Oil & Lubrication  

Seafoam anybody ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 06:37 AM
JohnAW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loan Ranger
SEAFOAM is one of those rare products I have NEVER heard anyone complain about to any degree whatsoever. (Usually, somebody will find something to complain about regarding almost anything!)

I have known folks who use it in marine engines, stationary engines, generators (both gas and diesel), show cars, mid-range diesels, and gasoline engines of all sizes and purposes. This does include small fractional HP engines.

Everybody brags about it like you wouldn't believe.
I would like to hear more on this, before I use it.

I am not saying that it is not a good product, I just want more input on it.

Iwould like to clean my engine out, and keep it clean.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seafoam is a pour-in product suitable for addition to fuel or oil. I have always been wary of "miracles in a bottle." However, I know many folks who have used Seafoam on marine engines, motorcycle engines, car and light truck engines, tractor engines, and medium duty truck engines. There are a couple of people here who operate landscaping businesses and they use it in their fractional horsepower engines as well.
Each of them are really pleased with it.

I know it works well as a fuel additive. It cleans a system really well. It will clean a carb if you pour it slowly down the throat.

It should, of course, clean oil passages quite well, due to its chemical content. But I can't help but be apprehensive about pouring something that strong as a cleaning compound into an oil pan. In all honesty, I know several people who have done so and were really pleased with the results. Perhaps it is just me; I am unsure about adding it to engine oil.

Old 09-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Loan Ranger
Perhaps it is just me; I am unsure about adding it to engine oil.
I'm a bit weary of putting ANYTHING in my oil...i'm with you there.

Old 10-03-2004, 06:10 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash
Per Seafoams MSDS, it is :

Pale Oil- 40-60%
Naptha- 25-35%
Iso-alcohol- 10-20%

You can make this yourself at home. A straight weight non-detergent oil like a 20w or 30w, mixed with naptha, and then add isopropyl alcohol. If you are going to consider making this, make sure that the alcohol is 91% pure as some of it available is 30% water. It will not mix and the results are an unusable mess. Personally, I wouldn't put it the oil. Thru the carb for a carbon remover-yes, in the oil-no.
I know that a lot of people swear by Seafoam, but this recipe is nearly identical to about a dozen other similar products. Most all use a light oil cut with a solvent such as naptha or stoddard solvent. Sometimes adding alcohol, xylene or toulene.

I really can't see how Seafoam could work any better than any of these other products.

Old 10-03-2004, 06:31 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
My NAPA counterman was my first introduction to Seafoam. I bought a 67Chevy Stepside that had been sitting under a tree and not run in 12 years. I was discussing what all he thought I should do on my first try to fire it up. It had the original 283. Drained the oil (very thick and gunky), changed the filter (had the insert type, not spin-on), replaced a missing plug wire, disconnected the fuel tank line and replaced with a temporay 2 gal. gas jug tied to the fender well. Put 5-30W in the crankcase and Seafoam. Put a new battery in, gave it a squirt of gas in the carb, abd the puppy fired up! Ran a bit ragged for a few moments, then settled down as I set it at a fast idle. Poured Seafoam slowly down the carb while goosing the throttle. Tons of smoke and crud, but each time I started that truck up over the next few weeks it ran smoother and smoother. Originally it burnt tons of oil, but by time I sold it, it really ran like a top! No more smoke and smooth and quiet. Never did drive that one on the road..should have kept it, but I was doing my 63 F100 (see gallery).

Old 10-03-2004, 06:46 AM
DOHC
Senior User
I think a little common sense when using any cleaner goes along way .

Some will tell you Berryman B-12 is a bad thing for engines , 25 years later I still beg to differ The stuff works great to help keep a already clean engine clean . Filthy engines deserve a more cautious approach with possibly the Gunk Flush , Napa Flush and similar types using 1/4 cans initially with short oil changes after then increasing dose as needed .

I witnessed once a 302 Ford engine that as so gunked up , the oil light came on after a mere oil change . We poured a gallon of gas in that baby , drained after 20 seconds and redue . About 5 oil changes later it was much better as in the oil light was out and the engine clicking " what it was brought in for originaly " was gone .

Old 10-23-2004, 05:44 PM
natewill
Senior User
seafoam last week

I ran the stuff through the brake vacuum hose on my 5.0 F250 last week. Didn't see or hear too much of a difference afterward, but at 111K miles, I think the engine has been taken care of well, and maybe the intake, etc wasnt very gunked up. But it was superfun to do.
I also put some in the gas tank, and some in the crankcase. But I changed my oil today, so the Seafoam was only in the crankcase for about a hundred miles or so.
Will I use it again? I don't know. The engine really didn't have any problems to speak of beforehand, other than a high idle, but I think that is EGR-related. I probably will, just because it is so fun to use.

Old 10-23-2004, 08:30 PM
F150'89
Senior User
AutoZone now stocks Seafoam, I used some on my '82 Buick Regal 3.8 2bbl. I used the PCV hose to suck it in to the engine and the engine idles better now.

Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Good Stuff!

Love Seafoam. Have used it for years.

As a fuel stabilizer I always use it in seasonal equipment, stuff that will sit for almost a year between uses. Dump in a can or two, depending on tank size, fill it up and run the motor long enough to make sure the treated fuel is in the whole system. Never had a problem. To counteract the crummy "dry" gas we get nowdays I usually add 2 oz. of Marvel to every 5 gal can before I fill it for small engine use.

As a fuel system cleaner/de-gunker I've used it to remove varnish deposits (a shot to a tankful) on small engines that would hardly run when I bought them. Had a fi TBird V8 that would start running like crap until I fed it a can in a tank of fuel ... smoothed right out!

Unlike Stabil, you can't "over treat" with Seafoam.

Very impressed with the Deep Creep. I ran an agricultural equipment shop located on a main highway and was constantly harassed by chemical salesmen ... if they weren't selling chemicals it was welding rod or cheap lifts, hoists, engine stands etc. The chem peddlers always wanted to sell me a case of their "fabulously effective" penetrant. I developed the line that if it was that good that they would give me a free can to try and if it really was that good I would buy a case. I would work'em pretty hard and usually ended up with a sample.

Had lots! of chance to test penetrants and found two pretty good ones over the years; one called Brute Magic Oil and another called Mechanic's Choice. I think the Deep Creep is in the same class, probably in between the two for effectiveness.

I've also heard good stuff about their Tranny Tune but haven't tried it myself.

Last edited by ClydeSDale; 11-12-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:58 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did another Seafoam treatment this morning. I have 148,500 miles on my 4.2 and have done Seafoam 2 or 3 times in the past. Most recent was about 20-25,000 miles ago.
I have recently noticed a little "roughness" while the engine was at idle. I had about a 1/3 of a can of Seafoam so I gave it a shot. Just for grins, I added a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to the Seafoam can.
After creating a mushroom cloud in my own backyard , the truck idles noticeably smoother.
I do not use the brake boost vac line. I disconnect a vac line that goes from directly after the throttle body, up to the EVAP manifold on the firewall. By using this line to ingest the Seafoam, I am sure all cylinders are getting their fair share. (Not sure if other engines have a same/similar vac line.)
I added the Seafoam pretty slowly while holding a fast ilde. When I had a few ounces left, I poured it all quickly and shut the motor off for 10-12 mins. I then started it up to create my mushroom cloud.

You know, Seafoam might not be "special" - any more so than Berrymans or similar products, but having used it every 20-25,000 miles for the last year or os, I am pleased with it.
For 148,500 miles my engine sure runs smooootthhhh.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:07 AM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
I've used the SeaFoam Trans Tune in my 94 Taurus power steering pump to clean it & the rack up inside. Had a problem with the rack wanting to "stick" sometimes. I added half a can of Trans Tune, ran it about a thousand miles, drained & flushed the system with new fluid & added the other half can & ran it about 500 more miles & flushed the system again with new tranny fluid. It's been 2.5 years now & all is well, the pump is quieter, rack doesn't stick & no leaks, so it didn't hurt the seals. Worked for me!!! Have also tried it in the Taurus tranny for rough shifting, which turned out to be a acting up speed sensor. The Trans Tune did make a slight, but noticeable difference, in smoothing the down shifting. We've had folks over on the MotorWeek forum make good use of it in their engines, trannys & power steering systems. I too havn't heard anyone fuss about it doing harm, though I don't know about usng it in the crankcase lube & doing any hard or fast driving, I don't like to play chemist with my crankcase lube. Don't have a problem using it on the top end to decarbon things though.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Floridaboy
Freshman User
Are you supposed to run this product only while idling or can you add it and then drive the truck around?

Old 08-22-2005, 11:52 AM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
Well depends on what you are wanting to accomplish & how quickly.

I was talking about the tranny & power stearing product above, but the engine version can be added to a tank of gas & does it's thing while you drive.

Adding it through a intake vacuum line can be done, if carbon buildup & pnging is a problem you feel needs immediate action.

However one should be very careful not to add too much too quickly, when adding it through a vacuum line, so as NOT to hydrolock the engine & bend something up.

Also adding it quickly through the intake side, may load up the plugs & get some in the oil, so you might want to wait until you need a plug & oil change to dose it that way.

I prefer to do it through the gas tank, as it can tidy things up, from the tank, pump, intake side & combustion chamber, SLOWLY, like the deposits form.

I don't like to do shock treatments, unless it's absolutely necessary & now days with the additives we have available to deal with deposits, it's usualy not needed IMHO.

So what were you of a mind to do with the SeaFoam????

Last edited by pawpaw; 08-22-2005 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling correcton
Old 08-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do believe that you add it while the truck is idling, and then kill the truck as soon as you add the last of the Seafoam, give it a few minutes to sit (up to 15) and then start it up to let the engine burp out the seafoam.

The folks I'm staying with this week have an old 87-91 F150 with a 302 that they say has a bad blowby problem or something similar. Said the motor only has a touch over 90k on it which I can't believe. My thought was to have the motor oil changed to a HDDO 15W40 like Mystik and then put in 1/4 of a can of Seafoam into the crank case, 1/4 of a can into the gas tank, and then use the remaining half of the Seafoam to give it two shots through the intake, and then let them run the F150 around to get some miles on the Seafoam and 15W40.

Does that sound good, or would anybody have any other recommendations?

I still plan to Seafoam my truck someday...but at 85K miles I don't think my Flareside really needs it yet. Does have the occasional slightest of stumbles at idle though...

Old 08-22-2005, 12:32 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
I've used it in my old 4.9l and my 5.4l with great results, smooths out the idle. Tryed it in the oil once just before an oil change, very dramatic results, oil came out black when it usually is a dark gold. Very scary stuff to me in the oil, but as a cumbustion chamber cleaner and fuel system cleaner, no problems there.

Quick Reply: Seafoam anybody ?