Got my locker!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:30 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low,

4.10's go in the REAR END man, not the engine, therefore, it will make your tires spin faster which is why you need limited slip to compensate for the spinnage. Your engine will rev faster yes, but that's because your tires are pushing your truck forward faster than normal.

In other words, 4.10's don't in any way affect your engine at all. The only way your engine will get 'more power' to rev faster is to put aftermarket parts or something like that on the engine itself.

The tires will definately NOT spin slower, otherwise every person out there who gets higher gears wouldn't be paying a couple hundred extra to get limited slip or a Trac Lock.

Were you being sarcastic?

-Joe

Old 01-03-2005, 04:13 PM
A_Fire_InsideR1
Senior User
actually joe he's right.

going up from stock to a 4.10 differential will make the wheels spin slower, but with more torque. guys who get limited slips or lockers because they're putting out more torque. the engine rpms will be higher (in relation to speed).

...ok think about it this way, higher gears in the back mean you're just using higher rpms for a given speed. usually on the freeway i cruise at 70mph at about 2k rpms. if my gearing was higher, my rpms at 70mph would be about 2.3k.

4.10 will make you quicker off the line but cost you at higher speeds.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:34 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
4.10 will make you quicker off the line but cost you at higher speeds.

...which is why you telling me about my engine reving higher isn't making sense. Well, I think it makes a little sense now that you've explained it to me. I've always been told other wise about the tire spinnage...like that they spin faster rather than slower. If you are right then I stand corrected and owe an apology to low for once.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:24 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Its called the Propert of Ones. The colditude is directly proportional to the oneatude. So as you can see, the colder a one is, the more of a one it is. Oh...wait...gears.

Here we go Joe. Your tires spin the same. The gearing in the truck;

Joe..here is a link to "how stuff works", which is an amazing website.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/gear-ratio3.htm

Basically....You owe someone an apology. And that person would be me. For confusing me on the whole topic thing....

Garrett

Old 01-05-2005, 02:01 AM
A_Fire_InsideR1
Senior User
Originally Posted by true4.2
...which is why you telling me about my engine reving higher isn't making sense. Well, I think it makes a little sense now that you've explained it to me. I've always been told other wise about the tire spinnage...like that they spin faster rather than slower. If you are right then I stand corrected and owe an apology to low for once.
well, that statement is probably a little confusing, i meant it'll cost you in gas on the freeway/higher speeds (cause you'll be pushing the gas harder = higher rpms) and your top speed will be reduced.

but you will have more torque at all speeds.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:01 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Basically....You owe someone an apology. And that person would be me. For confusing me on the whole topic thing....
Huh?

I am now thoroughly confused...I owe Garrett an apology because why? I give up man...I got a locker and some gears - Yay! I don't care how they work anymore as long as they freakin work! They all go on tomorrow, and I can't wait anymore, and if you have a problem with it go eat some rotten eggs! j/j

K, I'm better now...confused, but better.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Im just playing devils advocate Joe. (DUH)

Just think of the gears like this:

You get better low end, you sacrifice top end. Get top end, you sacrifice low end. Just a rule of thumb.

Garrett

Old 01-06-2005, 08:38 AM
low
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by true4.2
4.10's go in the REAR END man, not the engine, therefore, it will make your tires spin faster which is why you need limited slip to compensate for the spinnage. Your engine will rev faster yes, but that's because your tires are pushing your truck forward faster than normal.

The tires will definately NOT spin slower, otherwise every person out there who gets higher gears wouldn't be paying a couple hundred extra to get limited slip or a Trac Lock.

Were you being sarcastic?

-Joe
That's funny. You obviously don't know that much about automobiles. lol But apology accepted.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:16 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by low
That's funny. You obviously don't know that much about automobiles. lol But apology accepted.

This coming from a guy who thinks a 4.3 is fast...

You got me on this one, but there are more than a few times in your few posts you've been corrected. You didn't even know what a friggin' equal length header was. Gears are a bit more complicated and seeing how I've NEVER worked at any mechanic shop, I know enough. You are the Ford Master Tech remember? It's about time you got something right.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Touchy touchy. Man...and to think I was going to ask someone to explain the combustion phase.....forget that.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:11 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
and to think I was going to ask someone to explain the combustion phase
Argh, more confusion! No! I can't take it! Gyaaaaaaarrrr!

Ahh, that's better.

The combustion phase has to do with charro beans and chili mixing together after you consume it and then boom...it happens. You get the runs sometimes but hey, that happens to everyone I guess!

Old 01-06-2005, 08:44 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dudes, all this talk about gears got me interested, so i wanted to really look at it and find out what the hell is going on.
I went to that 'how stuff works' site, and it was cool, but not in depth enough.
So i took apart my differential. I was shocked. I don't have gears.
My driveshaft is connected to a rope and pulley system, that spins the wheels. One assembly on each side, so in a way, its like a LSD.

Damn...

Old 01-07-2005, 09:30 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Crap, I wish I had that system...it would have saved me a bunch of money!

Old 01-07-2005, 04:40 PM
A_Fire_InsideR1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4.2manster
dudes, all this talk about gears got me interested, so i wanted to really look at it and find out what the hell is going on.
I went to that 'how stuff works' site, and it was cool, but not in depth enough.
So i took apart my differential. I was shocked. I don't have gears.
My driveshaft is connected to a rope and pulley system, that spins the wheels. One assembly on each side, so in a way, its like a LSD.

Damn...
is this a joke??

Old 01-07-2005, 06:12 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Yes, it's a joke.

(manster, I would have told him it wasn't a joke to keep him going, but I didn't have the heart)

Quick Reply: Got my locker!