going to disney

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 02:23 PM
gburkett
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to disney

Hey everyone, usually hang out on the diesel forum but now I need some advice on towing my fiver. Here's the deal, my family and I are taking a christmas vacation to Disneyland this Dec. The problem is...I can't help but think of the traffic around there. I pull a 32' fifth wheel with my 01 crew cab long box F350. It is around 55' in length wich makes me somewhat nervous to pull in heavy traffic. Since I haven't been there before I am wondering if anyone has been and can tell me what to expect on the traffic situation. Also if there is any good campgrounds around there? We have looked into just getting a hotel for the week but with six of us and the food along with everything else we are thinking this would be way cheaper. Any advice will be most appreciated.

Gene

Old 07-25-2004, 02:53 PM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree it would be alot cheaper that way. Traffic isn't fun anywhere around Disneyland with a big rig like that. I would look for a campground off the 91 somewhere before you get into Anaheim, if you're comming in on the 15 from Nevada. There's the Cleveland Nat'l Forest area and a couple lakes around there, south of the 91 off the 241 and there's Chino Hills State Park north of the 91, about 20-40 miles from Disneyland.

Might want to check out the state parks and rec website for locations of camping spots or check one of the camping/trailer magazines for websites to different nat'l campground chains, like KOA to see where theirs are around there.

Old 07-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you planning on unhooking the 5er after you park it, and using the 350 to get around in? If you are, I was thinking maybe getting a rental car/SUV would be easier ('course it would have to be big enough for 6). SoCal's right, the traffic around there is brutal. Have fun on your trip!!!

Steve

Old 07-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the 5er, it'll save you a ton o' money. and believe me after a trip to Disney you will be glad you saved a few ducketts. Go to rv.net and sign up for the rv traveller. It will give you all kinds of info on parks etc. Plus it is nice to come home to your own place instead of a hotel.

Fire rooster

Old 07-26-2004, 02:08 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Check for urban campsites like KOA runs. This one is 30 miles from Disney:
Los Angles/Pomona/Fairplex KOA.
There are probably a few others too, but that's the first that came to mind.

Also, since you will probably be taking in Knott's Berry Farm too, you may consider this: Visit Knott's after Disneyland. Knott's is a lot less stressful and more relaxing. It's more of a park-like atmosphere with shady trees and more places to sit. (Not that the kid's will allow that, LOL!)

I highly recommend the old fashined chicken dinner at Mrs. Knott's Restuarant. From my experience, the best time to get a seat in the diner without having to wait is between 3-4 pm. If you wait 'til 5 there will be a huge dinner rush. Then with an early dinner under your belt, you can return to the park for more activity. It seems like the park is less crowded around dinner time anyway. Be sure and get your hands stamped before going out to dinner, because Mrs. Knott's is just outside the park on the city street.

Also I recommend taking the 5 all the way to Disneyland. I try to avoid the 405 if possible.

Have fun in SoCal!

Old 07-26-2004, 07:14 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Last time we went there we stayed at the campground inside the park. Fort Wilderness is what its called. Parked the truck and 5ver and never moved it for 5 days. Just jump on the buses and tram and you can go anywhere in the park at no charge no traffic just fun. Outside the park there are campgrounds everywere but the traffic is a pain and so is the parking. If you go make reservations soon. We are going again in 2005 and we will be staying inside of the park.