General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Coffee Drinker?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:12 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordxFour
I forgot to mention in my last response as to the cost per cup of coffee in the Keurig. It's not $10.00 a cup as someone probably told you. The K-Cups average about $0.50 each and will make up to a 9-12oz cup of coffee depending on your strength preference. Still pricey for home brew though. The way I do it probably is around $0.10 a cup, maybe less.
I'm a grocery stocker at a Walmart - I've stocked a LOT of those Keurig cups - I based my "$10 for 6-ounces of coffee" bit off what I see when I stock them - The net weight of the package vs the price tag attached... It varies, but it's usually somewhere around 6 - 7.5 ounces of coffee for anywhere from $9 - $12 a box. I wasn't looking at the per-cup cost as I never did the math LOL.... Of course, some of that cost is the packaging itself...

We also sell the DIY cups for those who refill them and I was wondering how they would work with the 2.0 but, since the machine is hackable, I guess that pretty much explains it...

Looks like we might have a budding home-roaster in the works If you can find one of those poppers, you'll have fun with it...

Old 12-13-2014, 04:13 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Furyus1, What beans would you recommend for a bold but fairly smooth coffee lover?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:16 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Furyus1
I'm a grocery stocker at a Walmart - I've stocked a LOT of those Keurig cups - I based my "$10 for 6-ounces of coffee" bit off what I see when I stock them - The net weight of the package vs the price tag attached... It varies, but it's usually somewhere around 6 - 7.5 ounces of coffee for anywhere from $9 - $12 a box. I wasn't looking at the per-cup cost as I never did the math LOL.... Of course, some of that cost is the packaging itself...

We also sell the DIY cups for those who refill them and I was wondering how they would work with the 2.0 but, since the machine is hackable, I guess that pretty much explains it...

Looks like we might have a budding home-roaster in the works If you can find one of those poppers, you'll have fun with it...
Oh! ok, I see what you are saying.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:35 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordxFour
Furyus1, What beans would you recommend for a bold but fairly smooth coffee lover?
Tastes are subjective so, it would be difficult for me to recommend any one particular bean.

That being said, any of the robusta coffees from Africa would work (there's a peaberry from Tanzania that I really like, for example) - you can also get a smooth and bold flavor profile from the arabica coffees - Guatemala and El Salvador come to mind - a blend of those two coffees presents a nice, drinkable cup of java. Colombian is a favorite with a lot of folks and I've used Colombian in a blend with Nicaraguan coffee to tone it down (strongest and boldest coffee I've ever had the pleasure to drink came from Nicaragua.) Kona is another possibility, but we've had issues getting the Kona beans from our suppliers so, we tend to not carry it.

To get an idea of what beans we carry, here's our website: RayJen Coffee Company Main Page

There are other sites, of course - Sweet Maria's also sells green bean to the home roaster. Shop around until you find what you like.

To give an idea of how complex coffee flavor profiles can be, here's a wheel that helps describe it: https://counterculturecoffee.com/doc...heel_85x11.pdf

Hope this helps.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:47 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Thanks, I'll definitely be trying some of these out. Now just gotta get going on a roaster. Just what I need, yet another hobby...lol.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:52 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
The last four ships that I was stationed on, I got a hold of a few of these: http://www.kclcutsheets.com/PDF/AM/p400-p300.pdf and when combined with an interlocking coffee grinder, it makes a wonderful pot of coffee.

The best store bought commercial beans that I've ever used was an Arabica / columbian blend that came fro SYSCO Foodservices.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:56 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Those are some nice looking machines.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:01 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tseekins
The last four ships that I was stationed on, I got a hold of a few of these: http://www.kclcutsheets.com/PDF/AM/p400-p300.pdf and when combined with an interlocking coffee grinder, it makes a wonderful pot of coffee.

The best store bought commercial beans that I've ever used was an Arabica / columbian blend that came fro SYSCO Foodservices.
This is the new standard for commercial coffee brewers - We just set 3 of these bad boys up for a local golf course - at around $10k each...
Rancilio - Macchine per caffè

Also, Colombian coffee is an arabica. Here's a site that helps explain the difference between arabica and robusta coffees: Coffee Basics: The Difference Between Arabica and Robusta | The Kitchn

Old 12-13-2014, 05:03 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster

This is the new standard for commercial coffee brewers - We just set 3 of these bad boys up for a local golf course - at around $10k each...
Rancilio - Macchine per caffè These things grind the coffee; brews the coffee; then cleans itself - it can be programmed to do just about any kind of coffee drink.

Also, Colombian coffee is an arabica. Here's a site that helps explain the difference between arabica and robusta coffees: Coffee Basics: The Difference Between Arabica and Robusta | The Kitchn

Old 12-13-2014, 05:03 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Rancilio - Macchine per caffè

Very cool machine! I guess I've shown my ignorance in coffee.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster

This is the new standard for commercial expresso machines - We just set 3 of these bad boys up for a local golf course - at around $10k each...
Rancilio - Macchine per caffè These things grind the coffee; brews the coffee; then cleans itself - it can be programmed to do just about any kind of coffee drink.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster

This is the new standard for commercial espresso machines - We just set 3 of these bad boys up for a local golf course - at around $10k each...
Rancilio - Macchine per caffè These things grind the coffee; brews the coffee; then cleans itself - it can be programmed to do just about any kind of coffee/espresso drink.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:07 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Something goofy going on with the post edit function...

Sorry for the repeat posts - it seems I can't delete them...

Old 12-13-2014, 05:10 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Something goofy going on with the post edit function...

Sorry for the repeat posts - it seems I can't delete them...
I just thought maybe you had a few too many cups of coffee this morning...lol.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:14 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Very cool machine! I guess I've shown my ignorance in coffee.
X2, we're sure getting an education this morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coffee Drinker?