Oil & Lubrication  

Seafoam anybody ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 05:46 AM
DOHC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seafoam anybody ?

Geeze I have seen this around for quite sometime but never thought about using it . Never picked up a bottle to read about it because I thought it was for marine engines and storage ....duh I don't know where I got that ?

I've read on a Mustang forum where the guys really like it at the end of a oil change interval for a few hundred miles . They are saying it cleans pretty well .

The price seems right , anyone use it ? if so , good , bad or inbetween ?

Last edited by DOHC; 09-16-2004 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:48 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to use it, but can't find it anymore. I use marvel mystery oil now. They are probably about the same. Anyway, I have always used it in gas for carbed engines. It DID make a difference in how they ran. I just put my first bottle in the oil, so we will see how it does. I think it is good stuff, but don't know about the oil additive part yet.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:49 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll bet there's plenty of seafoam down in alabama right now.

I have used it as a carbon cleaner. Dump it in the carb with the engine running and hot. It seemed to work as advertised. Lots of black smoke and soot out the exhaust, and it seemed to run a little better after treatment.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:33 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are right about that Rusty!!

You can buy SeaFoam at NAPA for about $6 a can.
Or bottle your own at Orange Beach, Alabama.

DOHC, do a search inthe 4.2 forum. Several good threads about it in there.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Steven@nd
Elder User
Had a bad pinging problem with my truck - pretty much only when hot which made it seem like a pre-ignition problem with hot spots in the cylinders. Used Sea-Foam through a vacuum line when hot and had lots of black smoke, soot, and other crud come out the exhaust - has run great since!

Have also used it to help flush out the engine at an oil change every once in a while...

Old 09-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Dunk
Elder User
http://www.seafoamsales.com/ In case you guys wanted the web site.

I've been using it for 10 years to decarbon 2 stroke outboards, nothing works better and quicker.. I used it on my 88 Bronco after I bought it with 105k on it. Deep Creep is the same thing in a spray can. I used DC and sprayed it directly down the plenum air intakes. The secret to using Seafoam is to spray about 1/3-1/2 of a can in while holding the throttle open just engough to keep it running then release the throttle and load the engine till it stalls. Let it sit 10-15 minutes before you start it again. This gives the Seafoam time to soak into the carbon in the combustion chambers. When you restart it the carbon will burn off. I had the neighbors hanging out the doors looking for the fire there was so much smoke coming from the Bronco. Repeat this operation 3 times and I garrantee you'll have barely any smoke after the 3rd time and the engine will be carbon free.

All engines...2 stroke or 4 stroke need decarboned. The newer 2 stroke oils are loaded with carbon inhibitors and more so if you use OEM outboard oils. 60% of the carbon problems come from all the lousy additives in the gasoline these days. So this leaves 4 stroke engines with almost as much of a carbon build up problem as 2 stroke ouitboard engines.

When I bought the Bronco it had a lifter tap which I figured was crap and sludge built up in the engine and lifters. I changed the oil twice in 500 miles with a can of Seafoam in each change and lifter tap gradually went away. By the time I had 1000 miles on the second oil change the engine was quiet. The stuff works...

Seafoam and Marvel Mystery/Rislone oil are completely different things. Seafoam will cut the viscosity of your oil, so it you see a little less oil pressure while you are running it don't worry.

I've never used their Trans Tune, but I've heard it works well..

Old 09-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Nitro375
Junior User
I have used it too, it really is great stuff. Years ago I was a counterman at a Napa store and this guy came in selling seafoam, we had never heard of it soo he offered to show us on one of our trucks, what a cloud of smoke!!!....but the high mileage explorer we did it too ran much smother. What the salesman told us was old man Evinrude came up with the stuff to decarbonize outboards, it seems the additives in the old days were very messy and lead did'nt help any either, anyway peridocally you would have to pull the heads and clean out all the gunk. He created seafoam to alleviate that kind of expensive repair. I have also used it to clean out Diesel injector pumps and put it in the tank too. The darn stuff just works. Oh and for you shooters out there, it is great [especially Deep Creep in the spray can] for cleaning the carbon out of the gas system of an M1 Garand or M14.

Old 09-18-2004, 08:29 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Good info Nitro. One question though, how exactly do you get the stuff into the intake on an explorer?

Old 09-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Per Seafoams MSDS, it is :

Pale Oil- 40-60%
Naptha- 25-35%
Iso-alcohol- 10-20%

You can make this yourself at home. A straight weight non-detergent oil like a 20w or 30w, mixed with naptha, and then add isopropyl alcohol. If you are going to consider making this, make sure that the alcohol is 91% pure as some of it available is 30% water. It will not mix and the results are an unusable mess. Personally, I wouldn't put it the oil. Thru the carb for a carbon remover-yes, in the oil-no.

Old 09-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Nitro375
Junior User
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
Good info Nitro. One question though, how exactly do you get the stuff into the intake on an explorer?

Well what we did was use the vacum line to the brake booster, pull it,put it in the can and fire it up, in a few seconds it just sucks it up. Done this too several fuel injected vehicles, works good.

Old 09-19-2004, 12:00 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Wouldn't this just dump it into a few cylinders toward the back? I do have an unused vacuum port, I may run a line to it along with a funnel so I can run the stuff in.

Old 09-19-2004, 07:25 PM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
Wouldn't this just dump it into a few cylinders toward the back?
That’s what I always assumed would happen. Does anyone know for sure??

Old 09-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
SEAFOAM is one of those rare products I have NEVER heard anyone complain about to any degree whatsoever. (Usually, somebody will find something to complain about regarding almost anything!)

I have known folks who use it in marine engines, stationary engines, generators (both gas and diesel), show cars, mid-range diesels, and gasoline engines of all sizes and purposes. This does include small fractional HP engines.

Everybody brags about it like you wouldn't believe.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Chippa
Junior User
Would I have to change my plugs after I use Sea-foam to de-carbon my engine and clean my injectors???

Old 09-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
It is my considered opinion that one should always change plugs after using a decarbonizing agent. Fuel injection cleaning compounds will, though, often clean plugs to some degree. As I understand the information about them--including, in part, MSDS--it is due to the chemical compounds used in each of the products.

When Ford sold a "combustion chamber cleaner" in an aerosol can, they advised on the can to change the plugs after usage.

Quick Reply: Seafoam anybody ?