1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 06:37 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I believe the 97 also uses a different model remote than the later years, so you might want to call the dealer first. It wouldnt help to save some money on Ebay if its the wrong frequency remote.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:49 PM
lm1d
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homer,
I read your story on Ebay and it is certainly tragic. Have you heard any news?
I know its not much, but I promise my wife and I will pray for you and your family. I have a daughter who is 17, while I can only imagine the heartache you are experiencing, I know I would be devastated if my daughter disappeared.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:12 PM
ALL4RD
Junior User
In case anyone is interested. I Just spent the weekend installing the Bulldog system. It was all easy until I hit the door locks. Where I mounted the box, didn't leave me long enough wire to make the connections on the pasenger side kick panel (100% easier)to connect there. So I ended up going at it on the drivers side. The wires there are completely behind the parking brake assembly, which was not coming out for me. So with the P.Brake assembly pulled away from the cab wall I ended up fishing the wire up into the rubber boot between the door and cab. (no fun!) They say not to solder, but for connections there I did solder and heat shrink. Another thing on my 97, the wiring did not match the instruction book colors or the on-line wiring diagram for color, but I do have the ford truck manual and found the right colors. The anti car jacking toggle switch was built cheap and did come apart, so I will contact the company and see if they will send out another, I could buy one but if I bought it with the kit they should replace it. I will wait until next weekend to install the optional automatic windows part of the kit and maybe get some optional sensors.
The one problem I did have was trying to get the 2nd transmitter to code up, after about 20 tries it finally coded. Just make sure you set two days aside to do this job in case you run into problems like I did. Also a good thing to mention is that you install the system with the battery connected, but when you tear apart the dash panels you should disconnect the battery so you don't accidentally fire an airbag the re-connect for the installation.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Matthew Groves
Junior User
I'm all for hearing about others who have installed things on their 97s. Which bulldog system did you get? I've got no garage, so I'll be installing something that has a remote start at the least. Alarm would be icing.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:26 AM
snsgraham
Junior User
Install

ALL4RD,
Thanks for the review, sounds like it was a PITA install?? I still have not bought a system for my truck yet, no time. Maybe in the next couple of weeks it will get done.

Scott

Old 07-26-2004, 09:17 PM
ALL4RD
Junior User
I contacted Bulldog systems and they are sending me a new anti car jacking switch at no cost, so thats a good thing.
I bought the bulldog pro series 7002.JC Whitney, a dollar short of 100 bucks. It is a pretty good system. The basic kit gives you the alarm (multi tone), starter immobilizer,door locks(if you already have power lock doors), 2 remote transmitters (you can have up to 4), A small (not a sore thumb look) led indicator light that tells you when the system is armed and different flashes to tell you what zones have been violated, anti carjacking switch (discount on your insurance when installed) when turned on will give you 1 minute to get out of danger (if your jacked) then blast the alarm indefintely or until you perform a sequence to disarm it, it also prevents your truck from starting again once turned off.. a hidden disarm button. You buy an extra #775 (wiring and relay) with the kit (pretty painless $ )to get keyless window operation, and other options like extra zone sensors,dome light supervision,remote start,trunk pop (if you are putting it on a car) You can change programs with the transmitter to fit your needs and situations, IE; you can have regular (with chirps) arming/disarming or passive(no chirps), 6 chirp car finder, auto passive arming, auto passive arming with door locks, high theift arming, shock sensitivity reduction arming,valet mode arming, current sensors on or off arming, door lock/unlock with ignition on or off arming, you can set it to give off warning chirps and if the sensors are continually violated then it will set off the alarm...etc..after a while it gets mind boggling, but they do give you a wallet card with transmitter remote arming sequences..the funny thing is they give you a "glove box" copy too...duh...I don't think I want a copy of instructions in the glove box for a theif to read.....
I also like the fact that if you arm the system with the truck wide open or locked up and someone has a copy of your key it will not start the truck and of course the alarm goes off.
whew....I do belive most insurance companies give a break $$ when you have the automatic arming with locks and windows. OK one more item, this system boast an 800 yard transmitter range also. I know I can stand in the middle of the house and trigger the system. Maybe tomorrow I will try to trigger it from the back yard throught the bushes to the steelmaster shop. If it can work from there maybe I should see if I can hook up a remote driving system to pull around to the shop? lol

Last edited by ALL4RD; 07-26-2004 at 09:27 PM. Reason: add information
Old 07-27-2004, 09:44 AM
lariatrider
Junior User
LOL @ the glove box copy! DUH!!! yeah a buddy has a 99 Roush f-150 that he parks inside his shop @ work, one night someone broke in and tried to steal the truck. Couldn't start it so they found the lock to the wheels in the glove box and stole them!!!!! who says thiefs aren't smart? Maybe it was just desperate!
lariatrider rides on.....

Old 07-27-2004, 10:17 AM
snsgraham
Junior User
ALL4RD,
Thanks for the great description, I will be ordering one of these soon so expect some more questions when I go to install it.............

You buy an extra #775 (wiring and relay) with the kit (pretty painless $ )to get keyless window operation

What does this mean exactly??

Scott

Old 07-27-2004, 11:24 PM
ALL4RD
Junior User
snsgraham
keyless windows is when you can operate your windows by remote transmitter, you can also have them go up when you arm up, along with or with out the door locks, you can also program the truck to arm, lock and windows up (30 seconds or 1 minute) after the last door is closed, with waring chirps before it locks you out. I haven't programmed mine for that, I set the keys in the console too often if I am heading out again. And all my luck I wouldn't know where my spares were after I got locked out!

A #775 is a relay with plug and wires, it is to handle loads. I also forgot to mention that the starter disabler comes with an inline relay wired in and two other items hook up with pre wired in line fuses. so there is no chance of you frying your wires down the road and is one of the reasons your not trying to break into your fuse block for hook ups.
Like I say installing it is pretty easy, make sure you have a manual for reference, especially if you have not taken your dash panels off before. Another tricky one is, if you have the dash mounted light controls. I had to read it a few times to see what the book was saying. Basically you turn your headlights **** all the way clockwise (to headlights on) pry off the "****" and reinstall the **** 180º clockwise from the position you just took it off and then reinstall the ****, then... turn it clockwise as far as you can and pull out the whole control panel. What this does is releases the locks that hold the whole panel in (too simple!) once you do it once. Now reverse the process to put it back in.

Last edited by ALL4RD; 07-27-2004 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-2004, 10:21 AM
snsgraham
Junior User
keyless windows is when you can operate your windows by remote transmitter What this does is releases the locks that hold the whole panel in (too simple!) once you do it once.

Wow, whooda thunk?? I guess that I will be needing a service manual. Any good advice where to find one?

What would you estimate the time to install all of the bells a whistles on this alarm? This is sounding more and more intimidating.

Scott

Old 07-28-2004, 12:32 PM
ALL4RD
Junior User
I got the ford manual on CD from Ebay and I also have a Hayne manual from Advance Auto.
It looks real intimidating at first but it really isn't. If you want all the extra shock sensors Check with Bulldogsecurity.com for the pro series system and ask for the extra sensors if you want them.
I would give yourself a weekend, just in case. I can't see needing anymore time than that.