6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Harpoon The Tank?

Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Mark _G
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will understand when you start to take it apart.

The fill line and the vent line are right next to each other going into the back top of the tank.

After dropping it down and removing the fuel lines/sender you'll be able to reach inside the tank and cut them with a pvc tubing cutter, at least that's what I used.

I didn't drain the tank when it was down on the ground, and I had my wife help me stabililize it when I put it back in.

I bought a strap wrench from Autozone which was a little too small but I made it work anyway.

I used one jack instead of two, but used some wood nailed/screwed together to stabilize the tank on.

Mark

Old 09-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Mark _G
Senior User

Oh yeah.

I cut both lines: I cut 3.5" or so from the 1" blue vent line, and maybe 3" from the 1.5+" gray fill line.

I also had the same problem as someone else did getting the large plastic ring to start threading. The one that holds the sending unit/fuel lines down.I had to tap it down on one side in order to get it to start. My wife gave me a hand here also.

Mark

Old 09-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Mark _G
Senior User

Maybe it was a little less than that (what I cut off). I saved the pieces and will measure them tomorrow and report back.

Mark

Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a square cut 0-ring that goes between the tank and the aluminum fuel lines/sender assembly. I had to keep stretching mine as it was shrinking and coming out of the grove in the top of the tank. I think what happens is that when you hold the aluminum circular assy down against the o-ring one of the tubes that exits at a right angle keeps you from getting the large threaded ring on top of the tank square to the threads which is why it is hard to start. Anyway, it is much easier if you have someone to hold the circular assy against the 0-ring (BTW, it has a locating tab) while the second party does the ring tightening.

I think the tubes were yellow in the 04; they were blue in the 06.

It is also very easy to have the small vent hoses (which have no clamps) slip off of the barbs of the check valves when you are raising the tank back up; so keep a check out as you raise the tank back up.

I put a large plastic bag over the fuel pickup and sender unit while it was out of the tank and I was cutting the tubes. I only cut the vent tube in my 04; I cut both vent and fill in the 06. I can't tell that it made any difference.

Bob

Old 09-14-2006, 08:18 AM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Put the plastic ring in hot water before installing sending unit and it will screw right on.$14.00 for a new one if it breaks putting it back on . Be very carefull it breaks easily.I know .

Old 09-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow Got Er done . . .

Did it today and will fill later tonight. Hopefully will pickup the additional 4 to 5 gal's like the others. Messy but easy mod. Thks!

I would suggest modifing the Tech file steps to include "Mark the ring"
before you remove it so you know how tight you have to make it when you reinstall the ring.

I didn't have any issues with getting the ring started but I wanted to make sure it was as tight a when I started so I marked it so I knew it was at least at the same position as when I started unlike one of the earlier threads taking about leaking and having to redrop the tank to retighten.

Last edited by Lonewolftx; 09-17-2006 at 03:50 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-17-2006, 04:45 PM
mrc59
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea. When you're trying to get that large ring fixed to that large hole, under the truck no less, knowing when she's tight is a real bonus.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Mark _G
Senior User

I finally measured the vent and fill lines that I cut off:

approx 3 5/8" off the blue vent line

approx 2 11/16" off the gray fill line

Mark

Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow More info . . .

Would also add if you have a Fx4 & 20" wheels (like I do ) there is no need to remove the left rear tire as there is plenty of clearance to slide the tank out from under the truck.

I cut off 3.5" from the blue vent tube ('06 color) and 3.75" from the gray filler tube. It was all I was able to reach & cut with the PVC cutter I got from ACE hardware for $12.00.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow Off and running . . .

Well I filled up the tank and it took 27.857 gallons. Couldn't tell you how many were in there but guessing at 5 or so maybe. When it filled up it did do it fast and I even overfilled, it as it diesel from the filler neck, bummer.

Interesting thing is the computer miles to empty showed about the same number of miles, 475, with the fuller tank. Maybe it takes a fillup or two to show further distance? Guess we'll see . . .

Old 01-16-2007, 07:09 AM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
and not 1 single pic

Old 05-02-2007, 06:40 AM
sacu
Junior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BAJA_SD
Did the job today in just under an hour; of course I cheated, I lifted the bed off with a cherry picker (engine hoist) and didn’t have to drop the tank. Eight bed bolts, three filler neck screws and two wire harness connectors and it was done. I’d recommend this method!
I agree, 2 hours by myself. Worked like a charm.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:06 PM
dayooper
Senior User
you guys have any issues with he sending unit saying there wasn't the correct amount of fuel in the tank I was on E prior to doing the mod and when complete said i had 1/2 tank I was very careful when i removed the sending unit. I installed every thing corectly I double checked all my work. but when i filled it it went back up to F. when I filled it clicked off about 1.4 gallons from the top guess thats better than 4.4

Old 07-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Lightbulb

The sending nit may have hung up on its' own wiring. Some have found that the float can get caugh on the wiring and give a false reading. Just a thought. Run a few tankfuls to see if it settles in.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:21 AM
mrc59
Tuned

I agree with Lonewolftx. You had little fuel, and after the 'poon you had 1/2 tank. Seems the unit got caught and is higher than it should be. Perhaps it will dislodge on its on. Can you loosen the unit without dropping the tank and jiggle to free (if that's what's wrong)? Perhaps it will free up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harpoon The Tank?