1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Remote Start/Alarm Combo choices for 2002 PSD Lariat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 01:56 PM
4Diesel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know which aftermarket product will work for me? Have a 2002 SD 6-speed manual shift Diesel in the Lariat trim (means I have power door locks as standard)...
Want to add a remote start and alarm...I know a few that would work with the older models...even 2001 but the 02 are different and mine's a manual shift too...any help is much appreciated.
thanks!

Old 04-10-2002, 03:29 PM
harryball
Senior User

The ONLY one I've found that met my requirements is the Ford OE system produced my Code Alarm. I have to say it works well, and you get a new remote instead of this locking doors twice crap.

However, I have it installed and it has one problem. When you autostart or leave the vehicle running ( exit and take the keys and lock up ) it will run for 15 minutes and then shut off. On 2002 models with new wiring, the shutoff causes the alarm system to trip. They first tried to convince me this was a "feature". I told them just because they didn't know how to fix something does not mean you can redefine it as a feature.

The leave run feature is fantastic for short stops plus you can leave your truck idle down the Ford recc. cooling time after heavy towing, after 15 minutes is ( should ) shut it self off and sit quietly. Currently it shuts itself off and announces that fact loudly.

Currently, I'm waiting for the fix. I'm sure it will come because the local dealer in Atlanta that installed it has begun having the same problem with his other 2002 installations.

Another qwirk of the 2002 is the door lock system. It boils down to, if you lock the doors on your truck as you exit with the door switch, after 20 seconds the door switches will no longer actuate the door locks. So a coathanger pushing the door lock will no longer work... the qwirk? Well, it also means when you return your alarm remote ( the factory will ) will not unlock your doors, you have to disarm and then use the key.

There is a fix that but it also defeats the switch disable, so I decided to keep it as is. Now when I leave my truck for a few days or a week at a marina while we're cruising, I use the inside lock as I exit and at least in my mind, the truck is more secure. So it makes me happy... so why change it?

Finally, based on my experience these are two features I suggest anyone add to their alarm system.
1) A weather proof toggle switch hidden in the grill or fender that will disable the siren. Great for when the Marina calls and want's to tow your truck because it won't shut up.
2) A momentary switch under the dash, hidden, that bypasses the starter disable feature. Not the normal button they give you, but one in the wires that when you push it the alarm system is out of the loop.

Robert

Old 04-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Diesel4WD
New User

Whew....thanks harryball.....I thought I was the only one with those weird problems. I had the same system factory installed on mine and ran into every single problem you did., I just haven't had a chance to take it back to see why they happened. So, your message helps make sense of it all. I will still go to my dealer to get that fix for the remote start timing out at 15 min and tripping the alarm. But, the funny thing is that mine doesn't always trip the alarm when it shuts off.....it does about 50% of the time. If you find out the fix before I do, can you post? Otherwise, I love the system. Another feature I don't think you mentioned was that when you remote start it and someone still somehow gets in, there is no chance of someone driving off without the key because as soon as you press the brake to shift into drive, the system kills the engine.

hb....you mentioned something about having a press switch near the grille that will arm the truck without the shock sensor.....you do know you can do that with your remote by arming it and pressing both the top two buttons(arm and disarm) at the same time.......

....I wish I could find my valet switch......forgot to ask the dealer where they put it....

2002 F-250 PSD CC 4WD Lariat, every option possible, drk gray and black with gray leather interior, Linex, Ford Gold security package w/remote start......

Old 04-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Jaseun
Junior User

>Does anyone know which aftermarket product will work for me?
>Have a 2002 SD 6-speed manual shift Diesel in the Lariat
>trim (means I have power door locks as standard)...
>Want to add a remote start and alarm...I know a few that
>would work with the older models...even 2001 but the 02 are
>different and mine's a manual shift too...any help is much
>appreciated.
>thanks!

I bought a Crimestopper CS-2011RS it does all the standard things the factory system does. I've used CS in the past and have been very happy with their quality and tech support. I havent installed it in my new truck yet. One word of warning with a manual transmission. If you start your truck and have left it in gear you're gonna do some major damage to whatever or whoever is in front of it when it starts. And it will at least roll from the starter motor itself. My buddy had a honda 89 CRX HF and he started it accidentaly while in gear and it did damage to the foundation of his garage from the starter motor alone. DAmaged his front bumper too. I don't know if the factory manual transmission has a neutral switch but I wouldn't not even consider putting one in with out some form of safety cut off like a neutral switch. btw the CRX had the parking brake on and it just dragged the rear wheels along with it. Good luck and check out www.crimestopper.com I bought mine for $79 on ebay. -Jaseun

Old 04-10-2002, 08:03 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru

Jaseun,

Thats funny stuff. I'm lazy I got an auto(and proud of it).

Old 04-11-2002, 10:44 AM
harryball
Senior User

I know others out there had the same problems, and you are right... it doesn't ALWAYS trip... but most of the time. I has to do with the inside accessory/light delay... if you hold your mouth right, stand on one foot while pushing the button, it won't trip. I don't know what causes the inconsistency, but for me it trips 90% of the time.

Also, try this, it's related... autostart, while still in the 15 second glowplug warm up delay, cancel the request by pushing the blue button again... badaa boom badaa bam... the alarm trips. I candidly asked the guy "now, what feature is that?"

The switch in my grill doesn't disable the shock sensor... it literally cuts power to the siren, as if you unpluged it. Lights flash and the alarm is still tripped... it's just mute. I can let the dockmaster know ahead of time where the switch is, it makes them more comfortable too, they know they can shut it up. It's quiet common, and many on the coast when I ask if I can leave my truck and trailer ask if there is an alarm and either not to arm it or disable the noise maker etc...

I will post any fixes I encounter.

Robert

Old 05-15-2002, 07:52 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
Post Remote Start/Alarm Combo choices for 2002 PSD Lariat?

I tried installing a Viper alarm / remote stater yesterday. On two different web sites I found a wiring diagram that both showed the same wire for tach and wait to start. All 3 harnesses behind the instrument cluster have the same color wire, and when I hook up a volt meter they don't seem to be correct. Any one have any problems finding these two wires, or can any one give me some direction.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 05-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Jaseun
Junior User

The wait to start light is a negative trigger from the BCM. That means you'll put the positive lead of your meter to a 12v hot source like the cigarette lighter. Then use the negative lead to probe the suspect wire. The tach signal is an AC voltage, you'll have to connect one of your voltmeter leads to chassis ground and with the other lead probe the wire in question. I recently installed a system and found the tach wire is not a reliable source for my remote start system (too short crank times). I was told by the manufacturer that the crank position sensor is better to use.-Jaseun

Old 05-21-2002, 12:27 PM
rmilchman
Elder User

Thanks, how difficult was it to connect to the crank sensor? I ended up using voltage sensing. I'm also trying to figure out how to disable the dome light activation when shutting down the truck. Unfortunately Ford has said there is nothing that can be done about it. What happens is if the auto run feature on the remote starter is used, when it shuts down the viper alarm sounds thinking a door was opened. When in reality the automatic dome light came on from shutting off the ignition. Not that big of a deal the alarm rings for 30 seconds, but kind of annoying (for others).

Old 05-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Jaseun
Junior User

>Thanks, how difficult was it to connect to the crank sensor?
> I ended up using voltage sensing. I'm also trying to
>figure out how to disable the dome light activation when
>shutting down the truck. Unfortunately Ford has said there
>is nothing that can be done about it. What happens is if
>the auto run feature on the remote starter is used, when it
>shuts down the viper alarm sounds thinking a door was
>opened. When in reality the automatic dome light came on
>from shutting off the ignition. Not that big of a deal the
>alarm rings for 30 seconds, but kind of annoying (for
>others).

I actually haven't done the cps yet. I was told by the manufacturer that voltage sensing is not reliable when you have two batteries like my truck does. I'm not sure why the dome light would come on when you shut down the truck. Thats interesting, mine does not do that. My system controls the dome light as opposed to the truck controlling the light. I have not tried the idle down yet, I mean I have but I shut it down manually. Never tried to let it time out. I don't think the alarm ringing for 30 seconds would sit well with me though. I live in a townhouse community and I also have the horn honk hooked up! How cool is it to watch your neighbors outside when you remote start your truck!? -Jaseun

Old 05-21-2002, 05:27 PM
rmilchman
Elder User

My truck came with the security package, which includes keyless entry, auto headlights and I believe the dome light also. My neighbors would not really like the 30 second blast either.

As your mine has the dual batteries, so far the low voltage option has not been a problem.

I really like is the 1000' range I get with the viper.

Old 05-21-2002, 09:29 PM
jelrod_tn
Freshman User

Old 05-22-2002, 08:23 AM
harryball
Senior User

The autorun to shutdown / alarm trip problem is totally unacceptable. Everyone here PLEASE call your dealer and raise holy heck about it. I have been, they've tried every excuse in the book and even tried to call it a "feature". I told them just because you don't know how to fix it does not mean you can call it a feature.

I've asked for it to be removed and give me my money back for the defective system last week. Now "we're looking at the issue".

Robert