Oil & Lubrication  

Seafoam anybody ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Dunk
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are talking about a carbed engine just get a couple cans of Seafoam a hand sprayer and spray it directly down the carb while the engine is idling. If you are spraying it right you'll need to hold the idle up some to keep it from stalling. Spray about 1/2 can down the carb then release the idle then drown it out with lots of Seafoam. Let it sit 15-20 minutes then restart it. Get ready for some real smoke, but thats the carbon burning out of the combustion chambers and around the rings. I'd do that 4 times with two cans. You'll see less smoke each time, but keep in mind Seafoam will smoke even after the carbon is gone, but not nearly as long.. You'll see less smoke each time. Just make sure you load her up good to let her sit..

Then after that run a can of Seafoam in the engine oil for the last 500 miles of your next oil change. It will clean the engine crankcase and free up any stuck lifters. It cleared up a two dirty lifters in my 88 Bronco when she had 105k on the 351 right after I bought it. I had fresh oil and ran 2 cans for 500 miles then 1 can for another 500 miles. Cleared up the tap's and she's still quite at 147K. I only use it for moving boats around in the backyard for the last 3yrs..

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
IcemanV8
Senior User
I just wanted to say I tried Seafoam for the first time about a week ago in my truck. It has 121,xxx miles I only did it through the intake. Well, through a vacuum hose. I actually didn't get as much smoke as I thought I would. BUT, it did get a decent smoke show. It's just that it didn't last as long as some of the videos I've seen, lol.

The first time I used nearly half a can. And waited about 30 minutes. Then the more I read on how long to wait, the more people said 15 minutes or less is better, because the Seafoam evaporates quick. So, I did it again, waited 15-20 minutes and got twice the smoke. Maybe I should have followed directions and waited only 5 minutes. Oh well, it still got more smoke, and lasted longer for me driving up the road.

I definitely noticed a difference. Sound, responsiveness, and dare I say, more low end power.

So, it was noticeable enough that I got another can for my wife. A 2001 Eclipse with a 2.4 SOHC 4 banger. Around 150,000 miles on it. Did the vacuum line trick twice. Waited 20 minutes on the first one, 15 on the second time. Both times gave a hell of a smoke show. At first, after I had sucked just a little bit of it into the intake, smoke started roaring up from the engine bay. I was like "Oh ****... cut it off cut it off!". But, upon closer inspection, the smoke was coming from an exhaust leak where the manifold bolts into the pipe. It's a damn good exhaust leak finder, lol. Anyways, hers smoked better than my trucks, sent a huge 'fog' across one whole part of our field. Again, definitely noticed better power.

Btw, I have been using 93 octane BP "w/ Invigorate". I try just about every gas station, and always pick the ones that just make my truck run the best. Shell 93 w/ V-Power, Texaco 89/93 with Techron, and BP w/ Invigorate have been my favorite performing fuels in both my ex- 94 Thunderbird 4.6 HO and my current 86 F150 with a 5.0. Point is, I wonder if using such top tier fuels with cleaning agents has slowly, over the last year, cleaned up my valves. I've also used Lucas UCL, but it seems to not be a cleaner as much as it is just a lubricant. Yes, I know my truck is 'tuned' for 87 or whatever. Like I said, I know what runs best. It is truly the difference between making my tires spin when I floor it, or just going when I floor it. I understand compression ratios and octane ratings, but my truck honestly runs better on those fuels I mentioned. Particularly the 93 octane BP in two particular locations near me.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 AM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
Using fuels with higher than the engines prescribed octane, can actually increase the combusion chamber depost load.

Because the engine isn't timed to use the slower burning fuel, it's kinda like running with retarded timing.
The fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens & some of it remains to cause deposits, or gets blown out of the combustion chamber to cause downstream mischief, or some of the unburned fuel ends up in the oil.

In any case the engines compression, valve & ignition timing or computers program, aren't optimized to properly use the higher octane/slower burning fuel, to take full advantage of it's heat generating power/push on the piston.

So using higher than specified octane/slower burning fuel, in an engine not designed to use it, can cause all sorts of mischief over time.

Some high octane thoughts for pondering!!!! lol

Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 AM
IcemanV8
Senior User
These engines run on the lean side, anyways. If it ran worse, I'd see me running too rich. But it seems like just what the doctor ordered for my truck.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
MY_TRUCK_IS_BEAST
Junior User
First off no one hate on me for this post seeing how im going to talk about my non-Ford vehicle: I use Seafoam in my 95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD and man it helps the rough idle known in these cars. Every other oil change I add 1/2 a can of it to my oil to "flush" i guess you could say the internals, as it makes the oil very thin almost milk like. but about every 3 months i put half a can into my gas tank when the low fuel light comes on, and half gets sucked up through the vacuum line on the back of the throttle body, and i always notice a increase in throttle responsiveness and a 1-2 mpg increase. jope it helps, sorry for the length. =)

Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 AM
bigunred
Elder User
Well i like sea foam my self, on a suisuky esteem with 225,000 miles it started usin oil somethin fierce. Anyways we sea foamed it in the oil, a can to an oil change and the rings came un stuck after a day or so of mall crawlin and my sister inlaws car is still goin, up to 315,000 now and no oil usage to speak of. half a quart in 7500 miles. Motor never overhauled and valve cover off for v/a's 3 times. I am sold.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:21 AM
bigunred
Elder User
BTW gettin ready to seafoam my Ex wit 130,000 we'll see what it does for it.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 AM
IcemanV8
Senior User
Follow the directions on the bottle. Wait 5-7 minutes. The longer you wait, the more it evaporates and the less smoke you get. I've tested 30 minutes first. Then 20. Then two days later, I let it wait for 5-7 minutes. Got more smoke than ever.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Dunk
Elder User
Look guy's Seafoam is a light oil. It smokes when it burns. The way Seafoam works is by soaking into carbon making it burnable... So there's a happy medium on how long to let it soak. I recommend three doses. Try different times, but don't base smoke on what it's burning off. It will clean the combustion chambers no matter how you run it thru the engine...

Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
IcemanV8
Senior User
The more smoke you get, the more carbon you are burning. At least that is what Jim Davis told me:

"The car will smoke more with more carbon that is in the engine .The reason you do a hot soak is to allow the sea foam to soak into the carbon to release the gums and varnishes that hold the carbon together.Sea Foam is a pure petroleum blend and has no chemical additives and will not harm your engine and is safe to use as often as you'd like .Thanks for using Sea Foam.

Jim Davis
Sea Foam Sales Co.
Technical Service Manager"

And I get more smoke letting it sit in there for a lesser amount of time. I think it evaporates if you wait too long, and can't do the job as well.

I know I've heard of people doing 24 hour soaks/overnight soaks, but I haven't tried that yet.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 AM
IcemanV8
Senior User
I just went out and did my 4th treatment. It had been 2 days since my last 5-7 minute soak, and I got a ton of smoke. Did it 2 times before that, too, all times getting white smoke.

This time, had the engine extra warm from running the **** out of it, did what I did last time to get the most smoke (waited about 6 minutes), and only got a small amount of blue smoke for about 25-30 seconds.

Guess my engine is clean now, lol. Now for the gas treatment..