6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Will they ever stop the leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 11:50 PM
dslbrnr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will they ever stop the leak

A guy at work just bought a new 04/04 CC 4x4. It was parked next to another 6.0, 03 I think. I just thought I would take a look at the bell housing and guess what both had the drip. Is it that difficult to make a rear main seal not leak the first time. I would think that the 04/04 would be fixed by now.
I was told that only the first 6.0's had leaks because of the crank shaft not being machined right and polished corectely, but what is going on.
I had two previous 6.0's both with problems and both gone now. I want to buy another Ford, but to be honest I'm a little concerned.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Hayapower!
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dslbrnr
A guy at work just bought a new 04/04 CC 4x4. It was parked next to another 6.0, 03 I think. I just thought I would take a look at the bell housing and guess what both had the drip. Is it that difficult to make a rear main seal not leak the first time. I would think that the 04/04 would be fixed by now.
I was told that only the first 6.0's had leaks because of the crank shaft not being machined right and polished corectely, but what is going on.
I had two previous 6.0's both with problems and both gone now. I want to buy another Ford, but to be honest I'm a little concerned.

Mine has had 3 Rear Mains, once, I believe was because of a Tech error on a Rear Engine Cover re-seal.. It happens, but I rode them hard to get it corked up.. There is alot speculation as to why they leak, but no one can seem to point a decisive finger at a singular cause.. And, there is more than one place that a 6.0 can leak from, and appear as a Rear Main.. Mine is now totally DRY.. And it is an early build 1/03.. Ford has been really good at 'taking on' the repairs, and chances are that the later builds will have less problems.. If it's just a mark on the bell housing, could be just extra lube, but a 'hanging drip' usually indicates a leak.. Would a drip, or leak keep me from buying one...No.. But It would at the dealer until it's dry.. Some owners don't really care.. Awesome trucks though, even with the inconveniences....

.................HP.....................

Old 06-04-2004, 05:31 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Mine is now dry after the second RMS. But almost all have the hanging drip from excess assembly lube. Does it leave a small puddle on the ground. If not it is probably the assembly lube getting hot and forming the drip on the bell housing.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:18 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SBV45
Mine is now dry after the second RMS. But almost all have the hanging drip from excess assembly lube. Does it leave a small puddle on the ground. If not it is probably the assembly lube getting hot and forming the drip on the bell housing.
Exactly....it might not be the RMS

Old 06-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Hjudge49
Elder User
I saw an interesting and logical theory on 6.0 oil leaks either on another thread or on the other forum. The theory is that the initial oil pressure with cold oil is so high that the seals can't contain it. If you start up and immeditely go to highway speed, the oil pressure is over 100psi and so the oil seeps until it thins out an the pressure reduces. That actually makes some sense to me. If you allow the engine to warm up at idle, the oil thins before the revs come up and it won't leak. I had my RMS replaced at about 5000mi. It's never leaked since, but then I was never sure it was actually leaking. My dealer saw the residue and just changed it without testing with dye.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Hjudge49
I saw an interesting and logical theory on 6.0 oil leaks either on another thread or on the other forum. The theory is that the initial oil pressure with cold oil is so high that the seals can't contain it. If you start up and immeditely go to highway speed, the oil pressure is over 100psi and so the oil seeps until it thins out an the pressure reduces. That actually makes some sense to me. If you allow the engine to warm up at idle, the oil thins before the revs come up and it won't leak. I had my RMS replaced at about 5000mi. It's never leaked since, but then I was never sure it was actually leaking. My dealer saw the residue and just changed it without testing with dye.

Way more than 100, however the point you and many have tried to make.
Let these things warm up completely.
It is imperative.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:20 AM
Hjudge49
Elder User
If you ever go to a marina and watch the Sportfishing boats get ready to leave, you will notice that we fire up the diesels at least ten minutes before we leave the dock. By the time we get to an area where we cna use the power, everything is up to operating temps. I'm as guilty as anyone else for firing the 6.0 and just driving off, but at least I have a long slow drive to hit pavement.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:26 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dslbrnr
"a guy at work.."
"I had two previous.."
two post....
I'm a little concerned that we may want to be skeptical of this...

cuz, you see, my sisters brother-in-laws cousin has gone thru 5 6.0's....

Old 06-04-2004, 11:19 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well...I am confused again. Not that it takes much. In another thread there was discussion about idling being detrimental to our high tech, tight spec., 6.0 diesels. Thus, the discussion regarding AIC's.

Now this discussion turns to the importance of pre-drive warm up.

I have a ten mimute drive, or less, to my office. If warm up at idle is 5 - 10 minutes or more...well...just doesn't seem practical for me.

Should I plug it in every night to start with a warm engine? Would that help?

I currently have no leaks @ 3,600 miles or any appreciable issues other than a slight possible A/C concern.

As I have stated in other threads...I love my truck. (my entire family thinks I am nuts)But I am not sure that I have the time or inclination to watch over it as close as some would indicate is necessary.

It's a truck. Not only that, it's a Ford Tough truck. A diesel truck. A tank.

Sorry to get off on that. Not complaining. Just confussed.

And where the heck is the spll chek button around here?.

Thanks and best regards to all.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:33 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
the speel checker I (sometimes - not this time) use is here --
http://www.iespell.com/

Some of us get off on tangents and "discuss" things to the Nth degree...

oil, for instance...

while just about any properly rated oil will do MOST of us fine...
some are discussing the benefit of this and that so your engine will last 1 gazillion miles.
some things are like the "boxers or brief" question - there is not right (or wrong) answer...
it's just a preference...

Guess what...
I NEVER wait on the glow plug light to go out...
I crank it like a gasser,
I never warm it up, just go - now I do take it easy for a bit... but do just go...

When I want to, I idle it as long as I want - My black Ex gets HOT in the Texus Sun !!!

and guess what... mines running fine...

granted - I could take better care of it for that 1 gazillion mile aim...
but I could also take better care of ME, my wife, my house .... etc...

just do your best and enjoy it !
If it's meant to break - it will no matter WHAT you do :-)

flippant attitude ?!?!?
Yes - to me there are more important things to worry about !

Old 06-04-2004, 11:51 AM
dslbrnr
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
"a guy at work.."
"I had two previous.."
two post....
I'm a little concerned that we may want to be skeptical of this...

cuz, you see, my sisters brother-in-laws cousin has gone thru 5 6.0's....
Thats pretty funny, what do I have to give names as to who owns the trucks in the parking lot, maybe license plates.
I have had two 6.0's, you can believe me or not, although the first one lasted a week because of turbo and electrical problems and was replaced by the dealer. The second one had the RMS leak and I sold that one.
I did buy a Duramax and it has had no engine or trans problems, but I want to buy another Ford because I think they are a better, faster and tougher truck. I also liked the ride better in the Ford. I loved that truck, but was worried about so many problems they were having.
I have had numerous post's on other forums and was lucky enough to find this one.
I am not a "trull" and sorry if I missed spelled a word or two!
I do want another F250 but I have a hard time believing that they haven't solved this problem with the RMS.
I'm sure you will see more post's out of me.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:51 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
jd:

In the famous words of THE KING.

Thank you...thank you very muuuuch.

Somebody needed to say that.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:50 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Great !
Do contribute to this super Ford Enthusiasts Site !

Old 06-04-2004, 02:44 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Hjudge49
I heard that one. Choctaw Bob swears as soon as he went over to synthetic (Mobil Delvac 1) the leak went away. I am still using Castrol 15-40. After some cleanup by the diesel tech, the drip went away.

I asked the diesel tech at my shop and he said the RMS is under low oil pressure and should not be a factor.

I just know mine's not leaking.