Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 06:01 AM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Confusion

I posted a similar question a couple of weeks ago, but I have more questions. In Dec Ford reflashed me to cure a rough idle. But since then, I have developed a "shift flair" that happens only going into overdrive and about only 15 percent of the time. I am out of warranty now, and don't really want another reflash from Ford. I want a valve that will work in conjunction with my SCMT and not give me "slamming" shifts. I also dont want to "stack" line pressure increases with my SCMT. I just need a little more. Maybe I just need a valve that will hold pressure a little longer so the shift will complete. I like the firmness of the shifts with my SCMT, but I need to get rid of the flair. What tranny upgrade should I consider to solve this? I have found out that there are many options available and I want to do it only once. So, what is working for everybody?

Old 06-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
If you can dial out the line pressure increases from the tuner, I'd go with a Sonnax valve and Tricumulator springs.

Old 06-12-2004, 03:33 PM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
What happens if I can't? Does the line pressure double up? Or does it just add where the tuner stops. I guess what I am asking is if the SCMT bumps line pressure to, say 100 psi and the Sonnax bumps it to 120 psi, does this mean I get a cumulation of both or do I get just the extra 20 psi? I don't think I can delete the trans line pressure file from the tuner, it does not have that option. Unless Superchips can take it and reprogram it. Or I wonder if the new SCMT has a trans shift option feature.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:05 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just got my sonnax valve and tricumutator springs but i have not installed them yet. i have done a good amount of research on them. the valve increases line pressure(how much i dont know) the springs quicken the shifts- 1-2,2-3, and 3-4(it comes with 3 springs). i have heard of people just putting in the valve because they thought the two combined were a little to firm. you can also customise the kit buy(in your case) putting in the valve and only the 3-4 shift spring. the problem with doing a trial and error aproach is that every time you want to change it you have to drop the trans pan and take out the valve body.
www.dieselinovations.com has install instructions and info on them on thier web site, you may want to check it out or even give em a call

Old 06-12-2004, 08:08 PM
BagStroke
Senior User
Originally Posted by wlihntr
i just got my sonnax valve and tricumutator springs but i have not installed them yet. i have done a good amount of research on them. the valve increases line pressure(how much i dont know) the springs quicken the shifts- 1-2,2-3, and 3-4(it comes with 3 springs). i have heard of people just putting in the valve because they thought the two combined were a little to firm. you can also customise the kit buy(in your case) putting in the valve and only the 3-4 shift spring. the problem with doing a trial and error aproach is that every time you want to change it you have to drop the trans pan and take out the valve body.
www.dieselinovations.com has install instructions and info on them on thier web site, you may want to check it out or even give em a call
If you want just the valve go directly to sonnax they sell just the valve for $21.00 or something in that neighborhood?? What wlihntr said is right on!!