General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Coffee Drinker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 AM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffee Drinker?

My coffee tastes like crap this morning and it made me wonder about the FTE coffee drinkers in here. Do you brew it yourself or buy it at the Wawa? What brand do you brew with? How many cups a day do you drink? Black/sugar/cream? How do you brew it?

I usually buy mine in the morning from the Wawa down the street, but I think I didn't wash my cup out very well last night, and this stuff tastes awful. I like mine black, with a pinch of sugar, but some people make it too rich. The other day my friend made some that could substitute for road tar. I usually try to pick some up at the supermarket where you can grind your own. Then I toss it into a maker that just brews into two or one travel mug. I just got a new one though that plugs in to your car and heats itself up, works great too. And I definitely drink two a day...one in the morning, and one around 2...leaded...the high grade stuff...no decaf .

Bored, tired and curious---jdmorg

Old 01-06-2005, 08:32 AM
horse_trader
Senior User
Madagliadoro anyone? good italian java
Trader joes sumantra blend....fresh cold beans to the grinder to the brewer to the cup.
Maxwell house, and on the road D&Ds

If it tastes good black...it's good.
Little 1/2&1/2 to round it off.

Never sugar.

Now I'm craving for more joe/

Old 01-06-2005, 08:33 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I brew my own every morning, straight into a 20 oz. cup (that way the hot plate of the Mr. Coffee heats the cup up too--stays hot longer). And, I drink it black--very black. So black that you couldn't stir anything into it with a metal spoon... Besides, why would you want to pollute your coffee?

Jason

Old 01-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Old Fart
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starbucks - buy the beans and grind them myself. Change what beans I get occasionally (actually, my girlfriend usually buys the beans for both of us).

Advantage of working for LAX - I can drive across the airfield, and get to any of about 15 Starbucks at the airport!

Makes me wonder how many _other_ vehicles on the AOA are making a coffee run...........

Old 01-06-2005, 09:31 AM
RNE
Senior User
I have tried about every brand/grind available locally. Oddly enough I have come to prefer a ‘house brand’ from one of the discount chains (can you say “Wally World” and “Good Value” children?) 100% Arribica it has good flavor, no bitterness or acidity and isn’t ridiculously overpriced.
I do ‘pollute’ mine, old habit I never broke, from drinking the swill the Navy calls “watch coffee”. That stuff needs a 'Bio-Hazard' warning on it.

But I can’t have more than two cups anymore................. damn Doctors!

Just two cups?

Depends on how big the cup is ....

Old 01-06-2005, 09:37 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, Deju Vu all over again! There was a coffee thread here just a few weeks ago. Anyway, we have a Hamilton Beach Brew Station, and love it. No pot, it brews your coffee and you just push your cup against the dispenser button and it goes right into the cup. Keeps it hot, and it tastes just as fresh two hours later as when it was first brewed, best coffee maker we've ever had. I like mine with hot cocoa mix added to it, along with a few other odds 'n ends, comes out better than any Starbucks or other overpriced foo-foo coffees I've had. I prefer French Vanilla creamer. For the coffee itself, we do the grind-your-own at the supermarket, it's some stuff called "Rio Grande", works fine for me. And I always use a clean cup. -TD

Old 01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
redb1ker
New User
Thumbs up redneck coffee

I use Safeway (grocery) Select. I grind it myself at home. I only grind a couple of days worth at a time so it doesn't dry out, too much. I have a drip unit that I do "cheater" coffee in. I brew 8 cups and drink 4 then for the next couple of days I add a couple of scoops and 8 cups of water. I also have a Starbucks Espresso machine. It makes the BEST hot chocolate. I use any cheap canned powder and throw it in milk (can says water) then I steam it on the Espresso machine. If I cook up a couple of shots and add them to hot chocolate...mmmmmmmm. Regular coffee ALWAYS black. Of couse there is latte', milk is part of the deal. I am getting ready to try some coffee from a brewer nameed Seth from Bisbee Az. I understand that he is very reasonable and he sells fair trade. I will let you know how that goes. Red

Last edited by redb1ker; 01-06-2005 at 09:58 AM. Reason: forgot some text
Old 01-06-2005, 09:59 AM
CJK440
Senior User
Bought one of those Philips Senseo coffee makers. Love it. The convenience is great and the coffee is better than what we brew in the regular old Mr. Coffee.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use pre-ground beans from Dunkin Donuts. I had been grinding my own for a while, but it was never as good as from the store. I learned that the grinder I was using might be burning the beans slightly in the grinding process.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:09 AM
redb1ker
New User
burr grinder

I like burr grinders. They don't tend to burn the coffee. They are about $20 more.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Old Fart
Mountain Pass
Was just going to suggest a burr - IIRC Starbucks still has theirs on sale too.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:26 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,522 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Around here we have a store called "Save A Lot". They may be other places but they sell a brand called "McDanials". I found I like the taste of it better than any of the major brands and it is about $1.00 cheaper.

As for starbucks, I can't see paying as much for a cup as a 2lb can costs!

Old 01-06-2005, 10:44 AM
MontanaFord
Elder User
i've got a little restaurant that i go to to sit and drink coffee after work, usually, and they just do the regular old folgers, i think....tastes good, add some sugar for a sweet tooth.....another restaurant that i frequent serves Boyd's Barista....if they don't keep the coffee urns clean, it starts tasting really really bitter....then it's LOTSA sugar and some creamer.....

MontanaFord

Old 01-06-2005, 11:08 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
I drink one to three cups in the morning and it's black with nothing else in it. We drink Folger's coffee and it does the job of "wiring" me up.
I did find out why Folger's is mountain grown. It seems the Jolly Green Giant wee wee'd in the valley.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:53 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
home: I'm usually on my second pot B4 I roll out the door- stock market opens up awfully early for us left-coasters. Wife likes Millstone, I keep some Starbucks around. Drink it with a little 2% milk in it. Hey- I gave up most of my other bad habits.

office: even out here in Redneck Central, we've got a full service coffee/tea bar going the whole day in both stores. Boyd's Gourmet medallion for the Chebbie crowd, the Ford folks get Breakfast Blend, variety of Bigelow teas, Starbucks is across the street. Is this a great country or what?

Quick Reply: Coffee Drinker?