Notices

Anti-Theft Door Guards?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 11:41 AM
jal1138
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-Theft Door Guards?

I was on the net awhile back and found a kit that goes on the inside ot the door to prevent the use of a slim-jim to unlock the door. I cannot remember who made it or where I found it. Has anyone seen this and know where I can find it ...again?
Thanks,
Jeffro

Old 12-20-2004, 03:12 PM
kontai69
Senior User
This may be what you are thinking of...
http://www.jimmijammer.com/index.html

IMO, such devices are of little use. Logically thinking, if a thief wanted inside your vehicle but can't "jimmy" their way in due to this device, they could still break the glass to get in. There are widely known methods in which auto glass could easily be broken with minimal impact and noise. I would invest in a real auto security system with a 2-way pager.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:29 PM
vbrookslv
New User
Originally Posted by kontai69
IMO, such devices are of little use. Logically thinking, if a thief wanted inside your vehicle but can't "jimmy" their way in due to this device, they could still break the glass to get in. .
I agree that these are not a replacement for a 2-way alarm, but they still aren't a bad idea. Cops are usually aware of the common break in methods on cars, and will recognize them on the street. A Broken window may be more obvious than a very discreet doorpunch. Picture a guy cruising down the street with his window 'rolled down' in North Dakota, in December! Plus, they will usually have tried to jimmy the lock first, and failed, then broken the window, even more obvious.

Lastly, it just serves as another layer of deterent. If a thief jams the door, only to find one of these, he will know that you likely have other measures in place too, and it might be best to move on to another vehicle. It's for this reason that I would NOT put the 'Jimijammer' stickers on the windows. I WANT them to try that first, instead of skipping ahead to breaking the window.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:23 PM
jal1138
New User
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the quick replies. I agree it is not be the only deterant, more like an "option" or "accessory" for the 2 way alarm.
Thanks again!

Old 12-20-2004, 08:07 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
I got the jimmi jammers on mine but mine had already been broken into. Those plastic handles are real crap, one punch with a screwdriver and it pops open. I agree, if a low life thief wants your stuff, they will find a way. But at least they will have to work extra hard to get mine. I've since added the jimmi jammers, alarm and a few other goodies......

Old 12-25-2004, 08:03 PM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another option is to place a nylon net around the rods inside the door. I noticed these on some cars and it makes it tough for a slim jim to work the rods thru the glass / insulation opening.

Also if you have power door locks, they go in with a rod and push the button. These should have a manual cutoff switch so they don't have power with the car off.

Another thing to do is to put a thin metal strip around the upper part of the doors where the insulation is, this is a common place for a 'reacher' to slide in.

Old 12-25-2004, 08:08 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Originally Posted by karljay
Another option is to place a nylon net around the rods inside the door. I noticed these on some cars and it makes it tough for a slim jim to work the rods thru the glass / insulation opening.

Also if you have power door locks, they go in with a rod and push the button. These should have a manual cutoff switch so they don't have power with the car off.

Another thing to do is to put a thin metal strip around the upper part of the doors where the insulation is, this is a common place for a 'reacher' to slide in.
None of this will work, if the thief punches in the lock cylinder, which is what happened to me. Once the lock cylinder is gone, you can just pull the handle and it opens. The jimmi jammer plate surrounds the lock cylinder and reinforces the plastic handle, so that even if they rip off the handle the metal plate keeps them from accessing the rods. Of couse by this time, they may just break the glass. Nothing works 100%

Old 12-26-2004, 02:00 AM
vbrookslv
New User
Originally Posted by karljay
From 2005 F250/350/450/550 Owners Guide 2nd Printing:

Power Door Lock Disable Feature (if equipped):
The UNLOCK feature on your power door locks will not work from inside the vehicle when:
- The ignition has been turned to the OFF position, and
- 20 seconds elapse after all vehicle doors are closed and locked using the remote entry transmitter, or the power door lock control (while the accompanying door is open).

This sounds like a real smart idea for a feature (I'll be interested to see how this affects an aftermarket alarm that just taps the power lock wire). I can't believe they put all this inside a truck protected by plastic door handles.