Sponsored by:

Why is my Bronco so Dusty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 06:22 PM
tombob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Come on guys! With all the great, creative mechanical minds on this forum, someone should be able to figure out a way to defeat the dust.

Do the late-model Broncos ('94-'96) have this problem? Surely they are sealed up better than my old '80 whose body and hardware are about the same quality as a Wal-mart cheese grater?

Old 10-15-2004, 09:43 PM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
I have a 95 bronco, and dust is still a problem. I live with it because I live in a small-ish town. I go offroading quite a bit, and thats where the problem lies. if your roads are paved, then you dont have that problem as much. I go out shooting, hunting, fishing, wheeling almost every weekend and that is why dust is in my truck, you cant stop it, it is what the planet is made of. my dad has an 03 expedition, and a 2000 xterra, both have dust in them. it all depends on where you live and where you go.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:33 PM
ms_michelle
Elder User
Red face

I think it is a common trate of the Broncos to get dust inside. What irks me is when I am four wheeling in the mountains and forget to let the back window all the way up and suddenly when I start choking on dust I think of it. By that time the inside is covered with dust. You can see the ole Bronco on my web site at www.michellesfords.com just go to the bottom of the first page and click on Bronco.

Michelle

Old 02-06-2017, 06:31 AM
bsd4083
New User
Originally Posted by tombob
I have had other vehicles that I have used on dusty country roads and have never had a dust problem to the extent I have in my Bronco. However, it is some odd comfort to know that others are experiencing the same frustration.

I bought on of those huge Rubbermaid storage boxes to keep in the cargo area and I put stuff in there that I don't want to get dusty.
glad to know i am not alone..;; but this is solveable.... my seals are great i live in the country so i fight this fine dust.... FYI FOLKS IT COMES IN ON THE PASSENGER SIDE BELOW THE DASH AND ABOVE THY PASSENGER KICK PANEL...we are looking for a hole, crack, missing firewall seal or the like..even a worn air intake seal on the heat and air system rebuilding this car and pulling the engine will post if i find it... please do the same on this post thanks therin

Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 363 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm down working in Argentina and even with a 3 year old Hilux dust will find a way in especially the fines. Yes Broncos seem to be worse especially after they get a few years and miles on em, normal wear and they just don't fit together as well and there it is.

I suppose you can go through and replace all the weather stripping, door and window seals, adjust all the doors and windows but it's gonna be a moot point unless you do this and there may still be some leakage. You can reduce but it will most likely still leak.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:08 PM
bsd4083
New User
I think I solved this same problem in 1987

Originally Posted by raldo_gtm
You know, I'noticed that I had some dirt coming into the back passenger's side kick panel area. When I was digging around for a possible sub-box, But, I think that I'm going to trun on the Vent on High and use soapy water to locate the leaks.
dust pored out same location. in my 87 XLT . I concluded i was missing a seal or a grommet:
i removed..glove box, passenger kick panel, and fan blower.. this is a 1987 XLT 5.0 700 miles full mechanical rebuild.. the dirt leak was there when i bought the truck with 100K .and . drove it to 166k ! I found my solution after the rebuild. on a shakedown. Here is what i found before..1) i replaced all window seals on doors and tailgate.. good idea no change.. 2) I thought dust was entering around passenger front fender join to fire wall...injected touch & foam numerous passages @fire wall still no change to dust issue. 3) cycled vacuum door and watched through fan blower opening.. discovered when fan was in outside air(vent)mode no dust..( i had reworked the cowling@ the windshield when i replaced the wiper motor.. cleaned out all the ducts; and noted the dust seals below cowling were missing and brittle..i rebuilt this area by using black rubberized sealant around entire perimeter of mating surface, next from wallmart i took a roll of foam door weather proofing pealed off the paper backing and pushed it into my black windshield sealant. then reinstalled cowling..) When i ran the vent now; with my hand atop the cowling vent i could now feel a suction pulling against my hand as the outside air vent operated; and sucked air in....wow big air flow improvement--(way boosted air flow now) on the newly added blower motor and interior-airflow... but Still got some dust when the vent was switched to recirculate mode.. I observed butterfly door movement again with fan blower removed and also observed thru the glove box opening.. I found when in vent position the door moved by vacuum to its outboard position...and no dirt problem... but when set to recirculate door moved inboard and attempted to cover a open 1" square set of grills about a 4x6 dimension.. and dirt leak..plus lots of air blown out below the dash and not out the passenger vents.. SO I SEALED IT AND NO DUST. Here is how--I cut a plastic cover panel for the inside from a wall-mart storage tub lid and fished it thru the glove box cut to fit & sealed down with the stickiest tape i could find; but my air pressure was so high it wanted to blow lose.. So I went inside the fan blower assy thru the opening i created when i removed the fan blower.. and i injected a light layer of the minimal expanding touch & foam across the open grid ....being careful the vent door would seal tight over this grid and move freely back and forth to both locations... and NO DUST. I do notice my air flow in recirculate mode is maybe 1/2 or less than in vent mode.. but now all airflow comes out the proper vents as selected & no air coming from under the dash on your feet... and MOST OF ALL NO DUST. This was my fix and compromise.. and have not found anything better.. please post here and on the fullsizebronco board If you find a better solution I looked for five years Best wishes..