6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Harpoon The Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 PM
dapgar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck is so new, that i haven't filled it up yet, but are people still doing this mods to the 2006s? i know with my 97 that i just put the nozzle on the first little click when fueling hands free, it never foams up or shoots out the top when full. i always pump my own, even though in NJ, they say we aren't allowed to. whenever i allow someone else at the stations to pump it, it ends up spraying all of the side of my truck, because they had the nozzle on full bore, the last click on the handsfree lever. i don't mind waiting a little while longer, doesn't take that long to fill up.

i'd rather not go cutting into any vent tubes on the fuel tank. ill see what happens after the first fill up. still got 3/4 of a tank. from when the dealer filled it up.

another thing, why are you guys filling your trucks up to the top of the neck, no reason to have it that full. you aren't gaining that much and if it's hot out, you can end up with spillage. when the needles reads past the F, it's full. i've never filled any vehicle to the top of the neck.

Last edited by dapgar; 09-08-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The factory 29 gallon tank can be filled relatively quickly to 32 gallons after harpooning. Also, Diesel does not expand nearly as much as gasoline when heated so it won't 'boil over' unless someone fills it up to the neck. I never filled mine to the neck with the stock tank or with the TransferFlow 46 gallon tank.
I guess it's just a matter of wanting it really full, at 11 instead of 10.
Spinal Tap

Old 09-08-2006, 10:06 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dapgar
another thing, why are you guys filling your trucks up to the top of the neck, no reason to have it that full. you aren't gaining that much and if it's hot out, you can end up with spillage. when the needles reads past the F, it's full. i've never filled any vehicle to the top of the neck.
For accurate, manual, MPG calculation.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-08-2006, 10:09 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put 33.13 gallons in my 04 after I harpooned it. Prior to that I could always add 5 to 5.5 gallons after the pump clicked off when filling to the brim. Took a while though. 5 additional gallons is just that much further down the road I can go before needing to fill it up again. By filling to the brim I know my calculated fuel mileage is accurate.

The 06 got harpooned as soon as the dealer filled tank got low enough; so it was done before I filled it for the first time.

Typically with the harpooned tank I can add an additional .5 to .8 gallons once it initially clicks off in pretty short order when filling to the brim.

I have been filling my diesel trucks to the brim since 1995 and have yet to have a problem with fuel expansion causing a problem.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:17 PM
dapgar
Senior User
the reason why it clicks off early is because you have the nozzled fully opened and the diesel is foaming way too much inside, like i said above, put the fuel in slower and you get a full tank everytime.

as far as accurate mpg go. i think you get a pretty good idea of just letting it stop when it's full and calculating your mpg off that.
i mean, how often are you guys checking mpg. i just get in and drive. and know roughly what i'm getting as far as mpg. don't need it to be a science. jmo.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:32 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just answering your question. Not debating the merits either way.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:10 PM
dapgar
Senior User
no worries.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Mark _G
Senior User

Thanks for all the tips.

I harpooned my tank yesterday and it filled up so much easier.

My vent line in my '06 is light blue, by the way, just in case someone else is wondering if they cut the right line (like I was).

I just wish I hadn't waited over 12500 miles to do it!

Mark

Old 09-12-2006, 06:19 PM
albran
Senior User
thought about doing this but
with diesel pushing $3.00 a gal. a lot of the hole in the wall places i buy won't let me fill it up, $75.00 limit on pay @ the pump, 1 conoco has a $50 limit

Old 09-12-2006, 07:31 PM
dapgar
Senior User
i hate those limit places. i won't even go to them.

i understand what you guys are doing with harpooning but how does that make it so it won't foam up? if the pump is pumping on full throttle, it's going to foam. yes, it might fill up faster, but how do you know it's not foam in there anyways, making the pump shut off? i'm in NJ and we have those clicks on the nozzles where you can walk away from the truck if you want. do other states have them? i know some places take the clicks off so you have to hold it. then it's harder to regulate how fast it's going in.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dapgar
.........i understand what you guys are doing with harpooning but how does that make it so it won't foam up? if the pump is pumping on full throttle, it's going to foam. yes, it might fill up faster, but how do you know it's not foam in there anyways, making the pump shut off? i'm in NJ and we have those clicks on the nozzles where you can walk away from the truck if you want. do other states have them? i know some places take the clicks off so you have to hold it. then it's harder to regulate how fast it's going in.
It isn't the foam that shuts it off early. The filler tube extends into the tank a few inches; likewise the vent tube extends into the tank a few inches. The tank is also higher at this location creating an air space. When the fuel level is high enough to cover the openings in both the filler tube and the vent tube, basically the high fuel level chokes off the exit of the existing air in the tank that is being displaced as you fill the tank; this causes the incoming fuel flow to back up and usually the pump handle clicks off. When you cut the vent tube you can utilize the air space designed for the gasoline vehicles which share the same tank. The gasoline vehicles need the air space as part of the evaporative emissions system.

It may be the foam that slows my last .5 to .8 gallons down when filling to the brim on my harpooned tank but that is a minor difference compared to the additional 5 gallons I get in the air space quickly.

I know it is not foam because before I put the filler cap on I see non foamed diesel at the brim.

BTW there are also two check valves to a commen vent line on top of the tank; they will allow air in but will not allow fuel or air out (the best I can tell).

Most stations in Oklahoma have the latch on the fuel pump nozzles.

Hope that answers your questions,

Bob

Old 09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
Yes this is the line you cut. Mine was yellow about 1" dia. While you have the tank out you should do the pre-pump mod also.The quick connect line is known to suck air and the return line on the sending unit should be rerouted.

They have a good kit and instructions .

http://www.dieselmanor.com/fuel/tank_kit.asp

You may have to copy and paste link .When I click on it it goes to motorhaven for some strange reason
I don't see the kit you refer to at this site? Is it needed on '06's?

Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lonewolftx
I don't see the kit you refer to at this site? Is it needed on '06's?
No you don't need it on an 06 and you won't find one for it. They changed the lines when they went to the HFCM.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow Did u do both . . .

Originally Posted by Garrity
Thanks for all the tips.

I harpooned my tank yesterday and it filled up so much easier.

My vent line in my '06 is light blue, by the way, just in case someone else is wondering if they cut the right line (like I was).

I just wish I hadn't waited over 12500 miles to do it!

Mark
Did you only have the Blue vent tube to cut or is the other one there as well to cut if you want? Thinking of doing this to my '06 once the fuel is down.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow More info please . . .

Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
No you don't need it on an 06 and you won't find one for it. They changed the lines when they went to the HFCM.
On the '06's the tube is blue. Where OR is there a filler tube to cut. My filler tube is about 2" wide going to the tank. Does it change to a 1" plastic tube once in the tank? Clearly I haven't taken it apart yet . . .

Want to do both to maximize the fill up, sounds like 5+ gals into the tank.

Quick Reply: Harpoon The Tank?