6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Engine Idle Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 05:24 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really glad to hear that it works for you Tuna, glad to help anytime.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by me1mckee
I checked today, my truck does idle up without the parking brake set also. I guess that the park brake being set is only a requirement in manual trans trucks. Mine will not do it in Neutral whether the brake is set or not. Let me know if it's power or ground that the park brake switch sends and I'll tell you the quickest way to make it a requirement.

I tested it a little with a 12 volt tester light last night, and neither wire lit up my light with the brake pressed or released. It is a little pin type switch though, and it sits at the top of the parking brake stop. It is gray colored. I pushed down the park brake, then manually pushed the pin in and out and the "brake" light on the dash woiuld go on and off each time, but I never could figure out how to get 12 volts from it, and i stabbed my hand accidentally with my tester light, and I got paged out to a kitchen fire (I am a lieutenant on a fire squad) so I had to abondon the project for last night. Maybe I'll try again tonight.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:43 PM
swunderle
Junior User
03 psd

hey guys is there a way to raise the idle to 1000 or 1100 on my 03 without the aux idle controler. besides setting a brick on the pedal. trying to save $400

Old 01-24-2005, 07:22 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Only to 1200. Just scroll up and you will find all the directions for adding a simple toggle switch to accomplish this. Good luck. Mat

Old 01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Zoom, it could very well be a ground that it sends to the light that is powered from the ignition switch. Just put the clip end on something hot (ignition post or batt. post in fuse block), then stick the pointy end in the wires and if it lights up, then it's a ground signal. Find the wire that only makes the light shine when the brake is set and you have the switched ground signal. If this is the case, use it for the ground on a 5 prong relay and if you need more help, just ask and I'll give you the wiring directions if you need them. Have fun. Mat

Old 01-24-2005, 07:29 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
OH, just make sure that you are using a VERY good ground if checking for power, there are a few bolts in the right side of the dash above the throttle pedal that are the ground for most of the interior components, put your clip there if you want to absolutely sure there is not 12V+ on the wires, then go for the ground wire test.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:09 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi there Matt... when's the wife due back from Kalifornia ?
maybe u can stop by again and show me that !!!

Old 01-25-2005, 08:59 AM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
Thanks Mat, I was using the metal lower part of the park brake for my ground. It works very good. I tested to make sure I had a good ground by probing the hot wire that I currently have wired to my toggle switch. It lit the tester right up. I haven't fooled with it again yet though. Maybe this weekend I will. I think I am also going to attack installing fifth wheel rails this weekend.

Old 01-25-2005, 04:53 PM
swunderle
Junior User
brake switch

hey guys the brake switch is a ground. you could put a relay in the circuit so that when the parking applys the ground to that relay it completes the circuit and poof up goes your idle. going to wire it up tomorrow. will let you know when Im done, got to procure a relay from the station maint department

Old 01-26-2005, 07:38 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Yep, if it's a ground, that's exactly what I would suggest, very simple addition to require that the park brake is set to operate the throttle.

John, the wife came home last night. I'd be glad to show you the throttle set up. It's soooo simple, and only cost me about 6 bucks, of course I already had the wire ends, wire and crimpers, just had to buy a fancy little light-up switch..... I'll give ya a call. If you're going to be home this weekend PM me with a good time to call. Mat

Old 01-26-2005, 08:32 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any time - bring the wife by too...
just give me a shout to make sure the wife hasn't found a must shopping trip she needs to go on !!!!

Old 01-28-2005, 04:19 PM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by swunderle
hey guys the brake switch is a ground. you could put a relay in the circuit so that when the parking applys the ground to that relay it completes the circuit and poof up goes your idle. going to wire it up tomorrow. will let you know when Im done, got to procure a relay from the station maint department

sounds good, i think I'll do the same, let me know how it goes because 'll probably procrastinate

Old 02-09-2005, 08:59 PM
swunderle
Junior User
only idles up with break on

ok guys sorry it to me so ling to post back. I put the relay in using the parking brake switch as the ground, and it works great. now the high idle only works with the parking break on. if anuone need directions or a pic drop me a line.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:54 AM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by swunderle
ok guys sorry it to me so ling to post back. I put the relay in using the parking brake switch as the ground, and it works great. now the high idle only works with the parking break on. if anuone need directions or a pic drop me a line.
I'd love directions and pics if you don't mind posting them

Old 03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
OverHeight
Tuned
I couldn't find this answer. If I do this wiring, and I flip the switch on before I get out, then in the morning when I do the remote start, will it fire up to 1200 right away? If it does will this be bad for the engine?

Quick Reply: Engine Idle Control