6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What truck to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:41 AM
sweet03cobra
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What truck to buy

I'm currently stationed in Baghdad, Iraq and I hopefully will be returning home soon. Before I deployed I sold my Z71 with the intentions of buying a new turbo diesel when I got home. I have a few questions for you all if you would please. I am looking at a 2002 and up. Now I know I want a crew cab 4x4, short box with an auto. With that being said, I don't know which is a more dependable engine and tranny and what would be a good bang for the buck. I emailed the dealer on a 2005 they have in stock and they said I could get it for about 42k? I don't know if I can afford to spend that kind of lute on a truck. I get home sometime in March so I don't know if there will be rebates then or what? I will do about 95% empty highway and town driving and when I do pull it will be a 7k pound setup usally accross country. I have heard that the 03 and under auto trannys are junk, I have heard the the 6.0s have too many problems and I don't know what would be a good price on one of these. Please shed some light on this for me. Thanks

P.S. Why is dodges same truck so much cheaper, almost 10k?

Fred

Old 11-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,545 Likes on 2,176 Posts
First, Welcome to FTE Fred. Let me say Thank You for defending this great country and the sacrifices you have made to do so.

Now, the 7.3L Turbo diesel found in the earlier trucks are a good engine combination with any transmission. Neglect of service or loads and due time will come to any automatic transmission needing rebuilt just as a clutch and pressure plate in a manual transmission.

The newer 6.0L with variable gain turbo. Since the government wants the emissions to meet certain guidelines, a new generation engine had to be introduced. The problems you see listed are common as with any new product launch but personally most of the problems have come from lack of dealer knowledge to diagnose these newer engines. When the technicians due catch up on service bulletins and diagnostics you will see less of the problems posted here.

With that said the 6.0L with programming, are one awesome ride. Read through the articles here and you will see that for the number of trucks out on the market and running, most of have had minor or no problems at all. I came to FTE looking for a way to read codes and program my truck. With that said, a stock truck runs just fine and many owners care to keep them that way.

As to your Dodge question. The Cummins is a well-proven engine, just to bad Chrysler is the only company that offered that option. A test drive will confirm that Ford has done job number one in quality. Before I purchased my last vehicle I test drove a Dodge and was turned off by the assembled in Mexico and quality of the chassis.

Nuff Said, Enjoy reading…..
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...92#post2158292

If you are at Camp Navistar in Kuwait, I have a friend of mine there.

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 11-26-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:54 AM
sweet03cobra
Elder User
thank you for your input. I'm in Baghdad but went through Kuwait to get here. I did get to test drive a 05 before I left and it was awesome. I just don't know if I can bank the 40k to buy it. I sure would like too. Hopefully I can find a used one when I get home or somehow I can get some good rebates. Is it worth the extra money to go from an 04 to an 05? Because I could probably find a used 04 when I get back for the low 30's, what do you think?

Old 11-26-2004, 02:08 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by sweet03cobra
thank you for your input. I'm in Baghdad but went through Kuwait to get here. I did get to test drive a 05 before I left and it was awesome. I just don't know if I can bank the 40k to buy it. I sure would like too. Hopefully I can find a used one when I get home or somehow I can get some good rebates. Is it worth the extra money to go from an 04 to an 05? Because I could probably find a used 04 when I get back for the low 30's, what do you think?
The 05 has coil spring front suspension now, so you have some changes. When you come home a check between rebates, you might just be able to purchase new as to used with in reason. If you want and will not except anything but a CC SB will narrow your market on a used truck.

Old 11-26-2004, 03:17 AM
sweet03cobra
Elder User
Well, my father has a 01 witha supercab and there just isn't enough room back there. I plan on keep this truck a hell of a long time and I want to make sure I get what I will need. Any word on the 03 and under trannys compared to the new 5 speeds?

Old 11-26-2004, 03:26 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Well, my father has a 01 witha supercab and there just isn't enough room back there. I plan on keep this truck a hell of a long time and I want to make sure I get what I will need. Any word on the 03 and under trannys compared to the new 5 speeds?
Both transmissions are good, the new Torq Shift and the 6.0 are a pulling pleasure. You are comparing old to new.

Old 11-26-2004, 03:32 AM
sweet03cobra
Elder User
and gas mileage comparison from the 7.3 to the 6.0?

Old 11-26-2004, 06:04 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm currently stationed in Baghdad, Iraq and I hopefully will be returning home soon. Before I deployed I sold my Z71 with the intentions of buying a new turbo diesel when I got home. I have a few questions for you all if you would please. I am looking at a 2002 and up. Now I know I want a crew cab 4x4, short box with an auto. With that being said, I don't know which is a more dependable engine and tranny and what would be a good bang for the buck. I emailed the dealer on a 2005 they have in stock and they said I could get it for about 42k? I don't know if I can afford to spend that kind of lute on a truck. I get home sometime in March so I don't know if there will be rebates then or what? I will do about 95% empty highway and town driving and when I do pull it will be a 7k pound setup usally accross country. I have heard that the 03 and under auto trannys are junk, I have heard the the 6.0s have too many problems and I don't know what would be a good price on one of these. Please shed some light on this for me. Thanks
P.S. Why is dodges same truck so much cheaper, almost 10k?
Fred
WELCOME to the site, please read the Guidelines… Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum.

Be sure to check out the 6.0 Bible…..great reading
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/

…. In the upper right hand corner of your screen check this out PARTS SHOP for all your “trucking” needs

Must read
http://www.clubfte.com/users/monsta/SuperDutyFAQ.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=303583
Enjoy FTE

Old 11-26-2004, 08:16 AM
sweet03cobra
Elder User
Alright, thanks. Will do.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:40 AM
tinytrixie
Senior User
This is my first diesel and I must say I love it! My help at work had an older diesel & it was very powerful but the 6.0 is incredible. I used to think my wifes suv was very quick but after driving in the 6.0 & getting back in out other truck I thought there was something wrong. Mine is totally stock & a stripper. I have owned all three trucks and the ford has been the best by far. You know that the old saying about Fix Or Repair Daily may be somewhat true when the truck gets 200k miles but the difference is that the dodge and chevy won't come close to the miles w/o major repairs. I drive mine to at least 200k b4 buying new again.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:44 AM
sweet03cobra
Elder User
O.K. Now if I could just figure out how to find a way to get a good deal on a new one.

Old 11-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
and gas mileage comparison from the 7.3 to the 6.0?
Power and fuel economy is where the 7.3 and 6.0 depart each other. Towing or not the 6.0 is great and when faced with grades the torq shift brings in a great advantage.

I had the 7.3 before and it was a good truck, I love the 6.0...

Old 11-26-2004, 10:11 AM
mustanggt5
Freshman User
Talking 7.3 verse 6.0

I am in the army also should be heading your way soon, but for your truck choice, let me tell you some history. I have a neighbor who tows rv 's for a living, this is from his mouth about the diesel trucks, he haD A CHEVY COULDNT TOW IT SELF OUT OF A MUD PUDDLE,(though the durmax is better now) he had a dodge went 382, 000 mile , but 4 transmissions, he now has a 2001 ford 350 with 393,000 miles only thing he has put into it is a water pump, plus normal maitenance. I own a 2004 6.0 350 DRW CC, and love it. Few problems but all fixed by dealer. Moral of story any year any model can have a lemon, but the ford is the best overall value for your money. I have a major who has a 7.3 1999 250 with 100, 000 miles no problems. The 7.3 seems to get better mpg , but i didnt buy the truck for mpg , but for towing my 5th wheel when I retire. Also since you have been over seas you can get the truck at cost if I am not mistaken, through AFFEES. Please check on that. Need your orders etc..

Old 11-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Bushwhacker
Senior User
03 Cobra,

Let me start to by thanking you and all of the other troops who are over there for all the sacrifice's you have made to defend our country. I am behind you guys 100%!

I bought a brand new 04 CC Lariat 4x4 FX4 with the 6.0 liter diesel and 6 speed manual tranny in June. I paid right around $36,000 with rebates etc. before tax title, etc. The old 7.3 is a good motor, but this new 6 liter is awesome. I test drove the torque shift auto and it is a great combo. I wanted the manual and I love it with that diesel too. I would say get a used 04 if you can't afford and 05 when you get back. But you should easily get an 05 for under 40,000 if you work at it. You'll love it either way! Just my opinion.

Old 11-26-2004, 10:48 AM
sweet03cobra
Elder User
I will look into that, thanks for the info and good luck on your way over here. Enjoy the truck while you can I have a 2003 cobra and boy do I miss that!

Quick Reply: What truck to buy