Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for used Ex. Found one in MN, rust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:01 PM
BigRedSD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for used Ex. Found one in MN, rust?

I am currently on the hunt for a 2002-2003 Excursion. I found a Limited that I like, but the unit is in Minnesota. I would have it shipped to California, but I don't know what to look for as far as rust. The particular truck in question is a 2003 with 24,000 (V10 4X4). Since I am shopping long distance, I have asked for plenty of pictures via email. Should I request a shot of the undercarriage? If so, what should I look for. The sales rep (it is on a Ford lot) says the unit shows no signs of rust on the metal. The undercarriage shows 'normal rust'. Can anyone assist me on what to look for and what to stay away from? I know rust is inevitable, I even have some on my superduty. Any advice would be appreciated!

Scott

Old 07-13-2004, 10:28 PM
rikosintie
Senior User
Scott;
I live in the Ontario, California area and bought an '02 X from Utah. Being from the desert I'm not used to any rust so I was a bit upset looking at the aluminum parts (obviously not iron oxide, it's aluminum oxide) in the engine compartment and the rust on all the cast iron parts like the steering box and undercarriage. Most of it was pretty light and cleaned up with some elbow grease.

I just finished an oil change a few minutes ago. I put the truck up on four ramps so I have good access underneath to grease things, check diff levels, etc. and the rust on the knuckles and other parts is far more advanced than on my '96 Dodge Ram. There isn't any rust on the body parts.

I'll never buy a car from out of state again.
Michael

Old 07-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I picked mine up in Chicago last January. The only rust that I've noticed is on the drive shafts, but only on the surface.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:05 PM
spartan
Senior User
Depends on the owner and washing. I've seen trucks from up north with "normal" rust and others that were never washed underneath and I would not touch. Ask for photos.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:37 PM
rikosintie
Senior User
The rust on mine is definitely surface, only on unpainted parts and the aluminum corrosion is doesn't propagate but compared to my California only Dogde that is 8 years old it looks "Bad"!
Michael

Old 07-15-2004, 05:18 PM
nanuke1
Senior User
BigRedSD - I live in MN and own a 2003 X with 45,000 miles on it. Yes, I spend all of my time driving and have been in more road salt than most 2003 X's. As of this time I have absolutely no problems except for the chips on my front bumper have started rusting. Otherwise the paint is flawless. I do wash my truck at least weekly in the winter and always park it outside. Good Luck!

Old 07-16-2004, 10:03 AM
jeb
Elder User
It's really not a worry anymore. I also live in MN and it's more and more unusual to see a rusty car, especially a newer truck by the big 3. A few years ago, the big 3 went through a "we have more galvanized steel than the other guys" marketing war, which was great for us rust belters. For sure ford and GM now have all galavanized steel in all body panels except the roof and hood. Not sure about Dodge.

So unless the truck had a deep scratch that was not taken care of and then exposed to salt, you will have no issues. The 03 Lmtd I'm driving has very good factory undercoating, too, which I assume all do. Mine is showing zero signs of rust after 10 months and 15k miles.

Where in MN is it? If it's close, maybe I could take a peek at it for you.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:49 AM
xr7390GT
Junior User
Why buy from MN? Seems like alot of X's in Calif. It's too new to worry about rust. I have a 2000 in MI where we get more snow plus salt and sand on the roads, still no problems with rust.

Old 07-16-2004, 05:34 PM
spartan
Senior User
Ton of Excursions herre in TN with no rust.