General Automotive Discussion

I got a taurus!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Xwarrior86
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a taurus!

Hey I just got a free 1993 Taurus GL with only 82K miles! But there's only one snag... The trans isn't shifting. It will go in gear and shift (automatic), but once you stop it wont go back into gear. It's like it sticks in neutral. But if you start and stop the engine enough and kick and scream it will eventually go again. What's up with that? Has anyone ever had this problem or know what causes it? Do Tauruses just suck?

Old 01-12-2005, 04:39 PM
RyanMiller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd do a tranny fluid change and put a new filter and gasket while your down there. make sure the fluid isnt burnt smelling

Old 01-12-2005, 08:44 PM
FSC
Senior User
If you are lucky, a filter and fluid change may be all you need, if that doesn't fix it, the its overhaul time,
there is no such thing as a free car.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Xwarrior86
More Turbo
No kidding, I guess it's true that nothing in life is free. I guess the filter thing is possible. But it'd have to be pretty clogged to completely stop the flow of fluid. I was wondering if it was possible that it could be some kind of sloppy mechanical lingage, but everything looks pretty good to me. What about vaccuum loss? Could that do it? Before I got it someone went through and slashed up a bunch of the vaccuum hoses.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:46 PM
7700Rob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about vaccuum loss? Could that do it? Before I got it someone went through and slashed up a bunch of the vaccuum hoses.

That could account for something! It may be worth taking to a reputable tranny shop and have them look it over. Most of these shops will diag for free. With only 82K, I'd fix it and drive it another 82!! Taurus' (Tauri) don't suck, they have had their fair share of tranny problems though. I've had two, both had "funny" shift behavior, but I always got where I was going. I sold my '86 in '99 with 175K on it, My '97 had 97K on it when I got T-boned bad. Good luck, keep us up dated. Rob

Old 01-13-2005, 12:37 AM
e1p1
Fleet Mechanic
Donate it and run like H...LL.

Taurus/Sable has always been plauged by crappy auto transmissions. As I understand it, part of the problem is they are way undercooled, and I think the valve assembly is cheaply built. Many trans shops don't replace all the innards either, just the part that broke...and then another part will go. But don't quote me on the specifics. Talk to a trustworthy trans guy.

I've known several Taurus/Sables that smoked the tranny before 70k miles. A guy I know has worked with the HP fleet (mostly Taurus') and the trans problem is well known to them. They sell 'em off at around 50K miles he told me.

You can get a totally rebuilt upgraded trans for I think $1750 (labor extra, and it's a bear I hear...you have to pull the engine and dismantle part of the subframe I was told...mucho hours) add a trans cooler and have a car that might go many miles but you could never sell it for what you put into it.

If you have the time and the skills, you could risk a junkyard tranny...but most of the Taurus's are in there because of the trans going out anyway. If you do it and get one that works, be sure to add another tranny cooler, and probably a synthetic additive to the fluid if it doesn't use one stock.

Oh yeah, and the motor mounts are more like a shock absorber than a simple mount and are pricey, and tend to go out before 100k. Price them as an FYI.

Too bad, because I inherited my dad's '90 Sable wagon a couple years ago and really like the way it drove in the mountains. Motor was strong, car was very stable. He'd had the trans supposedly rebuilt when it broke at 64k miles, but I think they ripped him off and put a junkyard tranny in.

It happened in Fresno on a road trip...gas station "fixed" it for $3000. Dad, RIP, was always too trusting and never good with cars. That trans lasted me 25k. Since the value of the car with a new trans would've been less than the cost to fix it, I junked it.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Xwarrior86
More Turbo
Thanks for the input. It acts like there's some kind of torque converter problem. Do those tranys have torque converters? The one in my truck went out a few years back and it did something very similar. I know the POS also has a radiator that is cracked wide open, so there's another problem. But it was free and looks pretty good, so I'll try to clean it up and do something cool with it. I've never seen a hot rod Taurus, could be the next big thing.... LoL

Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 PM
e1p1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Xwarrior86
I've never seen a hot rod Taurus, could be the next big thing.... LoL
Not sure, but isn't the Taurus SHO the git up and go version of it? You might do a search for Ford SHO or Taurus SHO, I think there are sites for it. I think my buddy knows a guy who put SHO running gear and engine into a Taurus wagon.

As for the innards of the trans, I'm clueless...I'd suggest calling all the trans shops in the yellow pages and get a consensus...

Good luck.

Erik

Old 01-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by e1p1
Not sure, but isn't the Taurus SHO the git up and go version of it?
That it is. 143 MPH right out of the box. Leather seats, power everything including moon roof, electronic temp control, pretty much loaded.

FWIW, here's a look at mine:

Old 01-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Thanks for the input. It acts like there's some kind of torque converter problem. Do those tranys have torque converters?
EVERY automatic has a torque converter. I don't understand how a torque converter could affect the shifting. Care to explain that?

The torque converter is operating any time the engine is running. It either transmits torque to the transmission or it doesn't. If it doesn't then the car won't move at all.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:05 AM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Maybe you could check out this group, it's an all Taurus club I found when I got my '97 (for free) http://www.taurusclub.com/

Old 01-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
What kind of engine is in the free Taurus GL? You have to be careful with those 3.8L Essex engines, they are renowned for blowing head gaskets. IMO, you wouldn't want to spend a lot of dough on a new/rebuilt tranny with that particular engine in it. Instead, just drop a used tranny in from the junkyard and get as many miles out of it as you can. The 3.8L has plenty of torque (210 lb/ft) and it can scoot the Taurus around pretty good. (I had a '93 Sable w/3.8L for several years).

On the other hand, if the engine is the 3.0L "Vulcan", then I'd consider making more of an investment in the car. Just make sure the tranny you get is a '95+ version of the AX4S, since it will have the newer and stronger design (steel forward drum, not aluminum, for example).

Old 01-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Xwarrior86
More Turbo
The one I've got is a 3.0. It still moves pretty well though. (when the tranny works) And it's got power everything. Woot Woot....

Old 01-14-2005, 03:54 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Hey I just got a free 1993 Taurus GL with only 82K miles! But there's only one snag... The trans isn't shifting. It will go in gear and shift (automatic), but once you stop it wont go back into gear. It's like it sticks in neutral. But if you start and stop the engine enough and kick and scream it will eventually go again. What's up with that? Has anyone ever had this problem or know what causes it? Do Tauruses just suck?
I just asked our top tranny tech, and he said it's most likely the forward clutch is gone. When it warms up, fluid blows right past it because it's aluminum and it cracks. Replacements are steel, and they last a lot longer. A major job to replace it.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:46 PM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rockledge
On the other hand, if the engine is the 3.0L "Vulcan", then I'd consider making more of an investment in the car. Just make sure the tranny you get is a '95+ version of the AX4S, since it will have the newer and stronger design (steel forward drum, not aluminum, for example).
The AX4N (marked AXOD on pan) is the good transmission in the newer (1996+) Taurus's, it is behind (beside?) every Duratech engine and some of the Vulcan engines. The AX4S (AX4S on pan) is the cheapy transmission in the rest of the Vulcan cars - only good for about 100K. Adding a cooler does add to their life though.

In the 95 and older Taurus's there is a "good" transmission behind all the 3.8 engines and a few of the 3.0 engines and a cheap unit behind the rest of the Vulcan engines (not at all familar with SHO trannies). Its my understanding these are basically early noncomputer controlled versions of the AX4N and the AX4S units, their official Ford names are completely differant.

Quick Reply: I got a taurus!