2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two questions for the board?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Two questions for the board?

1. In an ealier thread a question was asked about how to remove the Ford emblems on the front and tailgate. Some said they have done it, but didn't say how they did it. I'm guessing just use a flathead screwdriver and ply them off.

2. I'm still evolving what the final look of my truck will be. It's a purty boy type truck and doesn't match what I like in a truck, which is tough looking. One thing I want to do is have flat black bumpers. But I can't find any for sale on the internet, yet. Are there black bumpers available for the new body style 2004? Or, can I get my chrome ones painted black? Which would be the better price? Painting or buying new ones? Thanks.

Old 06-14-2004, 01:22 AM
NightReaver
Senior User
Toreador

1. no answer for ya

2. If you are gonna get yours painted here is an Idea (I'll elaborate in a few.) get them rhino lined. that is a flat black and they would be protected.

Ellaboration:
I also own a 96 ranger 4x2 2.3L reg cab shrt bed
I bought this brand new when I was 19 and have pretty much drivin it into the ground since (no complaints Ford kick ***) I will sell it to my Brother as soon as he pays to haVE it smoged and name changed (and nominal fee of course - hard to part with) our first project for this truck be to take it down and Rhino the entire thing the original white.... yes i said Rhino the whole thing. then we have a few engine mods to make but basically he wants to be able to follow along in it while us older folk cruz the washes donw here in our neck off the woods...but it will get hit a lot from rocks and bushes so I say spare the "paint"

long story over unless asked to continue other projects.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:07 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) You first need to use something to loosen the glue. WD40, kerosene- something to help dissolve the adhesive, otherwise you risk taking the paint off with the label.

2) Get an STX bumper. You could order a new one from a Ford dealer in the original factory black, or get a used one in any color and have it re-painted. It would be a lot easier than trying to paint a chromed one (chrome would have to be removed).

Old 06-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
1) You first need to use something to loosen the glue. WD40, kerosene- something to help dissolve the adhesive, otherwise you risk taking the paint off with the label.
2) Get an STX bumper. You could order a new one from a Ford dealer in the original factory black, or get a used one in any color and have it re-painted. It would be a lot easier than trying to paint a chromed one (chrome would have to be removed).
Thanks, Mark. Will the STX fit the Lariat? And especially on the back where I have the reverse sensing system. I'll look into both options.

Old 06-14-2004, 07:14 PM
twistedrider
New User
1) Try fishing line .. use a sawing motion, then GOO OFF to remove the adhesive .. I've not tried this on the Ford, but have used it to take stuck on emblems off before.

Old 06-15-2004, 01:52 AM
Mojave2k
Senior User
Emblem Removal

Originally Posted by Toreador
1. In an ealier thread a question was asked about how to remove the Ford emblems on the front and tailgate. Some said they have done it, but didn't say how they did it. I'm guessing just use a flathead screwdriver and ply them off.
A good strong dental floss and a sawing motion should cut through the glue and not harm the paint.. then some De-Sol-Vet or other "goo" remover should finish the emblem removal... Mojave

Old 06-15-2004, 06:58 AM
jmizell49
Freshman User
Toreador,
I wanted a two tone truck, but wanted chrome bumpers. I had the arizona biege painted on. Surely you can find someone who wants chrome bumpers and swap for their painted ones. I would thing factory painted bumpers would be easier to paint black than chrome ones.

Old 06-15-2004, 07:35 AM
BlkButy
Elder User
Hey Tor,

I used WD-40 and a hard plastic thin chisel type tool that my neighbor had. It took less than 5 minutes to remove. After it was off I about died from laughter when I saw the big hole there that had absolutely no purpose. So I decided to acetone and put it back on with double-sided adhesive tape and looks sweet. I was going to acetone the side F150 emblems but since my truck is black I like the Chrome/black mixture. You can also remove the BLUE piece in the FORD emblems but heating it up with a heat gun or blow dryer and slowly breaking the plastic to ensure not to scratch the chrome and simply pull the BLUE piece off. I am doing mine today I think if the rain lets up.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by jmizell49
Toreador,
I wanted a two tone truck, but wanted chrome bumpers. I had the arizona biege painted on. Surely you can find someone who wants chrome bumpers and swap for their painted ones. I would thing factory painted bumpers would be easier to paint black than chrome ones.
That might be a good idea. Original paint should be easier to repaint. The only thing is I have the reverse sensing system, so that will limit me a bit on who to trade with. I'll check around in the Arizona forum. Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I'm slowly putting my plans into action. I will post pics, but it will be awhile.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:23 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmizell49
Toreador,
thats a good idea i was pondering trading with someone for chrome. so it would match accessories better; but i think the chrome would look weird with the wedgewood/beige, woud it? the chrome also so it wouldnt look so bad if it got nicked up a little offroading, freeway rock chips and hauling stuff around.

i got reverse sensing too. man i wonder how my truck would look. hey toreador you got the foglights right?

and yes the dentalfloss works great or a small flat screwdriver. make sure you tape up the tip first and use a towel to get leverage when prying.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:21 AM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by blitzen25bm
thats a good idea i was pondering trading with someone for chrome. so it would match accessories better; but i think the chrome would look weird with the wedgewood/beige, woud it? the chrome also so it wouldnt look so bad if it got nicked up a little offroading, freeway rock chips and hauling stuff around.
i got reverse sensing too. man i wonder how my truck would look. hey toreador you got the foglights right?
and yes the dentalfloss works great or a small flat screwdriver. make sure you tape up the tip first and use a towel to get leverage when prying.
I do have the foglights. Not sure how chrome would match with wedgewood/beige combo. You might try to find one on cardomain.com they have 68 current pictures of 2004 F150 trucks there. Plus this forum has many gallerys. I think you have a better chance of finding a trade in California than I here in Arizona. Good luck, which ever you decide.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:24 AM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by BlkButy
Hey Tor,

I used WD-40 and a hard plastic thin chisel type tool that my neighbor had. It took less than 5 minutes to remove. After it was off I about died from laughter when I saw the big hole there that had absolutely no purpose. So I decided to acetone and put it back on with double-sided adhesive tape and looks sweet. I was going to acetone the side F150 emblems but since my truck is black I like the Chrome/black mixture. You can also remove the BLUE piece in the FORD emblems but heating it up with a heat gun or blow dryer and slowly breaking the plastic to ensure not to scratch the chrome and simply pull the BLUE piece off. I am doing mine today I think if the rain lets up.
That sounds like an interesting idea. I'm considering the carbon fiber overlay available on Ebay, but would love to see a pic of your results. So far you are way ahead of me in getting your mods done.