: Still trust FORD diesel engines???????