6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Trans Adjustment or Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 05:32 AM
JimRietz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Adjustment or Problem?

My '05 CC DWR 2WD PSD started doing something strange just the other day (4500 miles). The trans used to stay in OD all the time when over 45 mph or so - as long as I was easy on the fuel. Two days ago, the trans started shifting out of OD frequently no matter what speed or mode (Tow/Haul on or off). It seems that as soon as I coast for any period, when returning fuel ever so gently, it kicks out of OD and in a few seconds, back into OD.

Is this a potential problem or a just some type of adjustment? I'm on the road Monday for a short trip (actually, my maiden voyage with my trailer), but would be able to get it to the dealer Tuesday.

Happy Holidays!

Jim

Old 12-18-2004, 05:34 PM
JCROMAN
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JimRietz
My '05 CC DWR 2WD PSD started doing something strange just the other day (4500 miles). The trans used to stay in OD all the time when over 45 mph or so - as long as I was easy on the fuel. Two days ago, the trans started shifting out of OD frequently no matter what speed or mode (Tow/Haul on or off). It seems that as soon as I coast for any period, when returning fuel ever so gently, it kicks out of OD and in a few seconds, back into OD.

Is this a potential problem or a just some type of adjustment? I'm on the road Monday for a short trip (actually, my maiden voyage with my trailer), but would be able to get it to the dealer Tuesday.

Happy Holidays!

Jim
its normal its just the way these things work...........

Old 12-18-2004, 10:00 PM
vm225
New User

Happy Holidays!

Jim
It's just the T/C coming out of lockup, not really a downshift. Normal for Torqueshift tranny to do this. It's one of those things you may not even notice unless your watching the tac.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:49 AM
JimRietz
Senior User
Originally Posted by vm225
It's just the T/C coming out of lockup, not really a downshift. Normal for Torqueshift tranny to do this. It's one of those things you may not even notice unless your watching the tac.
I'm a tach watcher... This didn't happen in the first 4500 miles... that's the strange part. While it might be the T/C coming out of lockup, as there's only about a 250-300 rpm change around 2k rpm, I didn't think it would unlock when in Tow/Haul mode.

Happy Holidays!

Jim

Old 12-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't think it would unlock when in Tow/Haul mode.
They will unlock in Tow/Haul. A downshift will give you a larger RPM gain than the unlock.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:29 PM
vm225
New User
They will come out of lockup even with tow/haul on. This was a change for me coming from an 02 auto. The 4R would unlock on a downshift but usually not from just from just a momentary coast. The 5R does this as part of it's programing. I'm sure there is someone on this board who could explain why.
Anywho what you are describing sounds like normal tranny operation for the torqueshift. As soon as you release the throttle and reaply it this t/c will unlock. The point I was trying to make about the tac was that unless you were watching at the moment you reaplied throttle you might miss it. I not sure how many highway miles you drive but thats one of those little quirks that takes a few highway miles to notice. The 6.0 is so much smoother and quiter than 7.3 was that some things I used to feel and hear are less detectable now.

Old 12-20-2004, 08:42 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Also, if you drive steady with constant throttle input and tap the brake with your left foot, the torque converter will unlock and then lock up again when you take your foot off the brake and that doesn't have anything to do with throttle position or engine load.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:04 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by vm225
They will come out of lockup even with tow/haul on. This was a change for me coming from an 02 auto. The 4R would unlock on a downshift but usually not from just from just a momentary coast. The 5R does this as part of it's programing. I'm sure there is someone on this board who could explain why.
Anywho what you are describing sounds like normal tranny operation for the torqueshift. As soon as you release the throttle and reaply it this t/c will unlock. The point I was trying to make about the tac was that unless you were watching at the moment you reaplied throttle you might miss it. I not sure how many highway miles you drive but thats one of those little quirks that takes a few highway miles to notice. The 6.0 is so much smoother and quiter than 7.3 was that some things I used to feel and hear are less detectable now.
WELCOME to the site Allen, please read the Guidelines… Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum.

Be sure to check out the 6.0 Bible…..great reading
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/

…. In the upper right hand corner of your screen check this out PARTS SHOP for all your “trucking” needs

Must read
http://www.clubfte.com/users/monsta/SuperDutyFAQ.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=303583
Enjoy FTE

Old 12-21-2004, 08:04 AM
gonnasellit_temp
Senior User
My early 03 also unlocks when you let off the throttle even the slightest bit. It works really good for towing. When approaching a hill I let off so it will unlock. The rpm increase helps to keep the engine from lugging. These engines like to rev!