Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

surging between 1100 and 1600

Old 10-18-2004, 06:53 PM
fordrule13
New User
fordrule13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
surging between 1100 and 1600

Just bought a 97 powerstroke, had all new filters put on it, it wants to surge between about 1100 and 1600 rpms under no load while I keep a steady foot on the pedal. It will happen at 10mph or at 30mph after shifting. Have drained filter a few times, it will do it some times and other times Ill have no problem. does not seem to matter how warm or cold the motor is. Going to change filter, but intrested in hearing about TPS or other possibilities or similar experiences. all feedback is appreciated.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Did it run perfect before you changed the filters?

Old 10-21-2004, 10:51 PM
overtime_ranchero
Junior User
overtime_ranchero is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've got what may be the same problem. I do have the check engine soon light with the code 1395 (California truck) which my code reader states " glow plug monitor, bank # 1". I believe that is has something to do with the under valve cover wiring on the passenger side of the engine. I am trying to find some time to change the wiring harnesses under the valve cover. I have changed the CPS and my Vehicle Speed Sensor (in the rear end housing) with no luck. I do not believe that it is the throttle pedal (TPS) as I have checked the sweep with my meter and it looked good, besides it does it with the cruise on. I have had others tell me to have the tranny serviced, but it does it with O/D on or off at the exact same speed. The surge or buck is kind of hit or miss, definately goes away with pressure on the accelerator.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:57 PM
joel(PA)
Freshman User
joel(PA) is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by fordrule13
Just bought a 97 powerstroke, had all new filters put on it, it wants to surge between about 1100 and 1600 rpms under no load while I keep a steady foot on the pedal. It will happen at 10mph or at 30mph after shifting. Have drained filter a few times, it will do it some times and other times Ill have no problem. does not seem to matter how warm or cold the motor is. Going to change filter, but intrested in hearing about TPS or other possibilities or similar experiences. all feedback is appreciated.
I have the same problem.... is there a solution to this, or any other posts on here that are related? I describe it as hesitation, like i am tapping on and off the throttle almost.. very odd behavior, and it seems to do it only when it feels like it. its not always constant. =(

Old 10-22-2004, 07:43 PM
overtime_ranchero
Junior User
overtime_ranchero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Word up, lets keep this thread at the top, someone has to have the answer.
CODE P1395. MY OBDII SCANNER WORKS ON MY PSD!

Old 11-11-2004, 11:18 PM
00SvtLightning
Junior User
00SvtLightning is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by joel(PA)
I have the same problem.... is there a solution to this, or any other posts on here that are related? I describe it as hesitation, like i am tapping on and off the throttle almost.. very odd behavior, and it seems to do it only when it feels like it. its not always constant. =(
I have a 99PSD with the exact same problem, anyone ever figure it out yet?

Old 11-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
My vote is a sticky/dirty IPR valve on your surging problem. Causing pressure spikes in the HPOP gallery and resulting surging. Also carefully check the plugs to the ICP and IPR for corrosion. None allowed. Makes a bad signal.